Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Practicing with problems below one´s level. Makes sense?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Practicing with problems below one´s level. Makes sense? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 07:28
Hi guys,

I am currently scoring 650 (with balanced quant and verbal scores) and I would like to know if apart from practicing with drills of questions of my current level (600-700), it makes sense to do drills in the 500-600 range.

At first I thought it would be a waste of time.

But I decided to give it a try and found it helpful because:
- It helps me review and retain foundations (I get a good mixed practice of every topic)
- It helps me with my pace (I am able to practice my "Moving-Forward-Don´t-Look-Back Attitude")
- It builds confidence (I try to achieve 80-90% of all answers correct.)

Just to be clear, I do practice with questions in my current level, but I just wanted to know if you consider practicing with below-level questions useful as well.

What do you think? Has this proven helpful for any of you?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9412 [1] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Practicing with problems below one´s level. Makes sense? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well... yes, but is that the best use of your time?
From what you have said, it may be if it helps you to clear and cover areas. I would suggest focusing on the questions you get wrong (those 10-20%) and try to get as much learning value as you can.

One note to those who try to do questions that are harder/much harder - that's probably of least value at this time for you. Ideally you would find questions that are around your level of difficulty (slightly lower and slightly higher are good too).

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Practicing with problems below one´s level. Makes sense? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 03:07
Expert's post
If you have persistent weaknesses in one certain area you should (either alone or with a private tutor or a study partner) focus to eliminate them. This can be made by learning the respective concept from scratch and practice it on questions in all difficulty levels. However, you would have to start with easy questions.

In general it makes more sense to always study a bit harder questions as you will solve easier questions automatically if hard one are no problem.

If you have questions please contact us for a free and non-binding individual study plan.

OPTIMUS PREP

Best regards,

Artem Morgunov I Founder of Optimus Prep I morgunov@optimus-prep.com

Re: Practicing with problems below one´s level. Makes sense?   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 03:07