Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 10:02
I have a R2 deadline coming up and my recommender seems to be ignoring my contact. He submitted a rec letter for one other school so he already has the content on file that he can reuse. It sucks that he dropped off the face of the earth and I'll take the hint that he doesn't want to help anymore. I'm considering not applying to the school even after spending weeks on the essays. I'm not certain that I can find a replacement with just days left until the deadline. Anyone been in this situation before?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 13:28
Expert's post
Wow... that's a strange one. No contact whatsoever? Weird. Might have either had a personal situation come up ... or.. maybe just isn't the right person to recommend you. In these situations, I always encourage applicants to reach out to the school in question and determine if there's any flexibility given the fact that you've lost contact w/ this person.

Better to do that -- while the answer might be 'no' -- than just give up entirely without even asking.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 14:20
brianlange77 wrote:
Wow... that's a strange one. No contact whatsoever? Weird. Might have either had a personal situation come up ... or.. maybe just isn't the right person to recommend you. In these situations, I always encourage applicants to reach out to the school in question and determine if there's any flexibility given the fact that you've lost contact w/ this person.

Better to do that -- while the answer might be 'no' -- than just give up entirely without even asking.

Good luck!!

-Brian

He finally responded but he doesn't sound enthusiastic. It feels like I'm forcing him to help write the letter, but it shouldn't be that way right? I don't feel confident that he would put in a strong effort on the letter.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 0

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 08:08
Expert's post
It should definitely not feel that way. It's strange that this is the reaction you're getting after he's already submitted one letter for you. At this point, it's a gut call. If this is a school you really want to go to, then it might be in your best interest to shelf the app and go for next year instead of putting forward a mediocre app and becoming a reapplicant next year. If, however, this is a safety then you might be ok but without knowing the strength of your profile that's difficult to say.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.87
WE: Analyst (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:38
I had the exact same situation for R2 deadlines - recommender wrote my MIT letter (which was presumably good because I was admitted) then became unresponsive. I audibled to a different recommender one week before the deadlines who, after hearing my story, completely understood and was willing to submit a strong letter on my behalf.

I think that you should seek out someone else - who is likely to be sympathetic to your plight - as quickly as possible since the experience of not being able to apply to one of your top choices sounds dreadful. That said, it may be more difficult to choose this route if the individual in question is supposed to be your strongest "direct supervisor" reference.
Expert Post

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 19:17
Expert's post
I agree with Towski here ... look, at the end of the day, we're all human beings and sometimes.. stuff happens. All that said, it's better to go with a quality submission than stick with one that just isn't going to work out. It's also a good lesson/reminder on the value of backup/contingency planning in b-school (and in life!)

Brian461 -- What happened in your situation? Any lessons / experiences to share with group?

Best,

-Brian

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 19:54
brianlange77 wrote:
I agree with Towski here ... look, at the end of the day, we're all human beings and sometimes.. stuff happens. All that said, it's better to go with a quality submission than stick with one that just isn't going to work out. It's also a good lesson/reminder on the value of backup/contingency planning in b-school (and in life!)

Brian461 -- What happened in your situation? Any lessons / experiences to share with group?

Best,

-Brian

The recommender finally responded, but as I mentioned, he didn't sound enthusiastic. However, the deadline was too close so I asked him for a favor. I was prepared to contact someone else as a backup in case he didn't follow through. I don't think he submitted anything bad, but I'm not sure how strong it was and I have no way of knowing. I'm just glad that I was able to submit the application on time.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 08:17
Do you know if there is a chance the school will contact your recommender later for further questions or verification?
Expert Post

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2014, 08:00
Expert's post
cowboy wrote:
Do you know if there is a chance the school will contact your recommender later for further questions or verification?

You should never say 'never', but generally this is a VERY rare phenomenon. Usually, this contact would only happen if there were some sort of gigantic outlier identified in the process and or review of the letter itself. Hope this helps.

-Brian

Re: Potentially missing a deadline because of recommender   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2014, 08:00