Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Preparation strategy? Tutoring? Need expert advice!! [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Slywork wrote:

PREPARATION STRATEGY???

- How to prepare to new SC questions? Where there are no 2/3 split, different wording of answer choices and extra emphasis on meaning? question banks? Theory?
Check out this article: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/05 ... furiously/
It discusses the importance of meaning based questions in SC.

- Timing strategy. Improving timing (less time, and thus more mistakes, before 32 question but no randdom click after 33). Does it helps?
For timing strategies, check: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... for-field/
It discusses why skipping an occasional question is better than guessing on 5 questions at the end.

- RC? Good book or other material? How to improve timing?
Veritas has a great RC book with GMAT-like practice passages from various topics. Also, it discusses strategies you can use to handle the questions and minimize the time spent.

- Tutoring? Does it useful on this stage? if yes advice me few?
I don't think you need anything other than practice for Quant. You might want to take a package of a few hrs with a tutor for Verbal to go through your weak areas. Thereafter, it will be all about practice.

- What are others possible areas of improvement?
- Is it realistic to improve score from 34 to 38 in one month? What is average number of mistakes to get 37-38 score? What can be a used as realistic benchmarking, besides GMAT prep, there i have 44 score)

It is. Number of mistakes is just one input. The level of questions answered correctly/incorrectly is a big factor too. The most realistic benchmark is the GMAT prep test. Unfortunately, there aren't many GMAT prep tests available.

Thanks a lot of detailed answers!!!!!!!!

Thanks for advice.
1. Regarding Meaning. The main problem for me is not the meaning itself but rather structure of answer choices which is in real exam differs from those in question banks. Answer choices in Real exam worded completely different from the original A-Choice. And it makes me to spend a lot of time, especially when i trained to mechanical POE - just spotting gramatical errors. I guess GMAC wants to fight such mechanical approach, but new type of question definitely can be solved with the speed of old ones (bellow 1 min). To deal with this you need good and relevant question bank, but i still have not found it. Only Brutal SC 100 looks like real exam questions, all others are too far away from reality.

2. Timing. Thanks, interesting strategy. One question - if i found hard passage, for an example biology which I hate, what is better to do? Skip the whole passage and save time or try to deal with it? There is a penalty for few errors in the row from one side, but form the other - RC is most time consuming, skiping other type of question will not give enough saved time.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Dear Slywork,

General Strategy: I would recommend that you review the sources that you have been practicing. In addition, you purchase the additional question bank from GMAC ($25). You can make this purchase from the GMATPrep software. I do believe that you have the right fundamentals and that your scoring is impacted more by your headache than by your ability.

Timing and other Strategies: Attend this Strategy Session. The next session is this weekend. In this session we talk about timing strategies, define metrics that you should track both during and after the mocks.

Specific Sections:

Reading Comprehension: Are you following the reading strategies as outlined in the e-GMAT course and have you practiced all the passages from there. I believe that there is a problem with comprehension. Make sure that you have practiced reading the e-GMAT passages and OG questions using the reading strategies.

Sentence Correction: We have over 100 meaning based questions. Have you completed the UGE and the meaning based "in depth" series. Again, have you been following eGMAT's 3 step process.

A 4 point improvement is very much possible.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

1. General strategy. I have already purchased and solve all the question for Q pack 1, it is too easy and don't look like real exam question. That disappointed me, cause i hoped that this is fresh stuff from GMAC is should be as close to real exam as possible, but SC questions there are totally obsolete. The real question is different - answer choice always differently worded from original A-choice, meaning emphasis 2-3 grammatically correct answer with different meaning.

2. SC. I found E-gmat extremely useful. Especially Significance of Meaning. Done all levels + In-Depth level. Here my results
Sentence Correction Diagnostic Test - 90
Preview Application File - 100
Level 1 Exercise - Level 1 Qualifying Exercise - 80
Level 2 Exercise - Level 2 Qualifying Exercise - 77
Level 3 Exercise - Leve 3 Qualifying Exercise - 90
Change Meaning - Application File 1 - 88
Change Meaning - Application File 2 - 89

But few negative comments abou E-Gmat
- All topics are too narrow and omit crucial information, thus I needed extensive support form some grammar book for each topic.
- Practice files are too theoretical, the link with material is strong, but for practicing your need more real questions
- Meaning part is the best among all i have ever seen, but this is definitely not enough. You approach of 5 way how GMAC can distort meaning is good, but it looks like in the real exam GMAC use much more than 5 ways. You strategy good for solving meaning question form SC_1000 or OG but to narrow for real exam.

But in real exam what i have noticed
- Different wording of all answer choices - there is no more 2-3 split
- no more easy to spot errors like between-among, like-as, subject-verb agreements that make you POE fast
- To much playing with preposition, especially in short questions
- Dirty tricks to distract your attention form real mistake
- up 2-3 grammatically correct version all with different meaning
- unclear situations - how to understand what to do - change ridicules, on your opinion, original meaning or stick to original meaning

RC
Just have finished the theory part in E-gmat. Starting Application files. Will try to improve my timing using your strategy.

Timing
Tanks. Try to visit this session
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

In order to improve your speed I will suggest you to start practicing with time.

A good resource for that is grockit.com

Also, regarding improving your SC... i will suggest you to watch Thursdays with RON!

I have written a post regarding how to start GMAT Prep. You might find some useful information in that:
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Am not sure about the tutor thing for Verbal. If you are looking for online tutor then one of my friend can help you out in that. You can check her post on
starting-my-owngmat-coaching-classes-bangalore-132211.html?fl=similar

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi,

In order to improve your speed I will suggest you to start practicing with time.

A good resource for that is grockit.com

Also, regarding improving your SC... i will suggest you to watch Thursdays with RON!

I have written a post regarding how to start GMAT Prep. You might find some useful information in that:
how-to-start-gmat-preperations-136048.html

Am not sure about the tutor thing for Verbal. If you are looking for online tutor then one of my friend can help you out in that. You can check her post on
starting-my-owngmat-coaching-classes-bangalore-132211.html?fl=similar

Hope it helps!

hi
Thanks for adivce

Yes, Grockit is good, but its question bank is based on reworded OG or other resources, after a while you can recall questions and this distort results.
But in general Grockit is good resource, especially with its innovative statistics which marks your weak and strong areas.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Slywork wrote:
2. Timing. Thanks, interesting strategy. One question - if i found hard passage, for an example biology which I hate, what is better to do? Skip the whole passage and save time or try to deal with it? There is a penalty for few errors in the row from one side, but form the other - RC is most time consuming, skiping other type of question will not give enough saved time.

Thanks.

In my opinion, do not skip questions because you dislike the area of study. Skip only when you find those particular questions hard. It is possible that the biology passage you get is really easy and your 4 incorrect answers put you on a back foot. It might take you a long time to recover. If you know that you dislike biology passages, make extra efforts right now to work through lots of such passages. Read up the bio sections of science journals. Make every effort to cover all your bases before the test. The test will possibly throw some surprises to drag you down. Don't intentionally plan to drag yourself down too.
GMAT Club Bot