Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparation for 600+ Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Preparation for 600+ Score [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 16:39
hi everyone!

my background and preparation so far
i'm aiming for a minimum score of 600, the more the better, of course.
therefore, i would like to hear your advice regarding the most efficient and effective preparation for the time until my exam.

i'm studying for the gmat for 2 weeks and there are 3 weeks left until my exam, full time preparation.
so far, i worked through all MGMAT quant books and did the additional practice questions from OG13 for each topic.
at the beginning of my preparation, i took a MGMAT CAT and scored 460 (Q33/V22), but i run out of time, so i missed ~5 questions in quant sections and skipped several verbal questions.

until now, i did not study for the verbal part at all, but concentrated on quant.

my study plan for the remaining weeks
i am planning to do a few hours of quant practice questions every day (around 30% of study time) and spend the rest of the day with working through the 3 MGMAT verbal books and additional OG verbal questions, related to every topic. it should take me around 2 weeks to work through the whole verbal stuff. in the last week, i'm planning to practice intensively both quant and verbal, especially questions i did wrong, and doing and reviewing CAT's.

at the end, i should have finished all MGMAT books, all OG 13 questions and several MGMAT and GMATPrep CAT's.

my questions
[*]are there any suggestions where i should focus on regarding my verbal preparation?
are there any topics where people can generally easier improve their score with?

[*]as i am running out of quant questions in OG13, can u recommend any good source? should i use the official quant review for additional practice, or can u recommend buying question packs for gmat prep, or maybe sth else?

[*]i noticed that i often have timing problems. are there any good articles or recommendations regarding timing strategies?

[*]what question level am i expected to solve (according to the MGMAT OG archer there is a seperation in easy, moderate, hard, devilish for OG13 questions) in average for a low 600's score and what percentage of these questions should i generally solve correctly?

many thanks for your help!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: Preparation for 600+ Score [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 12:11
Expert's post
Howdy! I think I might be able to help a little. :)

maxgermany wrote:
my questions
[*]are there any suggestions where i should focus on regarding my verbal preparation?
are there any topics where people can generally easier improve their score with?

Improving your Verbal score is a balance of learning the question types, becoming comfortable with breaking down arguments and identifying assumptions, and increasing your formal, academic grammar knowledge. Aside from working on each of these skills individually, I recommend that you add reading to your study plan. You should set aside and hour or so each day to just reading high quality material. This will expose you to proper grammar and style. You will learn new vocabulary and expose yourself to topics that you may not be familiar with. And you will improve your comprehension.

So choose some high quality sources, like The Economist, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times to read from. Read articles on topics you normally wouldn't. Read actively, which means you are searching for meaning, identifying main ideas, understanding the relationship of paragraphs, and seeking out the author's tone and motivations. Doing this each day will have a beneficial effect across the whole verbal section.

maxgermany wrote:
[*]as i am running out of quant questions in OG13, can u recommend any good source? should i use the official quant review for additional practice, or can u recommend buying question packs for gmat prep, or maybe sth else?

With only a short period left before the test, I would recommend going through OG13 again. Focus on improving on questions that you have already seen and use it as a way to refresh skills and concepts that you haven't seen before. Also, for Verbal practice you could always use LSAT reading materials, which tend to be similar to the GMAT.

maxgermany wrote:
[*]i noticed that i often have timing problems. are there any good articles or recommendations regarding timing strategies?

Pacing is crucial to your success. :) That's great that you want to focus on it. I would recommend setting a timer every time you answer questions from here on out. This will give you good practice. Also taking full practice tests will be another way to practice pacing, so definitely plan for a few more practice tests.

In terms of how to pace, I recommend the following the resources: http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/pacing-and ... -the-gmat/

maxgermany wrote:
[*]what question level am i expected to solve (according to the MGMAT OG archer there is a separation in easy, moderate, hard, devilish for OG13 questions) in average for a low 600's score and what percentage of these questions should i generally solve correctly?

Scoring is hard to predict. It is not just the level of questions you solve that matters. It also matters if you leave questions blank or skip questions. Ultimately it is an extremely complex process that determines your score, and it all depends on the CAT. To score 600 or higher, you will probably need to answer some of the harder and maybe even a devilish question correctly. But again this is a huge simplification of the process that goes into scoring.

I hope you find some of this helpful. :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Preparation for 600+ Score [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 13:31
hi kevin,

many thanks for your help!

yesterday i decided to take another MGMAT CAT to check my progress on quant section.
during the test, i felt very bad. questions seemed to be much harder than average og practice questions.
i had big timing problems, so i had to guess on several questions in a row again: i guessed questions 26-35 and missed the last 2 questions.
the result was a quant score of 35 - nearly no improvement compared to my first MGMAT CAT's quant score of 32.
however, when i compared both CAT's (quant only), i noticed:
1) average difficulty of questions increased from 520 to 640 (average right answers) and from 580 to 690 (average wrong answers)
2) from questions 5-23 i was constantly scoring around estimated 70%ile, of course it decreased rapidly when i started guessing (in my first CAT i was scoring at a max in 40-50%ile)

afterwards, depressed and demotivated, i took the first gmatprep test, as i heard MGMAT quant should be harder.
I decided to take the whole test and scored 510 (Q39/V22) - better then mgmat cat, but still very far from my target.
quant section was really easier, but again i had a very bad timing, so i had to guess last 10 quant questions.

can u recommend any time management strategies? i think i need to get a feeling for which questions to skip.
i often see a hard question and try solving it, which takes me too much time and at the end often ends up with a wrong answer as well.

thank u very much for your help!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 22

Re: Preparation for 600+ Score [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 15:13
Expert's post
maxgermany wrote:
hi kevin,
can u recommend any time management strategies? i think i need to get a feeling for which questions to skip.
i often see a hard question and try solving it, which takes me too much time and at the end often ends up with a wrong answer as well.

Glad that I was able to help a little. It is great that you are tackling the practice tests and working on your timing. I recommend looking at that link I sent to you about pacing. That will give a general idea of how to pace yourself. I would also recommend reading this article, which gives a great explanation of when to skip questions: http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ions-myth/

Ultimately, if you encounter a hard problem and you know in the first 30 seconds that you won't be able to solve it, skip the question. You need to have time at the end and give yourself a chance to answer all the questions at the end of the section. So it is better to skip one you know you won't be able to solve and save that time for questions you have a better chance of getting correct. Further, if you have spent 2+ minutes on a question you need to move on. At a certain point you have to cut your loses. The extra time you spent is only going to hurt you at the end, and if you were going to get it wrong, you might as well have spent less time on the question. So be ready to skip a question if you find yourself stuck and lost. You need to have time at the end so that you are not guessing on the last 5 - 10 questions.

I hope this helps. :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Preparation for 600+ Score [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 21:05
You can take GRE courses at Kapln or Manhttan GMAT. Also read and do all problems in the GMAT official guides books to get 700+...!
Re: Preparation for 600+ Score   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2014, 21:05