Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 4

Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 18:40
You've got into your Sleazy Spammer. Your excited and you want to just resign right now and go live in Thailand for the next couple of months - storing energy up for the race/journey ahead. And then you wonder - what can I do to better plan myself, better prepare for this adventure?

Thoughts - tips - suggestions - advice - discussion

e.g:

I have identifies some of the suggested readings/books for the core suubjects and started reading up on them.
My Excel is really weak. Have borrowed a book and considering taking a course on Excel.
Probably start going for Toastmasters again.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 16:53
Honestly? You aren't going to feel like doing anything like that.

Once you've combined deciding on which schools offer to take, quitting your current job, finding new housing, coordinating your move, saving goodbye to friends, and taking some time off in the summer, you'll put extra prep at the bottom of the list.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea, but since it's isn't a requirement, you'll likely find yourself doing only a fraction of what you thought you would.

If you wanted some direction, I would highly suggest you contact your school and ask for ideas on how to prep. They'll likely be very familiar with common areas of weakness and will be able to help you focus on those.

The thing is, each school will often assume different things. Some will assume a strong grasp of stats, while others will provide the necessary refresher.

Your idea about Excel is not a bad one though. It is always valuable to be familiar with spreadsheets and the various functions you'll use.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 16:12
What are they charging for these courses?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 01:32
nightwing79 wrote:
You've got into your Sleazy Spammer. Your excited and you want to just resign right now and go live in Thailand for the next couple of months - storing energy up for the race/journey ahead. And then you wonder - what can I do to better plan myself, better prepare for this adventure?

Thoughts - tips - suggestions - advice - discussion

e.g:

I have identifies some of the suggested readings/books for the core suubjects and started reading up on them.
My Excel is really weak. Have borrowed a book and considering taking a course on Excel.
Probably start going for Toastmasters again.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 13:23
Great thread. Was just looking to start one on these lines but found this. However, the subscription to this thread indicates that people are "to hell with GMC" once they get in. :), and they prolly won't want to think about anything else.

Well I got into Kellogg about 20 days back, and I started Toastmasters yesterday (let's see how long that keeps up).
I'm also reading my CFA Economics book whenever I find the time, which is 30 mins a week :). (Couldnt do the CFA cos I was sent on an international project at work), but the books are good.

Some things I want to do, and it's tough to gather momentum for that, is reach out to companies in my area, tell them I'm going to business school, and probably get into an unpaid internship/apprenticeship position with them for 4-5 months, just to get a feel for my chosen career path. I say unpaid, because I'm on H-1 and am not supposed to earn income other than my primary employer.

Other than that, I guess we could read a lot, just any non-fiction, just to keep ourselves distracted from the feel-good achievement which makes us lazy :).

cheers all !!
-wg
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 15:48
wiseguyMBA wrote:
just any non-fiction, just to keep ourselves distracted from the feel-good achievement which makes us lazy :).

cheers all !!
-wg

Or just relax for a bit and enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. Believe me, there will be plenty of time spent doing "serious" reading once you get to school. I think the best thing you can do to prepare for school is to take some time to relax and clear your mind. You'll be thankful for it once school starts and your schedule is completely filled from early morning to late night.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 11:49
Jerz wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
just any non-fiction, just to keep ourselves distracted from the feel-good achievement which makes us lazy :).

cheers all !!
-wg

Or just relax for a bit and enjoy that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment. Believe me, there will be plenty of time spent doing "serious" reading once you get to school. I think the best thing you can do to prepare for school is to take some time to relax and clear your mind. You'll be thankful for it once school starts and your schedule is completely filled from early morning to late night.

Jerz, thanks for your post. Well, you're obviously there and doing b-school routine, so you know better.
All I'm saying is, I work 9-6 (pretty light routine in my new role), so instead of watching TV and playing Xbox for 6 hrs a day, I could sure use atleast 2 hrs to do something which will make me feel less of a log !! :).
Intern
Intern

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 09:27
Jerz
that is very irresponsible advice, in my opinion. My older bro graduated from Wharton last year and he said the one smart thing to do before b-school is to prepare yourself intellectually, and if possible, do anything to improve your skillset.
Toastmasters is a terrific idea, and so is reading.
Guys sometimes the best thing to do is follow your interest and improve Your skills. People will give you advice from their perspective but in this economy and situation, wasting 7 months before b-school is a crime I'd think.
By the way,
Who's going to booth Admitted Students weekend on march 5-6?

Cheers

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 22:55
Congrats that you are already admitted to the MBA course. Take some classes for the toughest subjects that you find.
You may even find some online courses to help you out. Good Luck!

Regards,
Forest Trail Academy
Re: Pre-MBA Course prep: Tips, Sugstn,discsn (post admission)   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2012, 22:55