Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pre-MBA internship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 01:37
bigfernhead wrote:
Bump. Anyone looking for pre-mba internships this year?

Yes I am.

Mentioned and leveraged the fact that I was going to (a good) business school in my cover letter. Which my friend (who works at the company) then sent on to their HR people.

Got an interview pretty quickly and mentioned I would be happy to work for free......got positive vibes from interview think it will go through.

Its for an internet start-up btw.

MIT, Booth, HBS, Stanford

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-40.html#p640997

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (R2 Admit), Tuck (R1 Ding), Booth (R2 Ding), Wharton (R2 Interviewed) , HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Yale SOM (R3 withdrew), Tepper (R3 withdrew)
WE 1: 5.5 yrs engineering

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 16:56
I'm interested in getting a pre-MBA consulting internship that starts roughly first week of May and ends roughly last week of July. Is that possible with McK/BCG/Bain?

I emailed a local wireless technology company about pre-MBA product management internships but was told that those are not offered and that I should apply for summer 2011. My local options are somewhat limited and I really don't feel like moving in April and then moving again in early August, but for McK/BCG/Bain I would certainly consider it.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 20:14
I wasn't thinking about it before, but now I'm actually kinda toying with the idea. Trying to see if I can get an internship in marketing or business development at a tech or energy-related firm. Since I come from an engineering background with no significant business experience, I think it would make me much more marketable to recruiters at b-school. If I get an internship, I may have to revise the date for leaving my current company. I wonder how my boss would take that. Fun, fun, fun.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 2

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
machg400 wrote:
I'm interested in getting a pre-MBA consulting internship that starts roughly first week of May and ends roughly last week of July. Is that possible with McK/BCG/Bain?

I would think that would be extremely difficult due to the structure of those firms. They are in the midst of hiring undergrads for analyst positions, mba's for internships/FT positions and don't really have a place for the experienced-but-not-yet-mba intern. Same goes for banks. Best shot is going to be boutiques (even then you might need an "in") or start-ups that need free labor.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 05:14
How long do these internships usually run? Is it possible to get one for June, July, and part of August? Not sure if I can do May yet.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 08:20
merkin wrote:
They are in the midst of hiring undergrads for analyst positions, mba's for internships/FT positions and don't really have a place for the experienced-but-not-yet-mba intern. Same goes for banks. Best shot is going to be boutiques (even then you might need an "in") or start-ups that need free labor.

this. pretty much everywhere i applied to i faced the in-between-analyst-and-associate problem.

mind you, i've only applied to a few places. i've been very selective in whom i contact for the internship apps, and most of them have been through some sort of contacts - so i have a realistic chance of actually landing the job. so far it seems like i'm headed to china for the summer for an IB internship. this would pretty much require me to work 90 hr weeks...but it'll also help me really boost my profile for landing an associate position next yr. so i guess it's worth it.

my back up plan (in case this falls through last minute) is to just chill at home during the summer. i've invested in a real estate project that needs to be managed/worked on. i'm also a semi-pro poker player lol. so between these 2 things i'll be having some fun and keeping myself busy.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 16:28
Would it be inappropriate to cold-call(email) alumni from the school I plan to matriculate asking them about any possible pre-MBA internships?

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 07:11
Hi All. Thank you for contributing to a great post.

Another pre-MBA career / internship resource you may want to consider is our professional group, USA Leadership Corps (www.usaLeadershipCorps.org).

USALC partners with pre-MBAs who are looking to enhance their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds by leading volunteer nonprofit & small business strategy consulting projects.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 10:30
staind wrote:
Would it be inappropriate to cold-call(email) alumni from the school I plan to matriculate asking them about any possible pre-MBA internships?

I've been wondering about this too. I contacted an alum and asked about a specific intern position for which he was hiring. He did get back to me, but stressed that his first preference was MBA students who'd completed one year. He invited me to apply next summer.

While I'd like to leverage Booth's network, I don't want to go overboard either. Can any current students shed some light on staind's question? Thanks!

My profile
My GMAT experience

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
wiredo wrote:
staind wrote:

I've been wondering about this too. I contacted an alum and asked about a specific intern position for which he was hiring. He did get back to me, but stressed that his first preference was MBA students who'd completed one year. He invited me to apply next summer.

While I'd like to leverage Booth's network, I don't want to go overboard either. Can any current students shed some light on staind's question? Thanks!

Depends how badly you want to do a pre-MBA internship. I landed one through my personal network, which I think is the most likely way to do this. However, if you don't know people in your desired field, I don't think there's any harm in doing exactly what you did. Chances are you'll get a lot of responses similar to the one you got, but as with anything persistence is going to be key. By that i don't mean harassing the same guy to give you a job, but rather reaching out to lots if different people until you find the right one. Best case scenario, you land an internship that you love. Worst case scenario you make some contacts in the industry.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-MBA internship [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 05:17
nink wrote:
I think (economy/job market permitting) Pre-MBA Internship is a great idea for people without specific industry experience for their dream job after bschool. If you have the experience on your resume (before the school publishes their resume book etc), then not only can you impress potential recruiting company reps on your interest in the industry, they might be less skeptical due to your inexperience in that field.

Hi spideyeclipse27,

I agree with nink. A pre-MBA internship is great for people looking to boost their leadership experience in advance of formal internship / full-time position recruiting. Consulting is a valuable skill worthy of a pre-MBA internship. Great experiences can be gained by consulting a struggling nonprofit or small business with its financial, operations, and marketing challenges.

Consider partnering with a volunteer organization such as SCORE, Net Impact, USALC, or Taproot. These orgs provide strategy consulting assistance to emerging organizations in need by structuring pre-MBA volunteer internships for professionals like yourself.

Thank you again & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
www usaLeadershipCorps org
Re: Pre-MBA internship   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2013, 05:17