Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 111 [2] , given: 269

CAT Tests
Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 23:42
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:30) correct 40% (01:38) wrong based on 288 sessions
Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to have been possible by reducing phenomena to mathematical expressions. Some social scientists also want the power to predict accurately and assume they ought to perform the same reduction. But this would be a mistake; it would neglect data that are not easily mathematized and thereby would only distort the social phenomena.
Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the argument?

(A) The social sciences do not have as much predictive power as the natural sciences.
(B) Mathematics plays a more important role in the natural sciences than it does in the social sciences.
(C) There is a need in the social sciences to improve the ability to predict.
(D) Phenomena in the social sciences should not be reduced to mathematical formulas.
(E) Prediction is responsible for the success of the natural sciences.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 614

Kudos [?]: 2412 [2] , given: 716

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to have been possible by reducing phenomena to mathematical expressions. Some social scientists also want the power to predict accurately and assume they ought to perform the same reduction. But this would be a mistake; it would neglect data that are not easily mathematized and thereby would only distort the social phenomena.
Which one of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion of the argument?

(A) The social sciences do not have as much predictive power as the natural sciences. We dont know but may be psychology improves prediction power of social sciences into something better than that of natural sciences. SO cannot assume.
(B) Mathematics plays a more important role in the natural sciences than it does in the social sciences.This might sound correct. But mathematics do not play any role in the fields themselves, but rather helps in prediction in those fields. Incorrect
(C) There is a need in the social sciences to improve the ability to predict.This is wrong by the same logic that I wrote in 1
(D) Phenomena in the social sciences should not be reduced to mathematical formulas.This is correct as social sciences contain data that is not easily mathematized
(E) Prediction is responsible for the success of the natural sciences.We dont know whether natural sciences are successful. All we know is that prediction is possible there

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 34

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Rather than go through a POE, I think there is an easier method by looking at the question:

Which of the following most accurately expresses the main conclusion? – Meaning: Locate the main conclusion in the argument and match to one of A-E.

So lets find the conclusion:
Prediction, the hallmark..... a premise describing what prediction is (therefore very much factual)
Some social scientist...... further information on the preferences of social scientists. Another premise.
But this would be a mistake..... Bingo! This statement talks about what would happen in the hypothetical future if the aforementioned premises were followed. I like these kind of conclusions (ones which talk about what might happen in the future) because they are easily located by the mere fact they occur in a different ‘tense’ in the argument.

All you need to do now is read A – E and see which matches this conclusion. There is only one thats close: D

Hope that helps

B.

In the study cave!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 614

Kudos [?]: 2412 [0], given: 716

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 01:22
Expert's post
Yeah that is whats the best option for conclusion/inference questions. However, I think its good to show how exactly the wrong answer choices are wrong so that you have a feeling of how gmat throws you off guard.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 10:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 272

CAT Tests
Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 10:18
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) The social sciences do not have as much predictive power as the natural sciences. We dont know but may be psychology improves prediction power of social sciences into something better than that of natural sciences. SO cannot assume.
(B) Mathematics plays a more important role in the natural sciences than it does in the social sciences.This might sound correct. But mathematics do not play any role in the fields themselves, but rather helps in prediction in those fields. Incorrect
(C) There is a need in the social sciences to improve the ability to predict.This is wrong by the same logic that I wrote in 1
(D) Phenomena in the social sciences should not be reduced to mathematical formulas.This is correct as social sciences contain data that is not easily mathematized
(E) Prediction is responsible for the success of the natural sciences.We dont know whether natural sciences are successful. All we know is that prediction is possible there

@Souvik : I have no problem with D if it states that "For prediction to be possible,phenomena in the social sciences should not be reduced to mathematical formulas. ", but don't you think the statement D may not be true in all the cases.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 12:31
Between C and D, I chose C from the idea - Some social scientists also want the power to predict :roll:

I felt D is a bit extreme to conclude. Someone please explain why C is out.

Thanks.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 135

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 4

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 07:58
Hi CSSK,

to get this right, you really need to get what the meaning of 'conclusion' is. That is to say the result of what you are thinking at the end of the passage, with all info taken into account.

With C -it's not the CONCLUSION. It's more the starting point for the argument.

Hence why it is wrong

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 04:51
D for me

Psg conclusion: But this would be a mistake; it would neglect data that are not easily mathematized and thereby would only distort the social phenomena - saying don't do it, not the way to go.

D) Phenomena in the social sciences should not be reduced to mathematical formulas.
Re: Prediction, the hallmark of natural sciences, appears to   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2014, 04:51