Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Powerprep and quant scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Powerprep and quant scores [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2004, 08:07
Just wondering how much difference a mistake can make in each section. Since powerprep is based on real scoring algorithm, ppl's experience on that can help.
For ppl who got 50 in quant in PP, did they get any questions wrong? How abt ppl with 49, 48,47, etc - how many incorrect questions. If we know that, we can approximate on how much an incorrect question costs on avg. (I agree it cannot be accurate coz of varying difficulty, etc).

Same for verbal. If ppl can post what they got in verbal section in PP and how many were incorrect, we can approximate on how much difference incorrect answers make on the score.

Just curious about how much margin for error one has to attain a particular score.

thanks a lot
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2004, 14:30
I did the 1st powerprep test....not at a good time which probably led to some stupid mistakes.
Anyways I got 5 incorrect answers in quant (only 28 questions were used to score...remaining 9 questions were not counted in score) and I got 49. Out of the 5, I think only 1 was a difficult q rest were medium-easy. I believe it is possible to get a score of 51 in quant even after making 1 mistake, and possibly a score of 50 for upto 3-4 mistakes. That is a pretty decent margin of error...specially if there are no stupid mistakes.
Would help if someone else can post how many mistakes they had in powerprep and got scores of 51,50, 49. thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 02:55
very good issue raised by moody
I ran through PP several times:

1) I made 1 mistake in Quant twice and my score was 50, so 51 is only possible with perfect math

2) 2 mistakes in Quant gave me 50

3) 3 to 5 mistakes in Quant gave me 49

4) 2 or 3 mistakes in Verbal gave me 48

total summary:
no mistakes in Quant, 1 in Verbal - 790
no mistakes in Quant, 2 in Verbal - 790
1 mistake in Quant, 2 in Verbal - 780
1 mistake in Quant, 3 in Verbal - 780
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 11:38
The scoring mechanism for the PowerPrep test might be more complicated than counting the number of missed questions. I missed 3 or 4 in quant and received a 50. If the PowerPrep is just adding the number missed for a calculation, then it's impossible to get a 60...?

If the PP test uses an algorithm similar or identical to the actual GMAT, then it matters where the questions were missed and what questions were wrong before that question. For example, if you miss question 1, then you're basically screwed since you'll have to "convince" the GMAT program that you're a strong scorer for most of the remainder of the test. The GMAT is trying to arrive at a consistency...the number right or wrong is all relative.

Here's what puzzles me about your scores. If you missed one and got a 50 in quant, and I missed 3 or 4 and got a 50...then the number missed is most likely an incorrect sole consideration. My guess, based upon the intent of the GMAT, is that you missed an early question (?). My first wrong answer came after question 10-12 or so. If the scoring range is up to 60, then a perfect score probably is a 60...while a 51 is a 99th percentile score...a big difference.

I would like to see the scoring algorithm as much as anyone, and I'm sure it's complicated.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 677 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2004, 12:23
Hey guys

We all want to know all kinds of stats about a scoring model.

I wouldnt worry too much about the scoring model. just take it one question at a time. if you think about the scoring model now, it would only make you conscious of how you are doing on your test and thats the last thing you want. I have heard many guys say.. they thought they did horrible on the test , but when they saw their scores , they were surprised. Then they went on to say that .. because they think they bad on the quant.. they didnt take the verbal seriously and ended up with a less than expected score.

Go out there and do you best with every single question. As simple as that.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 06:32
Praet,

Good point on attitude for the test. At the same time, test takers should consider the value of each question, so scoring does matter. Using more time, if necessary, for the first 5 (or 10 or 15) problems is due to the weight of those problems. Conversely, using less time for the last 5 or so problems is okay because the score is much more established by then. When I take the test, I'm more likely to guess toward the end if I'm running short on time. I agree that having a short-term memory when moving on to the next problem is important since the decrease in morale from a difficult previous question and its less-than-confident answer may become a distraction. Being aware of how the test scores is significant for planning a strategy on timing and realizing the value of guessing techniques. On one PP test, I spent eight minutes on a question since it was #7 on the list. No way would I miss that one. I got the right answer and had to whiz (reasonably) through many more questions to make-up time. Even if I was left with three minutes for the last 5 questions, I will take that gamble. If I treated all questions equally, I would have guessed at the two minute mark.

I also understand that investigating the nuances of the scoring algorithm is a waste of time. I should focus my attention on my test taking skills.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2004, 15:23
Good point Praetorian, that almost happened to me, I thought that I had tanked the Q section and during the break I was even considering canceling my score. Fortunately I stuck with it and ended up with a 98% on my verbal. My Q was a 45(78%) which to be honest was a disappointment since in my practice tests I always did better in math(averaging about 48-50). I ended up with a 710 which was above my target score of 700 but I'm still dissapointed with the math score. Until recently I was still considering retaking the GMAT again but even though I can probably improve the math I doubt I can replicate the verbal so I'm just applying with this score. Hopefully that 45 will not cost me in the application process...

I'm new to this board and I wanted to let you guys know that you are doing a great job here, keep it up!

Cris
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2004, 15:23