Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 13:11
Hi All,

I completed four Manhattan GMATs and 1 GMAT Prep.

Scores are as follows:

GMAT Prep 1 - 700 Q - 49 V - 35

MGMAT 1 - 640 Q - 47 V - 32
MGMAT 2 - 680 Q - 48 V - 34
MGMAT 3 - 680 Q - 48 V - 34
MGMAT 4 - 670 Q - 49 V - 33.

I am stuck in the range of 670s .

I am writing my exam on Dec 19th which is like close to a month from today.

Please suggest some useful ways to approach my last month of preparation.

Any positive help would be appreciated.
Awaiting some good suggestions.

Thanks,
ckarimanoor
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2008
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE: Law (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 18:02
Honestly, one of the best things that you can do from this position is get some quality help in the verbal sections - this seems to be holding you back. Can you pinpoint specific question types that you are struggling with? This will help guide the appropriate response.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 19:24
I agree with the above I wouldn't really spend that much time focusing on the quant portion as your scores are fairly decent. I think you should spend some time working to up your verbal score. Maybe go through the MGAT SC book or spend some quality time at the verbal forum.
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 20:10
u0422811 wrote:
I agree with the above I wouldn't really spend that much time focusing on the quant portion as your scores are fairly decent. I think you should spend some time working to up your verbal score. Maybe go through the MGAT SC book or spend some quality time at the verbal forum.

Thanks for the reply.

I should say that my score have been consistently above 30 only because of the SC section.
My least in SC was 9/15 and mac was 12/15. I read Manhattan SC twice.

I see more fluctuations in CR and RC.
Can you plz help me on these two things.

Regards,
ckarimanoor
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1043

Kudos [?]: 4563 [0], given: 162

Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 20:27
Expert's post
ckarimanoor wrote:
u0422811 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I should say that my score have been consistently above 30 only because of the SC section.
My least in SC was 9/15 and mac was 12/15. I read Manhattan SC twice.

I see more fluctuations in CR and RC.
Can you plz help me on these two things.

Regards,
ckarimanoor

Considering that you are strong in Quant, CR should be intuitive to you. It is closest to Quant, very mathematical, very logical! For each type of question, there are specific guidelines that you need to keep in mind and you will not make a mistake e.g. remember that in strengthen/ weaken questions, you have to strengthen/weaken the conclusion of the stimulus. In inference questions, your correct option cannot have any new information etc
For examples, check out these posts:
cr-doctors-in-britain-have-long-suspected-that-patients-68935.html?hilit=conclusion
parasitic-wasps-lay-their-eggs-105879.html?hilit=conclusion

Reading and practicing some good passages should help you sail through RC. Check out Veritas CR and RC books; you will definitely see improvement.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 203 [1] , given: 10

Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The best way to improve your verbal at this point is to spend some quality time going back over the work you've already done. Tear those arguments and passages apart, and go through the answer choices one by one, determining why each choice is right or wrong! The goal is to get comfortable with every type of question you might be asked, and to strengthen your skill at eliminating answers quickly. Once you start to get a feel for the kind of answers that are typically correct in CR & RC, the answer should start to "pop out" at you on some problems (provided you've done enough analysis up-front). Take a look at these responses to see specific tips for CR & RC:

critical-reasoning-practice-tests-120091.html

review-rc-passage-mistakes-112792.html

I hope this helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 01:11
I totally agree with Dmitry about reviewing your work and developing a plan of attack for each type of CR/SC problem.

Once you have really got a handle on the strategy - practise, practise and practise, untill it becomes automatic.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Practice tests Scores in 670 range. What to do?   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2011, 01:11