Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preferred work experience type?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Preferred work experience type? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 03:18
Hi. I am sure this has been answered before but I would like to ask what sort of work experience is preferred by business schools?

Contrary to what some sites say, work experience is not created equal. For example I heard that working in operations for a bank is frowned upon compared to people who work in the IBD sections. I also heard that business schools vastly prefer strategy consultants and possibly F100 leadership program participants?

Why is it like that? What constitutes to preferable work experience? Is it the company? The position? The field you in?

Would be grateful for any answers.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preferred work experience type? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:01
Expert's post
Well every aspect is important. First of all, industries/jobs/companies that are perceived as very competitive are the best. So, a McKinsey job, a high profile IB job, working in PE, corporate lawyer for a huge global firm.... these are the type of jobs that are the "creme de la creme".

After that, whatever it is you do, it is important that you have succeeded - so quick promotions, big achievements, leadership of others.
finally also looked at is not just the job itself but how you have PROGRESSED throughout your career.

So ideal situation - worked for McKinsey a few years, and outperformed everybody else :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preferred work experience type? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:59
dchan,
I agree with Jon, but I think your real question is, is your work experience strong enough? To answer that, which I'd be happy to, I'd need to see your resume/CV. Feel free to email it to me at paulbodine@yahoo.com.

---Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

dchan wrote:
Hi. I am sure this has been answered before but I would like to ask what sort of work experience is preferred by business schools?

Contrary to what some sites say, work experience is not created equal. For example I heard that working in operations for a bank is frowned upon compared to people who work in the IBD sections. I also heard that business schools vastly prefer strategy consultants and possibly F100 leadership program participants?

Why is it like that? What constitutes to preferable work experience? Is it the company? The position? The field you in?

Would be grateful for any answers.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: Preferred work experience type?   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2013, 08:59