Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 May 2015, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Predicament with class start dates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 20:40
I have a great opportunity that I am considering, but it would require a work commitment through September of next year. The opportunity fits into my long term goals perfectly (i.e., it would help prepare me for the career that I want post b school, which is working as an equities research analyst) as it would give me significant exposure to the markets that I want to cover. I was planning on applying this fall and then in theory would matriculate next September. The catch is that I wouldn't be able to attend class until late September. So, is this a "no-go" for applying this year if I really want to do the opportunity as most schools start the first week in September? Also, I am 29 now, will be 30 when I apply this fall, and would be 31 when I matriculate. If I have to wait a year because of the dates, then I would be one year older when I apply (31 years old). Does this change my chances much of being accepted? I know I would be at a slight disadvantage at 30, but would 31 be much of a difference from 30? I have the "why xyz school, why now," part down in the application, its just if the age is a big factor then I may not take the opportunity. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 19:36
I guess the real question here is whether applying at 30 vs 31 will have much of an impact on my chances of getting into a top 10. Can any of the older applicants please chime in?
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 03:51
I can guarantee you that you won't be able to miss the month of September. I highly doubt the school will even consider it. You would end up so behind on EVERYTHING (classes, networks, clubs) that you could never catch up.

As for your second question, no 30 or 31 yrs old, it won't matter.

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 271

Kudos [?]: 1710 [1] , given: 7

Premium Member
Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
Can't speak to all schools but .... at booth, given that classes are 10 weeks at length, and that, really, the last two weeks are final exams and reading week, missing an entire month of courses would be nearly impossible to recover from. You'd likely miss the midterms, or at best have a week to cram for them, you'd have missed all of the homeworks, you wouldn't have a study group (if one is required) -- odds are, you'd be listed as failing the course before you ever set foot in the door. I think, at best, you'd MAYBE eek out a C, if you absolutely killed yourself for the last four weeks. Academic probation seems likely. On top of that, you'd miss out on a TRUCKLOAD of resume writing events, career networking activities, company presentations, etc. Moreover, friendships are forged quickly. Missing a month of school on the front end is going to make you feel like an outsider.

Can you not negotiate with the firm? Seems like they would understand, and were talking about a month difference - not six months.
Intern
Intern

Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 07:52
Thanks for the insight...I had no idea. It makes perfect sense though. I've communicated my desires to the HR group, so we'll see if they will allow a different completion date.

In the worst case scenario that they will not allow me to finish before the September date, what would each of you do in the situation? From Refurb, I get the sense that its probably better to do the opportunity given that there really isnt a difference in me applying at the age of 30 or 31. Thanks again for any advice...I've been toiling over this one for a couple of days.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 18:59
I talked to UNC about missing the second half of orientation week and they said only if I'm getting married or dealing with a family death. I can't see them allowing any missed classes.
Intern
Intern

Re: Predicament with class start dates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 16:21
Good to know - thanks
Re: Predicament with class start dates   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2010, 16:21