Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pre-MBA Career Change?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pre-MBA Career Change? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 13:05
Ok, new to the forum. Advise would be appreciated.

So my main question: Should I seek IB or something in that facinity to secure a top-15 MBA program.

Here is my quick info:

Did not take GMAT as of yet, Practice tests >700.
GPA 3.5 in Finance from a tier 1 (or 2) regional college. Top 3 in NY.
CFA lv 1
CMT (Chartered Market Technician)
Have some EC during college, nearly none now.

Work experience (this is where, I think the problem lies):
1.5 yrs FT
1.5 yrs as an intern in college (worked 20+ hours, since I'm in NY it was easy to attain).

The 3yrs as a working experience was all spend in capital markets, particulary currencies.
Currently, I work as a sell-side currency analyst at one of the top retail brokerage firms.
Plenty of presentations, client exposure, analysis, and research is done. Analysis appeared at many financial outlets - magazines, newspapers, online websites, etc (no TV, yet). Have a tier 2 (think of it as a business school) name in the industry.
Yet, I do not think I have a solid shot as do many of my friends from GS, Blackrock, Standard&Poors', etc getting into the programs.

I was thinking of changing my job and getting into something that will be more competitive for top-15 schools to take a look at. Was hoping if someone could advise on what to seek. Furthermore, if making a switch of industries would it hurt or help chances after GMAT has been taken?

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Pre-MBA Career Change? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 13:28
From my point of view, your career does not need to get any better to make you more competitive for even top five MBA. You got solid experience and looks like you will get solid GMAT, in both cases you are well positioned for applying to pretty much any MBA program. What you do need is a reason to get an MBA: you are doing very well as a businessman already, so why do you need an MBA? You are the kind of applicant who has a great record but needs to differentiate themselves from too many people who also have a great record, in order to stand out and get accepted. To get yourself into top-tier business school, you need to come up with a unique personal brand. For that, you need to show special interests, and that means you definitely need to work on your EC. Start early because if you start EC one or even two years before applying to b-school it might look like you did it just for application purposes. Also, though your internship sounds great it wouldn't really count towards your official pre-MBA work experience track record, which is on average 4 to 5 years for business schools. To sum up, your main task as an MBA applicant wouldn't be to go from great to even better work experience (though doing that certainly wont hurt your chances), but to work on differentiating yourself from an excess of people with similar work profile competing for top-tier MBA schools.

>>>>>>> "Fences set on a high place will not stand firm against the wind; so a timid mind with a fool's resolve will not stand firm against any fear." ~~~~~~

Re: Pre-MBA Career Change?   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2011, 13:28