Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 10:42
Hi everyone, and thank you so much for taking the time to look at my profile. I am not planning to apply until the 2014 window, but need some advice. I need to know how my profile is looking as of now, where improvements can be made, and whether it is H/S/W quality, top 10 quality, top 25 quality, or top 50 quality.

School: University of St Thomas, bachelor of Arts in Accounting. 3.4, with a 3.6 in my major. I am only 2 classes away from a music major.

I worked my way through school, and have 4yrs of various business internships not including the one listed below (I went to school for 5yrs). Because of this I had no extracurricular activities while in school. I also taught guitar lessons, maxing out at 20 students that I acquired on my own through marketing myself.

GMAT: 710

Race/Gender: White/Male

Credentials: CPA

Extra-Curricular Activities:
Toastmasters member, go every other week for the last half year, and will continue until I matriculate in 2yrs.

Part of Accountability MN, a nonprofit where I am on a group of accountants that travel around MN and do tax returns for charity. Ive done this for the past 3 years.

Full Time Internship Experience (worked 40hrs while going to school full time): UnitedHealth Care Children’s Foundation
1yr: Worked as an accountant for this nonprofit which has a $1million fund. Got to see the entire accounting cycle, and was the only accountant for 3 months while the lead accountant was on leave.

Full Time Work Experience: UnitedHealth Group

2yrs Accounting and Financial Analysis: Converted the financial statements following healthcare reform. After the conversion, I helped with book keeping and analysis of financial records. Also helped with in housing a PBM function that used to be done by Express Scripts.

2yrs (on matriculation) Internal Audit: Just started working in Internal Audit, but I will be doing operational audits instead of financial audits.

Post MBA Goals: I want to stay in healthcare, either go into working in a hospital, insurance, pharmaceuticals, or some sort of consulting.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [1] , given: 0

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
mberg5 wrote:
Hi everyone, and thank you so much for taking the time to look at my profile. I am not planning to apply until the 2014 window, but need some advice. I need to know how my profile is looking as of now, where improvements can be made, and whether it is H/S/W quality, top 10 quality, top 25 quality, or top 50 quality.

School: University of St Thomas, bachelor of Arts in Accounting. 3.4, with a 3.6 in my major. I am only 2 classes away from a music major.

I worked my way through school, and have 4yrs of various business internships not including the one listed below (I went to school for 5yrs). Because of this I had no extracurricular activities while in school. I also taught guitar lessons, maxing out at 20 students that I acquired on my own through marketing myself.

GMAT: 710

Race/Gender: White/Male

Credentials: CPA

Extra-Curricular Activities:
Toastmasters member, go every other week for the last half year, and will continue until I matriculate in 2yrs.

Part of Accountability MN, a nonprofit where I am on a group of accountants that travel around MN and do tax returns for charity. Ive done this for the past 3 years.

Full Time Internship Experience (worked 40hrs while going to school full time): UnitedHealth Care Children’s Foundation
1yr: Worked as an accountant for this nonprofit which has a $1million fund. Got to see the entire accounting cycle, and was the only accountant for 3 months while the lead accountant was on leave.

Full Time Work Experience: UnitedHealth Group

2yrs Accounting and Financial Analysis: Converted the financial statements following healthcare reform. After the conversion, I helped with book keeping and analysis of financial records. Also helped with in housing a PBM function that used to be done by Express Scripts.

2yrs (on matriculation) Internal Audit: Just started working in Internal Audit, but I will be doing operational audits instead of financial audits.

Post MBA Goals: I want to stay in healthcare, either go into working in a hospital, insurance, pharmaceuticals, or some sort of consulting.

The cliche advice would be something like "in the next year, you should get more involved in extracurriculars to enhance your leadership experience" or some other BS like that. The truth is, with only one year, anything you do will be incremental not transformational (i.e. you're not going to be drastically different 12 months from now; and if you are, it's likely something that would've happened to you that you can't predict, rather than something that is deliberate). Doesn't mean you should just stop and do nothing - but that you should be doing whatever it is you would do even if you were not applying to b-school at all (i.e. continuing to work hard to learn and progress in you job, continuing to stay involved in whatever it is that floats your boat, and so forth). You want to build a life, not a resume.

With that said, here's where you stand:

Stretch (but within reach): top 16 schools like Ross, Duke, Darden, Stern, Cornell, Yale and UCLA. Choose 3-4 from this list.

Sweet spot (reasonable shot): top 30 schools like Tepper, Texas, USC, UNC, Emory, Maryland, Georgetown, Purdue, Indiana etc. Choose 3-4 from this list.

Safety (should be close to a guarantee): top 50 schools - mostly local schools like Pepperdine, UC-Irvine, SMU, Fordham, etc.

A lot of your competitiveness is already baked into your profile today, and it's unlikely going to change much a year from now (any new extracurriculars, promotions, etc. will likely only be incremental - making you more competitive but not fundamentally changing the tiers of schools that you're in range for).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 13:12
Thanks for not feeding me BS, greatly appreciated and saves me time that I’d rather not be spending doing things I don’t want to do anyway. I’ll just keep going with my current profile. The schools I think I’ll apply to include:

Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Stern, Yale, Cornell, Tepper, and part time Carlson and part time MHA at the UofM.

Schools are a little higher up the list then you recommended, but I’m hoping I’ll be a shoe in to the part time programs listed which will counter that. I’d appreciate the same candid non BS assessment on this idea. If you’re thinking I’m shooting too high with the Chi town schools tell me and I can replace them.
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 519 [1] , given: 0

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
mberg5 wrote:
Thanks for not feeding me BS, greatly appreciated and saves me time that I’d rather not be spending doing things I don’t want to do anyway. I’ll just keep going with my current profile. The schools I think I’ll apply to include:

Kellogg, Booth, Tuck, Stern, Yale, Cornell, Tepper, and part time Carlson and part time MHA at the UofM.

Schools are a little higher up the list then you recommended, but I’m hoping I’ll be a shoe in to the part time programs listed which will counter that. I’d appreciate the same candid non BS assessment on this idea. If you’re thinking I’m shooting too high with the Chi town schools tell me and I can replace them.

Kellogg, Booth, Tuck are going to be real tough, but as you said you have a good range of schools -- and as long as you'd be happy to go to any of them, by all means shoot for Kellogg/Booth/Tuck as well (they're not impossible, but they're going to be big stretches).

Since you have time, what you can do this year if you have time is to visit some of the schools later this fall when class is in session. It'll really help demystify b-school when you're on campus surrounded by current students (and in a way help you with your essays since it'll give you some real experience to draw from when you talk about why the school is a great fit for you).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 16:50
mberg5,
You are probably top 15-25 quality at the moment IMO. I would spend the next year ramping up on all opportunities for leadership impact.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 21:15
Kellogg, Booth, Tuck are going to be real tough, but as you said you have a good range of schools -- and as long as you'd be happy to go to any of them, by all means shoot for Kellogg/Booth/Tuck as well (they're not impossible, but they're going to be big stretches).

Since you have time, what you can do this year if you have time is to visit some of the schools later this fall when class is in session. It'll really help demystify b-school when you're on campus surrounded by current students (and in a way help you with your essays since it'll give you some real experience to draw from when you talk about why the school is a great fit for you).[/quote]

I think in the end I would be happy to go to any of the schools listed. I currently have a job that I like and would only leave under certain circumstances. My company would pay half the cost for me to go part time to Carlson, so for it to make sense to leave I'd have to get into a substantially better school. I think you're right about visiting the b schools I'm interested in, I shouldn't be making a decision based off name recognition, but off of my future career prospects and what makes sense for me. Thanks for the help, it is very much appreciated and I'd give another kudos if I could.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Rather than pick random community service you can at least pursue a leadership experience within Toastmasters and within your job.

Your school selection is good but you should definitely add Duke Fuqua given its tremendous healthcare focus. I think you are competitive for top 8-15 assuming you continue to grow and develop.

If you are applying to part-time schools and in Minnesota (presumably with Carlson) you might also consider better part-time programs in that region like Kellogg part-time, Chicago Booth part-time and Ross part-time, especially Kellogg given the school’s strength in healthcare.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score.

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Preliminary Profile Evaluation 710, 3.4 Health Insurance   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2013, 07:42