Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 20:59
Does anyone know how Berkeley extension assesses the prerequisites? The pre-req for the basic finance class is Accounting. Will they check my undergrad transcript for an accounting class?

I want to take Accounting, Basic Finance, and one other class at the same time (maybe Managerial Accounting or Marketing or Real Estate), but I'm not sure if this is possible since accounting is a pre-req for finance. If they do check for this pre-req, does anyone have any other quant focused class suggestions? I read in one of the posts that accounting is more of a soft quant, unlike finance and math.

Also, I have a degree in Econ with a crappy gpa, so I've taken calc III, and intro econ courses at the undergrad level. My lowest grade in those classes was a C+ in calc III, and I passed out of stats, calc I and II. (My crappy gpa is from higher level econ classes and pre-med classes.) Should I be repeating any of the coursework? I don't think my grades in each of the classes were low enough to warrant re-taking any of those courses.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 21:02
I can't speak for Berkeley per se, but the Finance online extension course at BYU has accounting as a prerequisite, but they don't require any confirmation that you've actually taken accounting. Essentially, it's just more difficult to do the Finance course without having taken Accounting, as they'll assume accounting knowledge in the former. I suspect Berkeley is the same way - it's not worth their time to verify a prereq.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 09:34
I took basic corp finance at UNEX and can assure you they don't check your background. I don't even think I used anything I had learned from acct in the course. It helps somewhat with reading financial statements, but that isn't really rocket science at the basic corp finance level. If you take Hyman's class, he's pretty darn good.
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 11:57
I've looked into taking a few extension/comm college courses, and it seems as though pre-requisite is essentially nothing more than a recommendation...especially if you already have your BA.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 18:45
Thanks for the info!

I'm holding off until 5/15 before I register for the classes. 5/15 is the notification for Round 3, so hopefully, I'll get off the waitlist then. The last thing I want to do is to spend close to $2200 on online courses if I get off the waitlist in May! I figured that if I don't hear in May, I probably won't get in. I know some people get in over the summer, but the yield seems really high, so I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Re: Pre-requisites at UC Berkeley online extension courses   [#permalink] 09 May 2008, 18:45