Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparation strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Preparation strategy [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 18:09
I started my preparation some 2 weeks back . Took the first diagnostic test (420) . Skimmed through theQuants from OG . Noted down my weak areas

1)DS-
2)SC-
3)CR-

What should be the best strategy and resource to raise my scores in these areas. I have already taken the test date as i thought if i dont take it i am never going to put the time and hard work it requires . Iam aiming for a decent 690+ score and ready to work 4 hrs daily and 8hrs on weekend with my full time job.

Would appreciate any inputs from the previous test takers and people who are going to give the test in near future and who are half way through thier preparation stage . Just gave the GMATPrep test 2 (520). I have 10 weeks left before the test day . and i need some real good tips from all the gurus out there to channelise my effort and do a focussed study ...

Would it be helpful to take up a classroom course from PrincetonReview, Kaplan or ManhattanGMAT or is it a waste of money(average 1500$).
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Preparation strategy [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2008, 20:52
hi there,

Here is my input

do these action items:
1) OG 11
2) Participate in forums
3) Create a error log (Very important in learning about silly mistake you make and remember to correct them)
4) My 2 cents: Kaplan study is for beginners targetting 500+ . Creating a study plan and sticking to it would help you attain your goal and not waste hard earned money on kaplan courses.

My 2 cents..

Target +700
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get.. :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager
Followers: 2

Re: Preparation strategy [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 07:44
It's good to see that you've already locked in your date. With the definite test date, I think you would set your goal higher and stay in track. I am still in need of scheduling the exact date.

Since you've already taken the test, you know where you stand. It's good to see that you know your weaknesses.

I'm not a GMAT guru by all means. I still haven't taken the exam but I have been preparing for it since beginning of September. I started off with Kaplan course with 10weeks program and I have positive and negative opinions about it. I think taking the 10 week course dragged my study too long.

I'll give you some feedback on Kaplan since you're considering the option. I enjoy the materials provided from Kaplan. although the classroom is for very basic fundamentals and strategies, you can learn a lot from 9 provided online tests, 1000s of questions and following the schedule. I have yet to finish all of the questions and I find it better to practice more than just read about the strategies. As I am stronger in math (BY FAR) compared to verbal, I was literally bored for half the program (math classes). They do alternate topics from session to session.

I finally have a good habit of studying. It was definitely hard to work full time and study at night. i would suggest make a good habit and practice! Don't feel like you're too strong in one area and forget to study! it will bite you in the butt!
Intern
Intern

Re: Preparation strategy [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 13:58
hiway320,

So did the kaplan course helped you increases your Quants . What was your quants when you started and how much the Kaplan classromm course helped you in getting your score
Re: Preparation strategy   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2008, 13:58