Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep course or Tutor?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Prep course or Tutor? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2006, 10:27
I've been studying for the GMAT for a while now. Since I have already purchased book from PR, KP, and MGMAT...is it worth it to even take a course? Would a tutor be more helpful? Or is the best way to study is self-studied?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 09:02
That depends on how you're doing so far in your studies, and what your weaknesses and strengths are. How are you scoring in your practice tests? Do you need help overall, or just in a few areas? What have you done so far to attack your weaknesses? And, are you keeping an error log?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2006, 15:47
Well I started studying in June 2005 and took my first GMAT at the end of Oct, scoring 370. I believe the problem is that I ran out of time, nervousness, and also I had too much materials that I didn't get a chance to master.

The second time I took the GMAT was the end of Dec. This time, I scored a 440. This time again, I ran out of time, but I was not as nervous as before. I had a chance to go over the OG Guide 3 times and kept an error log. I think my weakest area is RC since I never had the patience to practice over and over again in that part.

Now, I am currently using all the manhattan GMAT guides to brush up on my fundamentals, I kept an error log for all the sections of the OG Guide and I plan on going over it at least 3 times before my next test date. I anticipate on taking it by the end of Feb. In the meantime, I will practice RC passages, at least 4 per day until the actual test date. I also plan on taking practice tests on the weekends as well.

Since I've been studying on and off since last june, I am not sure if a Tutor or a class would be any help. I have previously taken a course from Kaplan for the LSAT and thought it was a waste of money and time. I dont want that to happen again. I dont know if it is worth it to spend extra $ especially if I am only shooting between a 550-600. I am not trying to shoot for the stars.

If I kept practicing on my weak areas mostly in Verbal and kept on going over the OG guide error log and going over the basic fundamentals, do you think it would be enough to get my target score? Please help....
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2006, 19:46
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Keep at it with the intense verbal prep, and see how you're doing over the next few weeks. If you don't increase your practice scores, then I would suggest maybe a tutor. I would do PR over Kaplan though because they're so much stronger on verbal.

Good luck...keep us posted. You're on the right track.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2006, 20:52
Do you think it could be a problem if my verbal is weak? I mean, I always score higher on the quant section. People says that the verbal section weigh more when it comes to scoring on the gmat. I dont know if that is true.

Also, many people says that I should take numerous of practice test to build stamina. What do you think I should do?

Here are the practice tests that I owned, what do you recommend? should I take all of it, or are these particular ones that I should focus on:

gmatprep1
gmatprep2
powerprep1
powerprep2
Kaplan CD 4 tests
Kaplan 2005 book's paper test
PR 2005 book's paper test and question bins 1-4
Manhattan GMAT software (timed and untimed test)
Manhattan GMAT online access practice exams 1-3
Manhattan GMAT Question banks for all the books
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 18:58
Don't do paper tests...you need to do CATs. I don't recall my PR book having any paper tests...there were a lot of practice questions in the book, but I'm pretty sure they only have the computer tests. What book are you using?

I would do PR instead of Kaplan if you're trying to focus on verbal, because PR's verbal questions are MUCH more realistic. They're supposed to be good for math prep (I did not buy them myself), but I would put them last on my list or not at all since verbal is where you're struggling.

I have never heard that verbal is weighted more and would expect them to be weighted equally. Don't worry about this -- just build up your stamina (yes, a lot of timed testing can help there) and be sure you're getting the fundamentals down. I would do practice questions on week days, honing in on one question type a night (easier to master each type when you're focused on just that), and a practice test or two on weekends. Carefully analyze right and wrong answers, and you'll see the patterns of what they're looking for.

Hope that helps...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 20:24
What do you recommend if I want to improve my quant as well? Have you used the Kaplan Math Workbook? I purchased it, but never got around to using it. But I kept on hearing bad things about Kaplan, so I am not sure if I should even waste my time doing on it. Should I use PR and Manhattan GMAT for Quant then?
  [#permalink] 17 Jan 2006, 20:24