Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PP3 Test #1 - 710 (Q49, V38) - need advice

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

PP3 Test #1 - 710 (Q49, V38) - need advice [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 15:53
Hello all,

I just gave my PP3 test#1, and scored 710. Although I do not consider the score bad, I was slightly disappointed, knowing that PP3 is supposedly easier than GMATPrep and actual GMAT.

On verbal, I scored 38, and I had to rush through the last 3-4 questions because I was short on time. I got 4 passaged, where 2 were more than 65 lines! On RC passages, I just got one question incorrect, which is good.

Most of my mistakes were on SC and RC. While I was expecting some SC mistakes, RC was my strong point, and I am worried now. Most of my SC mistakes were either on idioms and/or parallelism. I intend to go over them from MGMAT SC again.

CR took me by shock - I got 3-4 CRs incorrect. Most of them were "which of these, if true, would weaken the authors argument" type. One of the 4 I got incorrect was guessed since I was short on time.

I got a total of 9 verbal incorrect, and 4 quantitative incorrect. *ALL* my quantitative mistakes were really silly! I felt like kicking myself after seeing the answer.

I am looking for help from GMATClubbers. What can I do to :
1) Improve my CR (I follow Kaplan method to attack CR, and I had very good success rate when I went over OG11. I was getting over 95% correct)
2) Improve my timing. Most of my time was spent on RC - and arguably I did really well on that section too! Rhyme's method to skim over paragraph 2 and higher does not work well for me, particularly for global questions, so I read the entire paragraph.
3) Can someone please critique my AWA below?

My target score is 740 or higher. I intend to apply to ISB, IIM and some other highly competetive US colleges (Wharton, Kellogg). While the average GMAT for ISB is around 700, I have lower work experience (3 years), average undergrad GPA (3.66), and from technology industry (Software Engineer Lead), so I need to compensate these weaknesses with higher GMAT and essays.

If I am missing any information please post it here - I will reply promptly.

Thanks in advance to all gmatiers.


--- AWA ---
Analysis of Argument:
Question stem: The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine on lifestyles.

"Two years ago, City L was listed 14th in an annual survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them. This information will enable people who are moving to the state in which City L is located to confidently identify one place, at least, where schools are good, housing is affordable, people are friendly, the environment is safe, and the arts flourish."

Answer:
The author of fails to substantiate his argument that people living in City L will find a place with good schools, affordable housing, friendly people, safe environment, and flourishing arts. The author makes several critical assumptions based on the annual survey done two years ago. The most important assumptions are the validity of survey two years ago, the meaning of quality of life, missing information on the number of cities surveyed, and the scientific nature of the survey.

First and foremost, the survey was taken two years ago. Many things may have changed in two years - for example, city L may have had more industries that pollute the environment. Being from a big city, I have realised that to maintain good quality of living, the citizens of the city need to be proactive, and the government need to support legislations that can make the city better. For instance, Mumbai, a city in west of India was a flourishing city few years ago. However, due to better quality of living, lots of people from other rural areas migrated to Mumbai. The immigrants made the roads dirty, the housing prices increased, and the quality of living decreased.

Additionally, the author does not mention the parameters considered by the survey adminstrators to determine quality of living. "Quality of living" is a very subjective term - it may mean different things to different people. For instance, I equate quality of living to higher wages, faster transportation, and sophisticated health infrastucture. The author makes the assumption that a higher quality of living equates to better education, affordable housing, friendly people, safe environment, and flourishing arts, but does not mention these criteria as part of the survey.

In addition to the above two points, the author fails to mention how many cities were included in the survey. City L may be ranked 14th, but if the survey only included 15 cities, that is not considered good. The absence of this information weakens his argument considerably, making his conclusion invalid.

Finally, the author fails to mention the scientific nature of the survey. He does how many people were surveyed, what kind of demographic and occupational background these people had, and what questions were posed to the panelists to arrive at the result. For example, if the survey consisted of high-income residents of City L, the survey results will certainly be flawed in favor of City L, since these people have the means to afford better education and house.

Due to the aforementioned reasons, the argument made by the author, claiming City L to have a better quality of living, is incomplete and unreasonable. The assumptions and missing information explained above make the conclusion invalid.
-------------------------------------------------------

Analysis of issue:
Question Stem:
"The presence of a competitor is always beneficial to a company. Competition forces a company to change itself in ways that improve its practices."

Answer:
The issue that competition is better for a company is a very significant one, and has been an important topic of discussion recently. While analyzing the issue, the critics of this issue say that competition is unhealthy for a companies growth, since it increases their marketing expenses. However, there are several reasons why competition may be good for a company. The most critical reasons that make competition beneficial for a company include better products, lower prices, ethical practices, and customer focus. I will discuss these reasons below.

First, competition forces a company to invest in research and development, and deliver innovative products to the consumers. If the competetor is offering a product with better features, the company will have to differentiate their product to gain more customers and higher market share. For instance, in light of increased competition from Japanese car manufacturers, particularly Toyota and Honda, American car manufacturers like Ford and GM delivered innovative product features like automated air bag deployment, seat belt warning, etc. GM also made it easier for low income families to afford cars by offering them affordable financing and low payment installments. This increased the profits of GM, and benifited them enourmously.

In addition, to gain higher market share, the companies have to diversify and target different income groups. This causes several companies to deliver affordable and economic products for middle and low income families. With lower prices, more people can afford products, which causes higher sales, thereby increasing profits. One important example that proves this argument is that of Dell computers. In order to beat Gateway and Compaq computers, Dell computers reduced their costs by producing more computers simultaneously, thereby giving them economies of scale, and delivering high quality desktop and laptop computers to individuals at affordable prices.

In addition to the above reasons, competition faces other companies to remain ethical, creating a "checks and balances" phenomenon among companies. If the a company does not mention the truth about its product, the competing company will deface it and convey the truth to the consumers, thereby increasing its loyalty and image. For example, Microsoft corporation bundled several products with its operating system, which limited the options consumers had when using their operating system. Competing companies like Sun Microsystems filed an anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft Corporation, forcing them to provide more options to the consumers. Today, Sun Microsystem's product, Java programming language, enjoys a sizeable market share in comparision to Microsoft. Certainly, competition worked in favour for Sun Microsystems.

In conclusion, the argument that competition is benificial to the company is valid. Competition forces companies to deliver better products and lower prices, and remain ethical in its marketing practices. While better products and lower prices increase market share leading to higher profits, ethical practices increase consumer confidence in the company, which can be benificial in the long run. Naturally, healthy competion can be very benificial to companies.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 18:07
your essays are definitely 5+ materials.

when i gave my gmat, i got a 5.5 which were not as good as these. so dont worry.

just 9 wrong on Verbal is pretty impressive to me, btu i am not a verbal guru.

all the best though!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 20:13
willget800 wrote:
your essays are definitely 5+ materials.

when i gave my gmat, i got a 5.5 which were not as good as these. so dont worry.

just 9 wrong on Verbal is pretty impressive to me, btu i am not a verbal guru.

all the best though!


Thanks willget800. I am not a verbal guru either. I am not as much concerned about the 9 incorrect, as I am about the fact that I got a lot of CR questions incorrect, which I thought was my strongest area. Also the fact that I almost ran out of time bothers me.

I sucked at AWA till Ryhme gave me some very good advice in another thread. Thanks for the encouraging words. Can't wait till Ryhme critiques the essays :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2006
Posts: 352
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 20:31
Hey Walletless, the length of your essays is frightening me!!!
Are we expected to write so many lines in half an hour ??
My typing speed is pathetic and i'm left with no time to improve. :cry:

Please help....just don't know what to do!!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 02:01
zoom612 wrote:
Hey Walletless, the length of your essays is frightening me!!!
Are we expected to write so many lines in half an hour ??
My typing speed is pathetic and i'm left with no time to improve. :cry:

Please help....just don't know what to do!!!


Zoom-

I am not sure on the essay length - I wrote this essay with about 4 minutes to spare. I am not sure if there is any minimum essay length, but for me, this length seems alrite since I was comfortably able to write it, leaving me enough time to review the essay too.

How big are your essays? May be if you write an essay in 30 minutes and post on the board someone can comment?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1898
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 04:31
I think ~400 words will do. Try to write about 4 to 5 paragraphs and utilize as many esoteric words as possible ( this tip was provided by someone who got 6 for his/her AWA as i recall one post in our GMATclub). I have the book "GMAT CAT answers to the Real Essay Questions" . I found the essays there are not of any fixed length; some are really long (like those written by walletless) while others are much shorter than that. Those pieces of writing emphasize a lot on connecting words/phrases and the diversity of sentence structure which you can make use of.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 795
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 08:18
Don't worry much about the essays. Good preparation ahead will get the work done for you. Most important thing is - Fix up the template that you are going to be using for both the essays and consider 80% of job done. This should set you up for atleast a score of 5 and if you fill in the details well, maybe more (and may even get you some extra rest before the Math section). Remember, computer also grades these essays and it would basically be looking for a good structure.

This may help -
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4159

Good Luck!
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 08:57
gsr wrote:
Don't worry much about the essays. Good preparation ahead will get the work done for you. Most important thing is - Fix up the template that you are going to be using for both the essays and consider 80% of job done. This should set you up for atleast a score of 5 and if you fill in the details well, maybe more (and may even get you some extra rest before the Math section). Remember, computer also grades these essays and it would basically be looking for a good structure.

This may help -
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4159

Good Luck!

Yes this is so true. The pdf in the above link is really good but its template is not that good. I found this template more convincing.

http://www.urch.com/forums/gre-analysis ... plate.html
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 10:03
Or you can use the very basic PR template.. The PRinceton Review has a good easy template to use.. I got a 5.5 with that template.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Mar 2006
Posts: 352
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 00:48
Thanks buddies for all the good advices. I'm feeling better. :thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 05:46
Thanks guys for participating in this thread. I am still looking for suggestions on CR and timing.

Thanks,
Walletless
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 07:05
walletless wrote:
Thanks guys for participating in this thread. I am still looking for suggestions on CR and timing.

Thanks,
Walletless


You may find my CR notes here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32548

Send me a some money if you find these useful. :wink: :wink:
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 18:26
ps_dahiya wrote:
walletless wrote:
Thanks guys for participating in this thread. I am still looking for suggestions on CR and timing.

Thanks,
Walletless


You may find my CR notes here:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32548

Send me a some money if you find these useful. :wink: :wink:


Thanks, ps_dahiya! Those notes look really good.

There is a reason why my nickname is walletless ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
Re: PP3 Test #1 - 710 (Q49, V38) - need advice [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 07:43
walletless wrote:
--- AWA ---
Analysis of Argument:
Question stem: The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine on lifestyles.

"Two years ago, City L was listed 14th in an annual survey that ranks cities according to the quality of life that can be enjoyed by those living in them. This information will enable people who are moving to the state in which City L is located to confidently identify one place, at least, where schools are good, housing is affordable, people are friendly, the environment is safe, and the arts flourish."

Answer:
The author of fails to substantiate his argument that people living in City L will find a place with good schools, affordable housing, friendly people, safe environment, and flourishing arts. The author makes several critical assumptions based on the annual survey done two years ago. The most important assumptions are the validity of survey two years ago, the meaning of quality of life, missing information on the number of cities surveyed, and the scientific nature of the survey.


Excellent opening statement. You take a position early on, identify the key elements you will discuss, and prepare the reader for the logical transition to the next paragraph.

Quote:
First and foremost, the survey was taken two years ago. Many things may have changed in two years - for example, city L may have had more industries that pollute the environment. Being from a big city, I have realised that to maintain good quality of living, the citizens of the city need to be proactive, and the government need to support legislations that can make the city better. For instance, Mumbai, a city in west of India was a flourishing city few years ago. However, due to better quality of living, lots of people from other rural areas migrated to Mumbai. The immigrants made the roads dirty, the housing prices increased, and the quality of living decreased.


I'm not a huge fan of starting sentences with "First"... or any variation thereof, but thats just me. There are a few grammar errors here, minor stuff, I wouldnt worry too much about. Some of the sentences do get wordy -- "For instance, .... a CITY in the west of India was a CITY.... " Better phrase: "As recently as a few years ago, Mumbai, a city in the west of india was flourishing"...

I like the paragraph, but careful using personal examples in these - the very things you critique about his argument you use as well. For example, you state that he doesnt define "quality of living" - neither do you, yet you use it as an example to strengthen your argument. Whoops!

As a general rule, I try and avoid using personal experiences in this essay - rather I expand briefly. You did this - you just took it one step further and brought in your personal experiences.

"First and foremost, the survey was taken two years ago. Many things may have changed in two years - for example, city L may have had more industries that pollute the environment. "

The above was fine. You could also have just written more about this and then closed the paragraph with a statement about what the author has failed to do. Although it's implicit in your argument, you don't actually come out and say WHAT the author could have done or should have done to strengthen or mitigate the concern.

"First and foremost, the survey was taken two years ago. Many things may have changed in two years - for example, city L may have had more industries that pollute the environment. Alternatively, the population of city L may have dramatically increased raising demand for housing and in turn, reducing its relative affordability. The author does not provide the reader with a clear understanding of whether or not this has changed, as such, the reader is unable to adequately assess wether the survey's data remains sufficiently applicable to the current day"

The basic structure I like to think of is this:
Open the paragraph with your point (you did)
Explain an alternate scenario that conflicts with the author's arugment ( you did)
Close with what the author could do to address this concern (this you did
not do)

Quote:
Additionally, the author does not mention the parameters considered by the survey adminstrators to determine quality of living. "Quality of living" is a very subjective term - it may mean different things to different people. For instance, I equate quality of living to higher wages, faster transportation, and sophisticated health infrastucture. The author makes the assumption that a higher quality of living equates to better education, affordable housing, friendly people, safe environment, and flourishing arts, but does not mention these criteria as part of the survey.


Good argument, clearly a point you had to make, but again, you don't really tell me what the author could have done.... You only need one sentence to close this "The author could mitigate these concerns by more accurately defining his understanding of "quality of living". Closing sentences like this help bring the argument full circle --- The author does not X, here is why thats a problem, and here is how to fix X.

That being said, its a nice clean cut paragraph. Good job.

Quote:
In addition to the above two points, the author fails to mention how many cities were included in the survey. City L may be ranked 14th, but if the survey only included 15 cities, that is not considered good. The absence of this information weakens his argument considerably, making his conclusion invalid.


And here you do all three... you identify what the author fails to do, explain why thats important, and then state that "the absence of this information..." (which clearly indicates what the author needed to do). Good job. Two minor edits here. "In addition to the above two points" ... why not just say "In addition ...." (the reader will know you mean in addition to what you've already said). Also, I know this is a problem of time pressure, but "that is not considered good" is kinda iffy washy. How about "included 15 cities, then the limited sample size of the survey renders it somewhat useless"..

Quote:
Finally, the author fails to mention the scientific nature of the survey. He does how many people were surveyed, what kind of demographic and occupational background these people had, and what questions were posed to the panelists to arrive at the result. For example, if the survey consisted of high-income residents of City L, the survey results will certainly be flawed in favor of City L, since these people have the means to afford better education and house.


Few grammar errors... Seems like you are mising the word "not" in there somewhere. But overall, a good paragraph. I'd venture you need only add a closing sentence... "This information could have been provided through additional statistical or anecdotal evidence." And you know I have to pick on starting a sentence with "Finally, ..."

Quote:
Due to the aforementioned reasons, the argument made by the author, claiming City L to have a better quality of living, is incomplete and unreasonable. The assumptions and missing information explained above make the conclusion invalid.


Strong solid close. Try an avoid referencing the arguments in a spatial fashion (i.e. "In addition to the two points made above..." the information explained above..." ) - just say "The assumptions and missing information make the conclusion invalid."

Overall, this is a good strong essay. Couple of minor grammatical errors - the only major thing missing from this essay are direct sentences that state WHAT the author could have done to strengthen his argument. You don't have to put these in each paragraph, you can put them in your conclusion (most people recommend this so that when you get to your conclusion you have something to say rather than just state that the argument is flawed again). I do them in the paragraphs because otherwise I'll forget something, but the choice is yours. If you forget to do this on the real exam, just throw in a final sentence...

"The author could strenghten his argument by presenting additional statistical evidence showing X, or by citing anecdotal evidence in support of Y."

I did that on my second exam because I ran out of time, and still got a 6.0.

Overall, great job.

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Analysis of issue:
Question Stem:
"The presence of a competitor is always beneficial to a company. Competition forces a company to change itself in ways that improve its practices."

Answer:
The issue that competition is better for a company is a very significant one, and has been an important topic of discussion recently. While analyzing the issue, the critics of this issue say that competition is unhealthy for a companies growth, since it increases their marketing expenses. However, there are several reasons why competition may be good for a company. The most critical reasons that make competition beneficial for a company include better products, lower prices, ethical practices, and customer focus. I will discuss these reasons below.


A little wordy... "While analyzing the issue, .... the critis of this issue..." Loose the spatial references again. "I will discuss these reasons below." Overall, I think the opening is a bit wordy - some grammar issues, but you've got all the major elements here - an opening, two positions, and a suggestion of which stance you will take. Segue to second paragraph seems logical. It's a good opening paragraph.

Quote:
First, competition forces a company to invest in research and development, and deliver innovative products to the consumers. If the competetor is offering a product with better features, the company will have to differentiate their product to gain more customers and higher market share. For instance, in light of increased competition from Japanese car manufacturers, particularly Toyota and Honda, American car manufacturers like Ford and GM delivered innovative product features like automated air bag deployment, seat belt warning, etc. GM also made it easier for low income families to afford cars by offering them affordable financing and low payment installments. This increased the profits of GM, and benifited them enourmously.


Did you make this stuff up? If so, good job. If not, you must like cars. Avoid "etc" ... just list the two or three items you can think of. The connection between how "automated air bag deployment" and the competition from Japan benefited GM is a little weak because you suddenly add in something about affordable financing. The connection could have been stronger...That very last step -- tying the competition to GM profits, is what seems a little weak, but otherwise, its great.

Quote:
In addition, to gain higher market share, the companies have to diversify and target different income groups. This causes several companies to deliver affordable and economic products for middle and low income families. With lower prices, more people can afford products, which causes higher sales, thereby increasing profits. One important example that proves this argument is that of Dell computers. In order to beat Gateway and Compaq computers, Dell computers reduced their costs by producing more computers simultaneously, thereby giving them economies of scale, and delivering high quality desktop and laptop computers to individuals at affordable prices.


Nice. I'd argue with you that reducing price does not necessarily increase profits, depends on price elasticity, but we can save that for during our MBAs. :)

Quote:
In addition to the above reasons, competition faces other companies to remain ethical, creating a "checks and balances" phenomenon among companies. If the a company does not mention the truth about its product, the competing company will deface it and convey the truth to the consumers, thereby increasing its loyalty and image. For example, Microsoft corporation bundled several products with its operating system, which limited the options consumers had when using their operating system. Competing companies like Sun Microsystems filed an anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft Corporation, forcing them to provide more options to the consumers. Today, Sun Microsystem's product, Java programming language, enjoys a sizeable market share in comparision to Microsoft. Certainly, competition worked in favour for Sun Microsystems.


Forces, not faces. :) Its a bit wordy, but you get your point across - definetly some typos here. Be careful with this, write less, proofread more. You dont need 1000 words to get a good score. One of my essays was probably 4 short paragraphs - I couldn't think of a !(@#!(@ thing to write, but I still pulled a 6.0 on that exam too. Quality not quantity.

Quote:
In conclusion, the argument that competition is benificial to the company is valid. Competition forces companies to deliver better products and lower prices, and remain ethical in its marketing practices. While better products and lower prices increase market share leading to higher profits, ethical practices increase consumer confidence in the company, which can be benificial in the long run. Naturally, healthy competion can be very benificial to companies.


I like the closing.

Overall, both of these are much stronger than what you once had. I don't know if they are 6.0's - there are some typos here that could hurt you and a little bit of wordiness in parts, but they definetly have all the elements they need.

I'd venture these are 5.0s. Great job! You've got these AWA's all wrapped up now.

Whens your exam?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 09:05
Awesome, as usual! If there was such a thing like Super GMATClubber, I would vote for you :)

I will definitely pay closer attention to closing my paragraphs with recommendation on the argument essays!

Yes, I did make up the Ford/GM example :D

I have not booked the g-day yet, but I think it is going to be in last week of August (around 28th August).

Thanks for the reply! I feel much better about AWA now. I am going to stick to a similar template as this one, and make some minor changes based on your recommendation.

One question - what should I use in place of "first" as my opening argument? I know you mentioned in your previous analysis too that "First" is a weak opening, and while writing this AWA I remembered that but because of time shortage I continued writing the essay with the weak opening.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 09:42
walletless wrote:
Awesome, as usual! If there was such a thing like Super GMATClubber, I would vote for you :)


Thanks :)

Quote:
One question - what should I use in place of "first" as my opening argument? I know you mentioned in your previous analysis too that "First" is a weak opening, and while writing this AWA I remembered that but because of time shortage I continued writing the essay with the weak opening.


Don't worry about trying to "tell" the reader that you are about to make a point. The purpose of the paragraph -- that is, the reason you start a new paragaph in the first place, is to indicate that you are about to start a new thought. It's intrinsic to the concept.

You don't even need to use a key word to open the thought, just open with it.

I'll try rewriting yours to show you what I mean.

---> First and foremost, the survey was taken two years ago.

You can just say "The age of the survey raises questions as to it's validity."

----> Additionally, the author does not mention the parameters considered by the survey adminstrators to determine quality of living.

How about just "In addition, the author does not mention .... "

The words "In addition" are easy.

----> In addition to the above two points, the author fails to mention how many cities were included in the survey.

And here you use the words "In addition" .... the challenge becomes thinking of other phrases that mean the same thing so that you don't end up with four paragraphs that each start "In addition, " (see your second essay)

So how about .... any of the following:

"The passage also fails to mention how many cities were..."
or...
"The author also fails to mention ...."
or
"The passage's argument is further weakened by.... "

Any of the above will do.

----> Finally, the author fails to mention the scientific nature of the survey.

I also don't like finally. It's just another way of indicating some kind of number.

"The primary argument presented is also damaged by..."

or just pick some variation... from above.

In other words, just come up with a few opening sentences that don't start with the word First, Finally, etc.

"In addition..... X"
"The passage's argument is further weakened by the lack of X"
"The author's primary argument also fails to consider "
"The author also fails to evaluate"
"The argument presented also fails to adequately explain"
"The statistical evidence is also weak as a result of"
"Further weakening the passage's argument..."
"The primary argument presented is also damaged by..."
"The passage's argument is further weakened by.... "
"The author also fails to mention ...."

There are hundreds of variations you can probably come up with. Remember though, you don't have to make the first sentence start with some kind of statement that says "I also want to say..."

Take your second paragraph. Try reading it with the following - notice how I dont use any kind of "First" or "In addition" or anything like that, but the passage still reads fine. The points are still clear.

Competition forces a company to invest in research and development, and deliver innovative products to the consumers.
In order to gain higher market share, the companies have to diversify and target different income groups.
Competition forces other companies to remain ethical, creating a "checks and balances" phenomenon.

See? It doesn't read strange to have sentences start that way. Just make your primary point in your first sentence.

Not convinced?

Next time you read a reading comprehension passage, note how each paragraph ALWAYS starts with a primary sentence that is, basically, the point of the paragraph. They never use transitional words like also, furthermore, in addition, etc...

Sorry for the rambling text, long flight yesterday and little sleep.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2006
Posts: 121
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 18:56
great tips! I am making a conscious effort to move away from "First" and "Finally" statements :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 21:28
With the following template, I got a 5.5 on my first exam, maybe it was fluke.. but it worked.. :)

Try to keep 4-5 paragraphs atleast(PR says that).....

ISSUE ESSAY
------------

The issue of wheter ................................
.......................... is a controversial one. On one hand, it ...........
.................................... On the other hand, it ...................
........................................... However in the final analysis I believe that..................

One reason for my belief is that...............

Secondly I believe that....................

Yet another reason why I feel for.....................


For all these reasons, I therefore believe that....


ARGUMENT ESSAY
---------------

The author argues that ... (state the conclusion).. The author's argument is not entirely logically convincing, because it ignores certain crucial assumptions/premises etc..

First, the argument assumes that.....

Second, the argument never addresses the .....

Finally, the argument omits ....

Thus the argument is not completely sound. The evidence in support of the argument does little to support the conclusion. .......... Ultimately, the argument might have been strenghtened by ......
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1581 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 14:38
willget800 wrote:
With the following template, I got a 5.5 on my first exam, maybe it was fluke.. but it worked.. :)

Try to keep 4-5 paragraphs atleast(PR says that).....

ISSUE ESSAY
------------

The issue of wheter ................................
.......................... is a controversial one. On one hand, it ...........
.................................... On the other hand, it ...................
........................................... However in the final analysis I believe that..................

One reason for my belief is that...............

Secondly I believe that....................

Yet another reason why I feel for.....................


For all these reasons, I therefore believe that....


ARGUMENT ESSAY
---------------

The author argues that ... (state the conclusion).. The author's argument is not entirely logically convincing, because it ignores certain crucial assumptions/premises etc..

First, the argument assumes that.....

Second, the argument never addresses the .....

Finally, the argument omits ....

Thus the argument is not completely sound. The evidence in support of the argument does little to support the conclusion. .......... Ultimately, the argument might have been strenghtened by ......


Bet you woulda pulled a 6.0 without those First, Second, Finally :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 15:47
Maybe the third time(If I do give it, very slim chance!) Rhyme
  [#permalink] 10 Aug 2006, 15:47
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 710 (Q49 and V38) pisupat 9 21 Jul 2011, 12:18
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic 710 (Q49, V38) HygeinicGangster 13 18 Jan 2011, 14:43
710 - Q49, V38 konclen 3 24 Aug 2008, 02:20
710 (Q49, V 38), AWA 4.5 - retake? Need advice! Kastel 8 15 Mar 2008, 13:00
710 (Q49, V38) vivek123 56 04 May 2006, 02:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

PP3 Test #1 - 710 (Q49, V38) - need advice

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.