Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep Advice Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Prep Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 17:11
Hey guys,

I needed some advice on preparing for the GMAT. I've never taken a practice test, or looked into the test at all, but I managed a 2400 on the SAT and a 180 on the LSAT. I need a 750+ score to get into my top choice school because I don't have any work experience.

I also don't have very much time to commit for test prep, and I was looking for a book which was geared towards those who are looking to score very high, besides the Kaplan 800 book. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Prep Advice Needed [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 07:52
Hi,

I know there's a lot of information already posted on this forum for situations similar to yours, but I would suggest that the first step for any studying would be to take a practice test.

You mentioned that you scored well on other standardized tests, and the good news is that Critical Reasoning on the GMAT uses similar skills to some questions on the LSAT, and both have a Reading Comprehension section, so I would assume you would do quite well on your practice test, particularly in verbal.

So, first off, take a practice test, analyze what types of questions you did well on and which need work, and then think about what books to buy or whether you want to take a prep class or a buy a self study package and go from there.

You can take one free practice test on our site here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm . When you sign up you also get access to new free guide, called the GMAT Uncovered, which has a lot of information on the GMAT, some strategy tips, and a few chapters on business school applications. That information will definitely help you as you begin studying for the GMAT, so be sure to check it out.

Best of luck as you begin to study, and feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Prep Advice Needed   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2010, 07:52