Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Practice-Q-39/V-20/T-510. Target-710+.Starting GMAT prep.Need Strategy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi targetgmat87,

Many Test Takers who study with a 'book-heavy' approach tend to get 'stuck' at a certain scoring level, so I don't have any additional books that I would recommend to you. I mentioned in your other post that a GMAT Course would likely be necessary for you to hit your score goal. Many GMAT Companies offer some type of free resources (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.), so that you can "test out" a product before you buy it. Since you have the time, you should take advantage of all of the free options, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Practice-Q-39/V-20/T-510. Target-710+.Starting GMAT prep.Need Strategy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
targetgmat87 wrote:
Hey..Thanks for the insight.

To answer your question,

No, I didn't tried even a single question from GMAT OG. It was a prep test for me so that I can understand what level of preparation is required and how do I go about it. Have not much of an idea on how to tacke different types of question in Verbal so that probably justifies my low Verbal Score.

As mentioned, I was completely out of touch with studies for the past 1 year or so and so I was a bit shaky during the exam. However, I did not run short of time but being out of touch did meant that I was not able to recall many things ( both in Quant and Verbal).

I am into reading newspaper everyday for about 30 mins and Economist once in a month. As suggested, will start reading novel daily. Although I read 1 novel/week.

Will surely go through the links.

Also, Please advise me on the study plan and books I should follow for preparing extremely well for GMAT.

I am ready to devote 3 months of time for GMAT so that I can score above 710 and apply to my dream schools.

As on date I have MGMAT(all 8 books), Powerscore and GMAT OG.(15th edition). Kindly suggest. If any other book is needed let me know so that I can start preparing asap ..

I don't suggest people to take a practice test without looking at the question types. The point is that if you don't know how to handle the question format, you will be lost even if you have enough skill to solve it. So if a two hour study session will make a huge difference to your score then you should take the test only after the study session. Else, you waste your precious time and resources without gaining accurate insight.

So I suggest you to check out what each question type expects you to do and how to handle it. Use whatever resources you have for it right now. Once you do, after that take a test in proper timed conditions and then figure out the areas in which you are facing problems. If the problems are acute and across the spectrum, you might need to consider more help such as classroom/online/on demand course. If you face issues in only a few areas, getting area specific material might be enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Re: Practice-Q-39/V-20/T-510. Target-710+.Starting GMAT prep.Need Strategy [#permalink]
Hi targetgmat87,

As you are a working professional and would want to make effective use of your time, we would suggest you to start your preparation with a mock test. This would not only familiarize you with the test format but also help you to identify your strong and weak areas.

Post this, make a study plan for yourself which should give you time enough to cover your basics and also let you attempt a lot of practice questions. Start with 2 hours per day and gradually increase it to 4 hours and eventually 6 hours per day as you approach the test date.

Once you are over with your basics get hold of as many practice test as you can. Start attempting them. Now, understand that more than giving a practice test, it is critical how much time you spend on analyzing your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, spend 4-5 hours in analyzing it. Go over each and every question and find out a better, smarter and a faster way to solve each question.

Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next test. The key is to keep improving every day.

Lastly, join an online study group. we suggest this because the biggest challenge in GMAT preparation is to be able to stay motivated and committed throughout the duration of your preparation.

You can refer to the Official Guide for GMAT Review, the Official Guide Quant Review and Official Guide Verbal Review.You can purchase the Question Pack, which will provide you with new questions and increased computer-based functionality.To crack GMAT, you also need to buy strategy guides if you don't have one already.

Let us know if you would have any further questions.
www.manyagroup.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for their insights.

To answer EMPOWERgmatRichC, Yes I do agree that books in many cases have limited the scope of providing the strategies. As per your suggestion, I am kinda evaluating some of the companies courses online. However, I still intend to follow some book for the beginning. If the course suit my purpose , will go for it, else will start off with the books and will join online courses later on may be to improve my score further on (hoping after going trhough the book and regualr practice, score will eventually increase).

manyaabroadtpr : I did took a mock test. THe score is already mentioned. (Q-39/V-20/Total-510. target is 710+). I already know that Verbal is indeed my weaker area and I am preparing startegy to tackle it. INsights into this will be absolutely helpful. For quant, well I can handle it with bit of practice as I am relatively stronger in Quant. (Last time when I took GRE i scored 800 consistenly in all MOCKs and final GRE also). So guidance with respect to which books to follow can immesnly help me.

VeritasPrepKarishma Well I do know the question types but certainly I don't know the strategy and tricks/rules to solve them. Well with RC< when I analyzed my MOCK, I figured out that in RC, i actually got 2 RC correct out of 3. (one I was not able to understand). maximum mistakes where in SC and CR. The whole purpose of appearing for MOCK was to understand what level of preparation n effort is required both in Verbal and Quant and to seek some advice.

Here's what I thought till now and help will surely be needed. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

a. For SC - MGMAT (1st)/Veritas (2nd) + OG + GMATclub Grammar book. (Evaluating e-GMAT also). have heard not good reviews about Kaplan and so planning to drop it for the time being. (Suggest if any other book is a better alternative than this.)

b. For CR- PowerScore (1st)/Veritas (2nd) + OG . Have heard PowerScore is the Bible for CR. ( pls correct me if I am wrong)

c. For RC, well read as much as possible. Don't know if any book exist.Possibly MGMAT. (Pls share any resources for RC)

d. For Quant, well I am clueless. Don't know which book to follow. (MGMAT, Veritas , Kaplan, Nova, etc.). No clue. Want to work on GMAT level problems straight away with just a brush up of quant basics (may be 1-2 days will be suffice for basics)

Complete SC and CR asap and then focus on Quant. Meanwhile appear for Mock Test every weekend to track the progress. (Can some one help with the resources for Mock GMAT's). Planning to give myself 1 month for SC/CR and Quant.

I am also evaluating e-GMAT. May be anyone can suggest if e-GMAT will acutally help me. (especially for Verbal).

2nd month for Mocks and strategies to score further more and learning from all mocks. RC is an ongoing process.

This is what I have decided till now. Don't wish to plan a day-by-day activity rather topic by topic.

Kind help needed for the books, plan, strategy mentioned above and for the resources..Thanks..
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear targetgmat87,

Welcome to the GMAT Club community. You are at the right place to prepare for GMAT. The community support and resources that you get here are exemplary.
First of all I commend you for approaching your preparation in a step by step manner. You are doing the right thing by first planning your preparation and then executing the same. I see that with suggestions from other community members and with your understanding of your own skills, you have devised a plan of action for achieving 710+ score in your test.

In my response below, I will highlight the aspects of your plan that work and the aspects that do not work. For the aspects that do not work, I will provide you sufficient guidance so that you can change your plan accordingly.

What works in your plan?

1. You have decided to prepare for SC first and then CR. This is the optimum order. SC gives you the confidence of reading and understanding on a single sentence level. And to do well in CR, comprehension of sentences is one of the core skills because in CR you have to understand a group of sentences that make up the passage.
2. You have accounted for time for preparing for Quant. Many students make this mistake of not preparing for Quant since they feel very confident in the subject, but this over-confidence severely impacts their quant score.

What does not work in your plan?

1. You are preparing for SC using 3 different books.
All the three books that you have mentioned in your plan teach the concepts that are tested in Sentence Correction. Now the concepts for SC remain the same. After all they are solid accepted grammar rules of English language. Yes each book may have a slightly different approach in teaching the concepts, but the concepts that you learn from each book are the same. So there is no benefit of you learning the concepts from 3 different books. Frankly this aspect of your plan relies on the assumption that the more books your read, the better prepared you will be. In reality, this assumption is absolutely invalid since reading the two books after reading the first one is simply donkey’s work.
Secondly, one key ingredient that you are missing in your preparation is “Application” and books because of their very format (static and linear) don’t do as great a job teaching application as Online self-paced courses or classroom courses do. Now are the ingredients any good if the recipe does not exist. Likewise, just learning the concepts without knowing how to apply those concepts to solve GMAT questions is not enough.

Here is how I suggest you begin your SC preparation. The materials for initial steps are available to your free of charge.
1. View the recording of live session “How to Prepare for Sentence Correction”
a. This session will set the tone for what you need to focus on to ace SC. It will tell you how to use e-GMAT resources to prepare for SC.
2. Register on e-GMAT account for a free account.
3. In the free trial, access the following concepts of SC. The intent of attempting these concepts is for you to experience how concepts and application are tied together in the SC course.
a. Comparisons – Usage of Like
b. Comparisons – Usage of As
c. Comparisons – As vs. Like
d. As vs. Like Application File
After doing these files you will see how you would be able to solve questions pertaining to these concepts so very effectively.
e. Modifiers – Verb-ing and Verb-ed
Go through this file and see for yourself how well you can retain the concepts.

Essentially, you do not need to prepare SC by using the books. The course above will teach you everything from foundation concepts to basic concepts to their application to advanced concepts and their application. See how Rishi improved in SC after using e-GMAT SC course.

2. You are preparing for CR using 2 different books.
Whatever I said for SC also applies here. In fact for CR it may be even more detrimental to prepare using two books. Why? Since CR is a test of reasoning. Now the concepts covered in CR may differ from one book to another since the concepts really lead you to how to approach CR questions. So if you do read CR from two different books, you are bound to get confused since now you will get two sets of approaches for different question types without any unifying theme.
I would also recommend that you take a look at the e-GMAT CR course. The audio-visual course of CR covers all the concepts that you need to ace CR. It teaches you the proven “pre-thinking” method for CR.

3. Your preparation strategy for RC includes reading as much as possible.
In this discussion, you have indicated that you read 1 novel per week. You also read newspaper every day. Great!! You certainly are an avid reader. So now tell me, if this extent of reading has not helped you do well in RC, then how by doing the same thing, i.e. reading, you expect to do better in RC.
Believe me you are not alone in making “reading more” your way of preparing for RC. Many aspirants have this notion that if they read more they will be able to do well in RC. Here is why this notion is flawed: When you read for pleasure such as reading a novel,
• You do not draw inferences while reading.
• You do not wonder about the intent of a certain paragraph.
• You do not think why the author used a certain phrase or expression.
• You do not ponder about the main point of the passage.
• You do not try to infer the meaning of a certain unknown word. You skip that word and continue reading since in most cases not knowing that word does not impact your understanding of the novel.

All the things above that you DO NOT DO, you need to do to ace Reading Comprehension section. And this is why “reading as much as you can” DOES NOT give the desired results when it comes to acing RC section.

So here is what I recommend you do for RC:
1. View the recording of live session How to Prepare for Reading Comprehension
a. This session will introduce you to the key reading strategies that you need to master in order to ace RC.
2. In the free trial, access the following concepts of RC. The intent of attempting these concepts is for you to experience how concepts and application are tied together in the RC course.
a. Main Point Concept 1
b. Main Point Concept 2
c. Main Point Practice Quiz 1
After doing these files you will see how you are able to approach RC main point questions so easily. You will learn what you need to do to ace the RC course.

4. You plan to appear for mocks every week

You are correct that you want to track your progress as you are preparing. However using mock tests for this purpose is not optimum. To understand why, you need to focus on the KEY feature of GMAT – Adaptive.
Remember verbal section includes all three sub sections – SC, CR, and RC. And the test is adaptive, implying that you will get progressively more difficult questions if you answer correctly and you will get progressively easier questions if you answer incorrectly.
With this understanding, let’s consider the weekend after week 1. You have prepared for SC. You have improved well in SC. You take the mock. You are able to answer SC questions correctly but as you get to CR and RC, you are not able to do well so the algorithm considers your overall level as low, which includes SC as well. So now even for SC you get easier questions. So in essence even though you prepared well for SC, you will see that your overall verbal score will not improve much. There are other things that may happen and throw you off but that is for the discussion on why accuracy is not the correct measure to gage progress.

So we have concluded that mocks are not the right tool to use to track one’s progress during the preparation stage. You may have two questions:
1. How should I track my performance then?
2. What is the purpose of mocks?

Let’s take up each question one by one.

How to Track Performance while preparing for GMAT?
In e-GMAT course, there are practice quizzes throughout the course. So as you go learn the concepts and learn how to apply those concepts through the application files, you also take these practice quizzes to see how well you are doing.

Furthermore, all e-GMAT students who purchase any of our verbal or GMAT bundled courses, get access to Scholaranium. Scholaranium is an Exam Prep tool that will help estimate your ability. Click here to see how to estimate your progress.
So essentially to track progress you do the following:

1. While attempting the course, track your progress using the practice quizzes in the course itself.
2. After completing the course, track your progress using Scholaranium.

What is the purpose of mocks?
Mocks are tools that help with test-readiness once you know the concepts and the approach to the questions. They help to simulate the test like environment and give you a platform to practice your timing strategies. So you should take mocks once you reach a certain ability level, i.e. once you have completed all your course work and have mastered the process to a certain degree. If you take the mocks during your preparation, then you will end up wasting them as explained above.

Hence, to conclude – prepare for various sections of verbal first, estimate your ability using Scholaranium, and take mocks when you are done preparing for the three sessions.

With appropriate planning and the right resources, you can reach your target GMAT score, the way Suren did. Pooja with immaculate planning got 740. And likewise see how cchu92got his 760.
I hope this helps you plan your preparation better. Do let me know if you have any questions.
Regards,
Payal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
targetgmat87 wrote:
Thanks everyone for their insights.

manyaabroadtpr : I did took a mock test. THe score is already mentioned. (Q-39/V-20/Total-510. target is 710+). I already know that Verbal is indeed my weaker area and I am preparing startegy to tackle it. INsights into this will be absolutely helpful. For quant, well I can handle it with bit of practice as I am relatively stronger in Quant. (Last time when I took GRE i scored 800 consistenly in all MOCKs and final GRE also). So guidance with respect to which books to follow can immesnly help me.

Hi targetgmat87

To improve in GMAT verbal you need to have a very good vocabulary.Therefore, we would advise you to start reading articles, science journals , business tabloids and read them online and figure out for yourself if you can understand the language and the main idea present in the passage. This would be a better way to tackle vocabulary on the GMAT.

You can read our blog on "Best Books for GMAT and GRE Preparation" at the link below:

https://blog.manyagroup.com/detail.html?authorid=59

Hope this helps.Wish you the best.
www.manyagroup.com
GMAT Club Bot