Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 11:03
New to the forum and to a lot of MBA info so apologies in advance.

I graduated from a top undergrad with a social sciences major and wound up in IT. My employer is training me on the job as an IT engineer but they realize I'll outgrow the place in a few years and will want to move on to something bigger and better.

I figured an MBA with a focus in IT and Ops would be the natural next step but I am worried that my lack of a formal background in the subjects might hurt me.

Another question is just how quantitative do the courses in these departments get? Would a course in business calculus prepare me for courses in analytics and modeling or do they expect everyone in those courses to have majored in engineering?

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8199 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 07:39
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club!

The MBA is about practical applications on the most part. There is no such thing as MBA with focus on XXX. You choose the focus you want while in program. You can take highly technical classes or you can take finance or marketing courses. You have set of electives to take - you decide what they are. So your background won't matter a whole lot since you won't be learning a whole lot of programming besides VBA/Excel programming and modeling.

The best you can do is get as much experience as you can and show as much maturity and leadership as you can - basically, do your job and excel in everything... that helps a lot with admission, career, and job afterwards.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 12:15
Appreciate the response.

I guess the question I was trying to get at was this: Just how technical are these technical MBA courses? If I wanted to take advanced courses in Operations and IT in an MBA program, what sort of background would best prepare me?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8199 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 18:32
Expert's post
To take the advanced courses in whatever, you will first be required to take basic courses in whatever, and those courses will prepare you for whatever.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Preparation for an MBA in IT/Ops   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2014, 18:32