Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practice CATs - How often and how many?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Booth '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Practice CATs - How often and how many? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 17:59
After reading various online guides and many topics on this forum, I was under the impression that it is best to take as many practice tests as you can possibly handle before taking the real GMAT. The logic is pretty obvious: build up your stamina, simulate the test environment to reduce anxiety, figure out weaknesses, etc.

However, this morning I was reading Jeff Sackmann's GMAT Tips over on gmathacks.com, and he recommended something completely different. Sackmann recommended taking very few tests, just two to three, stating that your time would be better served working, analyzing, and reworking timed practice problems than taking actual CATs.

I have counted and found that I have about 50 days of 2-4 hours study time and about 15 days of 1-2 hours study time before my test. Thanks to the donation of materials from a friend, I also have the following CATs available:

2 - GMATPrep
6 - Manhattan GMAT
6 - Kaplan 2009 (online)
4 - Princeton Review 2009 (online)

Originally I was planning to dive into these CATs and take one every two to three days for preparation (in addition to working OG problems, reading the MGMAT guides, etc.), but after reading Sackmann's article I am not so sure anymore.

What are your thoughts, is it better to work CATs or practice problems? (or a combination thereof?)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Practice CATs - How often and how many? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 20:29
Expert's post
You should not need a ton of tests - taking 4 hours at a time is quite taxing.

I got 750 with 4 Kaplan Tests, 4 PR and 2 PowerPrep tests.
I think it is important to study the concepts and REVIEW very carefully, keeping an error log, and then AFTER you are done with the math or verbal section - it is great to start taking CAT tests but only for that section.

Then, a few weeks before the test, it is good to start taking full tests with AWA and train yourself how to pace yoruself and handle 4 hour tests - this was my most hated part about GMAT (i liked the overall experience though).

I believe I took 3-4 CATS at the end - the rest were taken section by section.
I also took a PowerPrep (download PowerPrep) the day before the test (same time as i would have at the test center) and took the rest of the day off. This was my test simulation experience....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Practice CATs - How often and how many? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 02:34
I tend to agree with Sackmann's philosophy, but I probably lean closer toward bb's advice. If you're using CATs to benchmark your performance, 5 is probably sufficient. If you're looking to build stamina, 10 is probably sufficient. Some people would recommend that you take as many possible, but it's really a matter of preference. What I don't like about taking lots of tests is that you can't spend that time strengthening specific weak areas.

Of the CATs you listed above, I would recommend doing each GMATPrep at least twice in addition to your MGMAT CATs. This will provide you with 10 CATs if you only do the MGMAT CATs once each. Although I believe this should be sufficient, it will really depend on your specific needs. I think it's a great idea to take a CAT at least once every two weeks, but probably not more often than once a week. Do it whenever you think you've made significant gains.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice CATs - How often and how many? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 05:32
As I have said a few times, I took a lot of tests. But, it's not a strategy that I would recommend across the board. Stamina really was my weakness and I do feel like it helped me, but it did not help me get better at solving problems (at least not the way a real study plan would), it just helped me build endurance.

If you are worried about endurance, 4-6 weeks out spend your weekends doing CATs and then a week out from the test date only doing review, sort of like you might taper for a race.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice CATs - How often and how many? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 10:28
I also took a ton of CATs and I have to say that I completely disagree with Sackmann on this. My endurance wasn't good enough and I solved that problem by working as many timed tests as I could. On the other hand, it is my learning style and maybe it is not applicable to you. Try and figure, you have to find your own way.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Re: Practice CATs - How often and how many?   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2009, 10:28