Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep course recommendation and a brief intros

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 13:56
hilo to all!!

let me start off by introducing myself. My name is Vincent Phan (23) and I recently finished my undergrad at UIC. I do not have SUPER GPA due to the fact that i was working 30+ hours a week and i like to party... ORR I am just LAZY. ohh i also played a lot of DOTA..... then turned into HON. haha. i just came clean. I've been dota-hon free for 2 weeks now. My plan now is to take the GMAT, score high!, and get into a good mba program..

I am currently unemployed but the time i did work I've did managed to pay off my car.. i do plan to sell my s2000 for any money situation i might run into while prepping for this GMAT.

I've been doing research about what prep classes to take and i've also read tons of articles about gmat.

I just want some inside feedbacks before i take any action.

What prep courses did you guys take? do you recommend taking it?
also Have anyone here did your prep course with Kaplan? if yes which package (after some research i found that this is probably the best and they offer "guarantee" high score.)

any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 04:33
Prep course review thread:
gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html

Start your GMAT journey:
gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:01
I'd start by reading through the forums, particularly some on those that have been "stickied" and deemed to be the best in certain areas.
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 12:47
awesome guys. thanks for the quick reply! i've been lurking here for few days now! i find a lot of stuff very useful!

do u guys recommend dishing out tons of money for a prep course? or should i try studying on my own for a month. take the test and if i do not do so well then take the prep course?

or study 1st then do prep course...?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 04:08
That all depends on you.

Can you self study and put the time to identify your weaknesses, using online resources such as GMATClub and commit yourself to prep?

Or do you need help developing a study plan and some instructor time to get over certain obstacles?

I personally needed a prep course to get over certain obstacles. If I had dedicated more time here, that might have not been necessary, but I don't regret it. The folks at MGMAT were great and the class was well worth the price I paid.

Read through some of the more well written debriefs in the share your gmat experience forum. Start off with a practice test (the free one from the prep companies: MGMAT, Kaplan, Veritas,Knewton, etc or use a GMATPrep test) and figure out what your weakest section is. Work from your weakest up. If you don't really know where to start, the generic content, such as Kaplen GMAT Premier, is an excellent starting point. Take practice tests through your prep to gauge progress and figure out what your roadblocks are. Keep a good error log.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 14:33
thanks for the help. Yeah i have already found tons of helpful tips here including yours! i will be lurking around here for a while =)

once i start practicing and studying. i will keep a log. i will post em up after =)

also i have 1 month until the UIC prep course starts in march-4 to april something. the course is only 400 bucks! right now i will study on my own and check out some gmat books at barnes and nobles
Re: Prep course recommendation and a brief intros   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2012, 14:33