Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Practise for +700 - recommendations for books etc. needed! [#permalink]
ngould wrote:
It sounds like you understand the material and you simply need more practice. I think that a good alternative to a book would be a question bank. Both Kaplan and The GMAT Club have question banks with large quantities of difficult questions.

Thanks for your answer! Compared to the books the banks are rather expensive, but offer a lot of questions. If i decide for banks, one will suffice ;) I will do some qotd and advanced questions to get a feeling whether they are helping me or I should stick to the "basics". I am rather sceptical about questions like the gmatclub bank, which are termed "extra-hard".... but maybe doing very difficult questions gets you very general benefits for cognitive performance on other questions as well. The simply more detailed know-how is not necessarily a good gain/effort for me personally, it seems to me.

SamJNGP wrote:
I suggest that review the wrong answers again, you will learn more from it.
by the way, are you a native English speaker?

Reviewing wrongs goes without saying.
@native: No, I'm not - implications? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
XP
To me, 690 is a pretty high score, so to review it is my main strategy

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
With a score of 690, you're certainly good at basics however, the score is not 720+ either because of careless mistakes or because of poor accuracy in 700+ level questions.
I think practicing 700+ level questions and reducing careless mistakes will certainly help.
To reduce careless errors, some nice tips by an instructor is discussed here the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
SirGMAT wrote:
Hi guys,

I have done the Manhattan books and did some OG practising, then took a practice exam resulting in 690. Most of my mistakes are due to sloppy approaches, and towards the end in Verbal, lack of concentration -> Very few questions were too hard to be understood.

Therefore, my plan is to become perfect in the "basics" and have no simple concentration - or the like - mistakes. I have considered buying the OG Quant + Verbal review, because I will be done with OG review questions soon - but some people comment that the other OG reviews are too easy, especially if one aims at 700+. Can anyone propose practise books etc. for this case??
I have a 2009 or so Kaplan advanced book from a friend, the table of contents looks promising, is it good?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi,

If you have done OG profoundly with error logs, I suggest go for other books rather than Quant and verbal review. They are basic and wont help much if you are aiming for 700+.

1. Go for specialized books from Veritas like Veritas SC , Veritas Data Sufficiency, Veritas Reading Comprehension & Veritas Geometry. These provide you with a lot of higher level problems along with thorough explanations. Buying any of the book directly from Veritas or Amazon or flipkart gives you access to 5 Veritas tests too.

or

2. Go for new veritas prep question bank https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/ (Absolutely free, But yes questions start at a basic level and move up as you advance further I suppose ) or Consider doing a lot of problems from Gmat Club tags. Nothing beats that

3. Grab the gmatprep collection for verbal from gmat club and solve them. Also consider gmatclub tests for improving your quant from 48 to the peak.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rajeevrks27 wrote:
With a score of 690, you're certainly good at basics however, the score is not 720+ either because of careless mistakes or because of poor accuracy in 700+ level questions.
I think practicing 700+ level questions and reducing careless mistakes will certainly help.
To reduce careless errors, some nice tips by an instructor is discussed here the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html

Very nice, you grasped my considerations exactly - thanks for the link, I will check it out right now!

igloo wrote:

Hi,

If you have done OG profoundly with error logs, I suggest go for other books rather than Quant and verbal review. They are basic and wont help much if you are aiming for 700+.

1. Go for specialized books from Veritas like Veritas SC , Veritas Data Sufficiency, Veritas Reading Comprehension & Veritas Geometry. These provide you with a lot of higher level problems along with thorough explanations. Buying any of the book directly from Veritas or Amazon or flipkart gives you access to 5 Veritas tests too.

or

2. Go for new veritas prep question bank https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-question-bank/ (Absolutely free, But yes questions start at a basic level and move up as you advance further I suppose ) or Consider doing a lot of problems from Gmat Club tags. Nothing beats that

3. Grab the gmatprep collection for verbal from gmat club and solve them. Also consider gmatclub tests for improving your quant from 48 to the peak.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your answer! I have already registered for the veritas prep bank and will try some problem sets today. The RC book sounds interesting as well; the MGMAT RC strategy does not work that well for me, so I derived on my own after some practising, but could still use enough training.

ad 3.: Are you referring to the online bank of gmatclub - or the forum? Did not find anything else on the quick.

Best regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
SirGMAT wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:

Very nice, you grasped my considerations exactly - thanks for the link, I will check it out right now!

igloo wrote:

Hi,

or

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your answer! I have already registered for the veritas prep bank and will try some problem sets today. The RC book sounds interesting as well; the MGMAT RC strategy does not work that well for me, so I derived on my own after some practising, but could still use enough training.

ad 3.: Are you referring to the online bank of gmatclub - or the forum? Did not find anything else on the quick.

Best regards

I mean this :

Gmat Club Tag Search:

These links contain directories for all GMAT topics such as SC,CR,RC,PS and DS. Here you can search for a question based on difficulty,Source,sub-topic e.t.c..

https://gmatclub.com/forum/viewforumtags.php

Gmat club question directory:

These links contain directories for individual GMAT topics such as SC,CR,RC,PS and DS. Here you can search for a question based on difficulty.

Official guide for GMAT Review, 13th edition:

These links contain discussions of OG 13 questions - all verbal questions from OG 13 and quite a handful of quant problems from OG 13.

GMAT Club Bot