Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

prep advice/comments - reasonable expectations

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

prep advice/comments - reasonable expectations [#permalink] New post 26 May 2007, 10:23
I was hoping someone could give me some prep advice as well as reasonable expectation of what my score improvement might be. My test date is 7/19.

I guess you could say I started prepping over winter break... I had to review math all the way from the basics throughout dec/january so I could take Calc this semester (I got an A!!). I went through the PR book in March and scored 540 560 580 on their CATs. I took April off for Spring Break and work was hectic, and I started prep again in May.

-I am in week three of a 7 week veritas course (which blows IMHO) but I've got plenty of good materials to work with. I scored a 640 on GMATPrep test before the course started (I was shocked!) and since then I scored a 560 on Veritas CAT 560 Kaplan CAT and 630 on 800score CAT.

I should mention that I have only completed the AWA once (before the veritas CAT) so I am not sure how negatively that should affect my other scores since I guess I had more mental stamina.

Anyway I was wondering what a reasonable expectation for my first crack at the real GMAT would be? I was aiming for 650-700 range, but am concerned with the fluctuation between CAT scores. I want a reasonable, yet challenging goal here, but I absolutely can't score less that a 640!

Also, my job allows me to work from home frequently, so I was planning on at least 3- 4 hours of prep time a day from now until the test. Maybe even more, since I always seem to be stuck on this site for at least an hour a day(I find working on problems and typing out the reasoning is very helpful.) Is this overkill? I plan to complete the following:

-OG11
-Manhattan SC, Word Translations, and Number Properties
-English Grammar for Dummies and English Grammar Workbook for Dummies (Sentance Correction is by far my weak spot, and it seems like this should be one of the easiest things to improve... so I always like to start from the ground up. it helped me get an A in calculus so I figured I'd use the same approach)
-Elements of Style (read at least 2x)
-All Veritas Materials
-maybe some of the Kaplan book, although I don't want to get confused by different 'strategies'
-I have a DVD a friend loaned to me from the Teaching Company on effective argumentation (it's like a 20 hour mini college class on arguments)
-The ARCO AWA Sample essay book

Is this too much? not enough? is something obviously missing here?
Do you guys/gals work on just math one day, just verbal another... do you take 'days off'? I haven't really stepped back from the material since I started serious prep this month. I can't bear the thought of not doing everything I can do to hopefully get a 700... but if I need days off I'll take em. I've been eating better and going to the gym 3x a week... so not sure what else I can do. Please comment and share your advice.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
prep advice/comments - reasonable expectations   [#permalink] 26 May 2007, 10:23