Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 867 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V39
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Prep Course vs. Self-Study??? [#permalink]
Do a diagnostic and see where you stand. if you score below a 600 you should probably consider a full length prep course since they review math fundamentals and many basic strategies. If you do well you might go at it alone, avoiding the time spent in the class room on remedial lessons.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
iggy614 wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about taking a prep course but am not sure this is the best route to go about studying for the exam.

If you had the choice would you take a prep course or self-study?

Also, lets ignore time and money since luckily I do have the luxury of both (I cannot start working for another 3 months and do have extra money to pay for a prep course).

Also, let’s assume that I am a well driven individual who doesn't necessarily need to be "pushed" by a tutor.

Any advice...

Gilad

Iggy - are you considering a classroom course or an online one?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi bb,

i was looking into taking an online course. more specifically, i thought of taking Manhattan GMAT's online course (heard some great things about them!).

Gilad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
MGMAT is good, and their materials and the supplemental stuff online (though you can buy them separately) is real good.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I *personally* needed some direction, so the online class gave me the direction I needed to break the 700 mark. I used the online Manhattan GMAT class and was very happy with the results.

That being said, only taking a class or only self studying is no guarantee to break the 700 mark. There is no one size fits all for everyone.

The best advice:

Figure out what your deficiencies are (using free practice exams)
Read what others have done to address those deficiencies.
Then, push button and receive bacon

No wait, that last one was a joke...

The key is to figure out what strategies will best supplement the material. Only having one side (material alone or strategy alone) will not yield much success. They go hand in hand on standardized tests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!!!

As I stated above I don’t need anyone to push me. The main reason I would like to take a prep course is so I don’t miss any “inside tips” the instructors might be able to provide me with.

The Manhattan GMAT instructors for example have all scored in the 99th percentile. I would like to think that they know some useful tips that are not covered in any textbook.

Does anyone who has taken a course have any input to this “theory” which I have?

Thanks,

Gilad
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is not really answering your question, but just thinking out loud - If I had the money for it - why not?
Total MBA cost is $100,000+ and $1K is only 1% - an insignificant number in the grand scheme of things.
most people would use a car mechanic to change engine oil since their time is worth more, you may as well trust GMAT prep to a qualified expert to get you from point A to point B in the fastest and most efficient manner.

That would be another perspective.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That’s exactly what I’m thinking – bb. To further expand on your point I think that not only the cost of an MBA but the benefit of going to a good program is well worth the $1k.

My main concern isn’t whether the $1k’s worth it. I’m just worried that spending time in a prep course isn’t the most efficient way of studying for the exam…

However, you did make a great point. The people running the prep courses are “qualified experts.” And the Companies who hire them spend countless hours devising a study program which should (at least according to my logic) be the most efficient way of studying.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
iggy614 wrote:
That’s exactly what I’m thinking – bb. To further expand on your point I think that not only the cost of an MBA but the benefit of going to a good program is well worth the $1k.

My main concern isn’t whether the $1k’s worth it. I’m just worried that spending time in a prep course isn’t the most efficient way of studying for the exam…

However, you did make a great point. The people running the prep courses are “qualified experts.” And the Companies who hire them spend countless hours devising a study program which should (at least according to my logic) be the most efficient way of studying.

I agree - go for it.

As an FYI - the biggest mistake people make while taking a Prep Class is thinking that they are paying for a higher score, where in reality they are paying to be taught and even though instructor and class materials count, you will be taking your test alone. You won't get a great score if you consider it an "outsourcing" project where you take a back seat position during prep. Yes, you are being taught for a few hours a day by folks who scored high, but it is up to you to use that knowledge. Still takes work and time. Thus, if in the example with the car mechanic - somebody else changes your oil while you eat or shop, in this case, that somebody else is telling you how to change oil while you are getting dirty in oil and grime under the car.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey bb I appreciate the heads up and am hoping that everyone saw and read your post. I made that exact same mistake when I studied for the SAT. I took a prep course and thought that just because I’m in a class taking a course my score will improve. I didn’t do much during the course and “shockingly” (I am being sarcastic btw) my score went down 50 pts :( lol… So for anyone taking a prep course please read and reread bb’s post ten times because it is a fact!

Anyways, I’m on my way to register for the class. Thank you everyone I really appreciate your responses and help.

Gilad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Iggy614

I’ve been thinking about doing a prep course too.

I have a very demanding full time job, a girlfriend and a social life (not much this summer with GMAT study). I sat a couple of mocks recently and didn’t do so well. I really lack a solid foundation. My timing and exam discipline are poor too. I don’t believe I will reach a 700 score without a huge amount of sacrifice. Luckily I only need a 600 + score to get into one of my programs. After having a restless night last night thinking about my GMAT I decided to book into an MGMAT classroom prep course. The framework, interaction with other gmatters and useful tips I feel will be invaluable. Combing the course with dedicated self-study, I feel I will reach my goal!

Bipolarbear: Excellent point about getting over 600. If you are not even hitting that mark then I feel a prep course is justified.

bb: Excellent point about the cost. In the greater scheme of things it’s minimal. And I completely agree about the prep course only being beneficial if it’s combined with hard graft.

Iggy614: How is your MGMAT course going?

Regards,

Aztec
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi All,

My score now is 470 and I would like to retake the GMAT aiming 700+ score. I know, it is very tough. :roll:
I considered my problems as
1) I am from Malaysia where my secondary school education is in Malay. Hence, it change to English and Quants becomes very difficult for me and I am still not well catching the Math concepts & tricks(I got Q37). So I am thinking I shall re-start everything from basic.
2) My Verbal section is weak too, especially my reading speed to understand the passage & choosing answer. Sometimes, I still find it very difficult to understand the passage.

I plan to take the exam in 3months time.

So I am considering to get online course, which able to teach me from very basic on both Quan and Verbal. Money is an issues for me.
I have gone through the recommendation MGMAT online is exspensive and I found the GMAX online price is affordable.
I would like to get comments on this GMAX online course is worth to go for?

I would appreciate if anyone of you can give me better advise? Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot