Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 14:03
I recently met with an Admissions Counselor from a top 10 program to discuss my prospects of getting into an MBA program. They were very adamant about taking a GMAT prep course and not trying to self study. But I'm at a loss because there are so many companies to choose from. I'm in SoCal and I'm just starting my journey. It was also suggested that I take a couple of Quant courses like Stats or Calc since I was not a business major in undergrad. Any recommendations based on a successful experience would be greatly appreciated :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 15:51
How much time do you have to take the GMAT? If you have 3-4 months then I would suggest that you first go through the materials yourself and see how comfortable you are. If you are able to understand most of the concepts then you may not need prep classes. I am using the MGMAT book and I love the books so far. Infact, I have almost finished reviewing most of the books. They come in a set of 8.
About your quant classes - you could take the required business courses along with your GMAT prep. 2-3 months should be enough for the GMAT.
We have a wonderful source in the form of this forum, use the help of members to develop a study plan.

Good Luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 15:52
Here is a link to reviews of various prep courses
gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 16:30
I definitely have an adequate amount of time to study, I want to take the test in Sept. I bought all of the MGMAT books, the OG 12 and the OG Quant review. I've been studying for about a week and a half now. I guess I'll keep up with my self prep as you suggest and see where I am by May and go from there. Thanks for the link as well :-)

When I have a little more time I'll wander around the site for more direction
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8384 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 16:33
Expert's post
Also, there are some really aggressively priced classes right now. Something to consider. Take a look at the http://gmatclub.com/marketplace

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 16:42
Going to take a look right now. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 17:28
Also, any suggestions for the Calc or Stats classes? I've browsed the site through the search function and didn't really find anything. I also looked at local CC and Cal State class schedules, none seem to have what I was told I need.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 22:30
you may learn some shortcuts in class but you can definitely find them here. Just that you need to continue to implement them in your solutions.
It all depends on what you are comfortable with so dont let some ad com person influence you.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2234

Kudos [?]: 8384 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 22:37
Expert's post
2012Gal wrote:
Also, any suggestions for the Calc or Stats classes? I've browsed the site through the search function and didn't really find anything. I also looked at local CC and Cal State class schedules, none seem to have what I was told I need.

Do you need these for your pre-MBA stats or for the GMAT?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 10:54
bb wrote:
2012Gal wrote:

Do you need these for your pre-MBA stats or for the GMAT?

pre-MBA, I don't have any math classes from undergrad that would help with my application
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:01
If you want to squeeze it into your application, no harm done in taking a course in calculus ;)

It will be of no help to you as far as GMAT is concerned :P

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 13:17
Entwistle wrote:
If you want to squeeze it into your application, no harm done in taking a course in calculus ;)

It will be of no help to you as far as GMAT is concerned :P

Yeah, the problem I see now is that they all seem to have pre-req's... I guess this is what I get! lol
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 17:58
Try and find courses which include other elements of intermediate-advance mathematics along with calculus e.g. Algebra (Linear equations in one variable, Linear equation in two variables, Quadratic equations, Second degree equations etc), Sequences and Series (arithmetic progression, geometric progression), Permutation & Combination, Probability, 3-D Geometry etc.

I don't know if such courses exist, but advanced level knowledge of the topics I mentioned will help you in GMAT :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Prep Suggestions, GMAT Classes and Quant Classes   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 17:58