Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 18:05
This post received
KUDOS
I have been preparing for my GMAT for around 8 weeks now.I will taking it around 2 weeks from now. I am aiming for a score of 700, currently I am getting these scores in the practice tests:

GMATPREP-2 (without any preparation in November) -530
GMATPREP-1 (in December) -680
POWERPREP-1 (In Jan) - 640
POWERPREP-2(In Jan)- 660

I am planning to write GMATPREP-2 again next week
I wanted to ask you guys what in your opinion, would be good practice tests to take at this point of time.

Princeton?Kaplan? Please advise.

Thanks
Srav
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
Very promising indeed. A 680 on GMATPrep 1 puts you right in the contention for a 700, assuming you didn't get a lot of repeat questions you had seen before.

I recommend buying the Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) book that works on your most problematic area. This will give you great instruction on one specific area as well as give you access to 6 free CATs that give an unprecedented level of feedback afterwards. Just don't be discouraged by the score, the math is much harder than the real test and scores for MGMAT tests are typically a good bit lower than what people score on the real thing.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 18:42
This post received
KUDOS
Why did you say you had a GMATprep2 before you had a GMATprep1?

Scoring 680 on a practice test, if the practice test is accurate, definitely puts you in a good position to hit 700. Most people get a little boost on test day due to stepping up. The clutch factor.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to hear it. My first test didn't go as well as planned either; my timing got way off after I got stuck on a hard math question.

Timing is definitely important. Make sure you know the math formulas, grammar rules, etc., and how to apply them. Knowing your fundamentals so you can quickly recall them is really key. Also work on timing strategies, like process of elimination. I used Cracking the GMAT (Princeton Review book) for strategy and found the tips very helpful when I got stuck.

And keep taking practice tests, but be sure to review your answers carefully. If you're getting questions right untimed but wrong on the timed tests, then continue to work on GMAT-specific skills especially.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 19:00
Tarmac, what did your practice scores look like before you pulled out your insane score on the real deal?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 12:36
Thanks guys for your inputs. I randomly selected GMATPREP -2 initially without any preparation.

Also, I found that I have enough time while working on the Quant Section,but falling a little short in the Verbal Section and scoring less in sentence correction.I will probably go through MGMAT's Sentence Correction Guide
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 13:21
I scored 710 and 730 on the gmatpreps 1st pass, before reinstall. I think 20-ish points is reasonable to expect to get via an adrenalin boost on game day, for most people (some people do worse under pressure).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 10:14
I took the GMAT Today and I ended up with 580..little disappointed.. I was expecting atleast 650 and aiming for 700...
I think I skewed because of mismanagement of time...for some reason in the real exam i could not manage time... and ended short on both Quant and Verbal. If I had completed both sections I guess I would have scored more.

I might re-take the exam..maybe in april... is a long gap advisable?..

The schools that I am aiming for Emory and Georgia State ..will still take 580, but I am thinking of increasing my chances by getting a better score...
Re: Practice Test Scores-Need your thoughts   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2008, 10:14