Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practice Test Score Interpretation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Darden Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 00:14
Hi,
My GMAT is in 2 weeks and these are my practice test scores on MGMAT and GMATPrep arranged chronologically :

MGMAT1 : Q42 V33 620 :cry:
GMATPrep1 : Q49 V33 670 :|
MGMAT2 : Q46 V37 680 :|
GMATPrep2 : Q50 V38 720 :)
GMATPrep EP1 : Q48 V35 680 :?
MGMAT3 : Q45 V34 650 :cry:

I just finished taking the last one (MGMAT3) and am thoroughly disappointed.

Can someone please interpret these results to me to help me understand where I might be going wrong. I am taking the tests under timed conditions and start a test at around the same time (9 AM) as my actual GMAT would.

How can I maximize my preperation efficiency in this last fortnight so as to cross 720 on G-Day?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [1] , given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hm... I did not know what a fortnight was. I have not heard anyone use that term before.

As to the scores - they jump around naturally. There is a standard error built into tests since you only have so many questions and you tend to have your own strengths and weaknesses.

My suggestion for you is - look at your weaknesses and see how you can eliminate making mistakes. That's really what it comes down to - not ever making that type of a mistake again. how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html

Focus on the areas easiest to improve and the lowest hanging fruit. Don't go after probability or combinations but instead focus on arithmetic and word problems (unless you are really perfect in those). Try to avoid making careless mistakes - that's what really gets you on the tests.

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Darden Thread Master

Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 05:21
bb wrote:
Hm... I did not know what a fortnight was. I have not heard anyone use that term before.

Haha. "Fortnight" is used quite commonly where I come from . I'm glad I taught something new to you, BB, as that's usually your job around here :-D

bb wrote:
As to the scores - they jump around naturally. There is a standard error built into tests since you only have so many questions and you tend to have your own strengths and weaknesses.

My suggestion for you is - look at your weaknesses and see how you can eliminate making mistakes. That's really what it comes down to - not ever making that type of a mistake again. how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html

Focus on the areas easiest to improve and the lowest hanging fruit. Don't go after probability or combinations but instead focus on arithmetic and word problems (unless you are really perfect in those). Try to avoid making careless mistakes - that's what really gets you on the tests.

Thanks for the advice! I have planned to go through my (extensive) error log in the next 2 weeks, focus more on OG questions in Verbal, and solve 700-800 level Quant questions from my most trusted sources (Veritas Question Bank and GMATClub forums).

Other than that there is a physical aspect of the GMAT for which, I have realized, I need to train myself as well. Waking up at the same time I would on test day, using the breaks efficiently, etc. are all factors that I am planning to include in my GMAT prep.

I hope all this pays off.I really do.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 08:29
This thread will be helpful for understanding and evaluating why your scores varied: why-practice-test-scores-vary-168747.html

What is your goal score?

www.gmatclarity.com

Thomas Hall

Darden Thread Master

Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 10:28
ThomasHall wrote:
This thread will be helpful for understanding and evaluating why your scores varied: why-practice-test-scores-vary-168747.html

What is your goal score?

http://www.gmatclarity.com

Thanks for the link Thomas. There's some really great advice in there.

My goal score is 720 or above.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 12:58
With a goal score of 720+, you should be scoring 720-740 on your CATs right now. As you are fairly far from that range, I recommend pushing your test date back and preparing further to continue building your skills.

Are you self-studying? My guide GMAT Clarity (amazon link) could be helpful in improving the quality of your prep. Please let me know if I can assist with anything.

Thomas Hall

Last edited by ThomasHall on 23 Apr 2014, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Darden Thread Master

Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 01:46
ThomasHall wrote:
With a goal score of 720+, you should be scoring 720-740 on your CATs right now. As you are fairly far from that range, I recommend pushing your test date back and preparing further to continue building your skills.

Are you self-studying? My guide GMAT Clarity (amazon link) could be helpful in improving the quality of your prep. Please let me know if I can help with your preparation.

Thanks Thomas.

After my last post my two CAT scores have been :

GMATPrep : 710 Q49 V38
MGMAT : 680 Q46 V36

I am confident of scoring in the 49-50 range in Q and am working hard to bring my verbal score in the range of 38-40. I do not think this is an impossible task.

I will get back to you after my test on May 3rd and I hope to prove your interpretation wrong :)
Re: Practice Test Score Interpretation   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 01:46