Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PowerPrep Accuracy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

PowerPrep Accuracy [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2003, 19:46
Can anyone who has taken the ETS PowerPrep as well as the real GMAT comment on the similarity or dissimilarity of those scores? I just completed the PowerPrep Test1 and earned a 740 (49 Quant, 43 Verbal). Will this be anything like the real test??? Also, upon reviewing I made some BAD RUSHING mistakes along the way, as this is the first time I have done any of this in a timed environment, and had 17 mins left for Quant, I need to review the timing techniques on this site.

Thanks for anyone's input, and good luck to all.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: PowerPrep Accuracy [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2003, 20:36
740 on PP is a really good score! From what I understand, what you get on the PP tests is going to be very close to what you'd get on the real thing. The scoring system is identical since they are both created by ETS.

I'm writing my first PP practice exam in a couple of weeks (I plan on doing some more studying and another practice exam before I use up a PP), but hopefully, I'll be able to pull of a great score like you have.

Keep it up!

mciatto wrote:
Can anyone who has taken the ETS PowerPrep as well as the real GMAT comment on the similarity or dissimilarity of those scores? I just completed the PowerPrep Test1 and earned a 740 (49 Quant, 43 Verbal). Will this be anything like the real test??? Also, upon reviewing I made some BAD RUSHING mistakes along the way, as this is the first time I have done any of this in a timed environment, and had 17 mins left for Quant, I need to review the timing techniques on this site.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2423

Kudos [?]: 10428 [0], given: 3784

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: PowerPrep Accuracy [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2003, 17:35
Expert's post
mciatto wrote:

That's pretty good. I took PP and got 740 and the next day I had 750 on the real test. Go Take the GMAT!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

but my CR [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2003, 05:40
however, I got 4 CR wrong, which I really think I can improve upon. Also, since I will be applying to schools with relatively little work experience, I really want to do well in those areas I can control (test score) to make up for those I cannot (age/experience). So I got two LSAT books and have been working through their CR section, to polish that up...would much rather overstudy than understudy.

As sick as it sounds, my study habits have become part of my day, and look forward to learning and improving everyday!

Good luck!
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2003, 12:04
Just my observation and from those of my students, the Q section of the GMAT "appears" to be a little tougher than that of the PP exams. I took the GMAT twice in the last 6 months and was surprised at how difficult the Q section was and how close I came to running out of time (i have never even come close to running out of time on any practice exam).

BEfore anyone attacks me, this is just my personal observation and secondhand observations from over a dozen of my students. Your mileage may vary.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2003, 12:16
How similar was your score to PP?

Tests are graded on a curve, if tougher, it depends on how you do to others. Yooho, AkamiBrah :twisted:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2003, 05:45
I have been practicing and studying for 3 months using Kaplan, PR and the Official Guide. Did the Powerprep two times and got 700, then went and took the real GMAt and got an awful 480 mainly because I sucked at the quantitative part. So my experience is that the real GMAT ( the quatitave part actually) is much much tougher than the powerprep. I want to retake it, but really don't know what else to do to improve my score.
Some of the questions I got in the test I had never seen in none of the preparation books. I mean, really weird and hard stuff. Anybody has advise for me as to what to do next to improve my Quant score?
Thanks.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2003, 05:38
I would make it a point to get really good at Kaplan Quant questions.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2423

Kudos [?]: 10428 [0], given: 3784

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2003, 11:57
Expert's post
callita wrote:
I have been practicing and studying for 3 months using Kaplan, PR and the Official Guide. Did the Powerprep two times and got 700, then went and took the real GMAt and got an awful 480 mainly because I sucked at the quantitative part. So my experience is that the real GMAT ( the quatitave part actually) is much much tougher than the powerprep. I want to retake it, but really don't know what else to do to improve my score.
Some of the questions I got in the test I had never seen in none of the preparation books. I mean, really weird and hard stuff. Anybody has advise for me as to what to do next to improve my Quant score?
Thanks.

I think GMAC attempts to make you see new things on the GMAT - they have ignored this for a few years; I think up till a year or two ago, and now they attempt to bring in new and un-explored GMAT questions so that you could not prepare in advance, but rather face something new on the test day. They figured they had to test not math, but rather something more and one ways I guess is to get you faced with an un-usual problem you never solved. This is how I see it.

Probably Kaplan and their hard questions will be very helpful.

BB
  [#permalink] 09 Aug 2003, 11:57