Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1622 [0], given: 249

Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 05:33
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (02:26) correct 60% (01:16) wrong based on 62 sessions
Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive increase in the funding of science for military use, such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical to their success in the event of a war.
(A) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical
(B) for the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and for new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical
(C) like the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology to be critical
(D) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology as critical

(E) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology were critical

OA after some postings

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 07:09
I struggled between A and D, I choose A. Such as should be used to mean for example......further it should be advances in technology.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 05:50
daagh wrote:
Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive increase in the funding of science for military use, such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical to their success in the event of a war.
(A) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical
(B) for the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and for new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical
(C) like the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology to be critical
(D) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology as critical

(E) such as the Manhattan Atomic Bomb project, advanced radar technology and new initiatives in rocket propulsion, for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology were critical

OA after some postings

Two things to be noted here.
1) Use "such as" when introducing examples.
2) Idiom: Consider X Y.

IMO A
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:33
daagh wrote:

OA after some postings

A is the Right answer.
This particular question deals seems to be an idiom question .
Consider X Y is the correct idiom which helps us to get rid of C,D,E.
Now A is better as the idiom 'Such as' is used for examples which means that the funding is available for either or all the mentioned elements.
However says that funding wud be available for grp1 (Manhattan Atomic Bomb project + advanced radar technology) and grp2(new initiatives in rocket propulsion)

This time , its my time .

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 08:19
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 17:39
I picked "A"

Is usage of "for" common on GMAT? (as in " for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical ...." ).
Does it have the same meaning as "because"? Does it also refer to the whole previous sentence?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 9

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 19:59
Considered as, considered were, or considered to be is wrong

A

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:49
A. :) Sorry I am late.

considered _ correct idiom.
for is used instead of because.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 21:23
idiom issue in C,D ;hence they are out
B- for is incorrect.sentence is trying to give example of investment .such as is preferrable

we left with A and E
A is seems good E-were is in appropriate in this context
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 4

Re: Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS

This question seems to be big, which normally scares me off, but I tackled it in a mere 1:46 minutes. Okay, so the way this could be seen is:

Upon looking at the question, one could notice that the question is having words such as, "Like" and "Such as". Hence, immediately getting in the mode of elimination, we can strike off options B and C

Left with the options that have "Such as", one could notice that the sentences have "consider" in it (I like the sentence with consider as it makes the eliminations faster). Such is the case with A, D and E.

General rule: "Consider" is an idiom that is not followed by as, to, or were

Therefore, keeping this rule in mind, we can directly eliminate options D and E. Hence the answer Choice A is correct

Smiles and Kudos are free.. Don't think before giving :)

A Ship in port is safe but that is not what Ships are built for !

Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Re: Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 12:45
either my brain has stopped working or this question itself is too tough to comprehend .....I am totally lost
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Re: Preparations for the Second World War [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 13:32
Fijisurf wrote:
I picked "A"

Is usage of "for" common on GMAT? (as in " for, war-prone countries considered advances in technology critical ...." ).
Does it have the same meaning as "because"? Does it also refer to the whole previous sentence?

same question, the placement of ",for , " is very awkward
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 08:39
Expert's post
‘For’ is a preposition as well as a co-ordination conjunction – remember the fanboys co-ordination conjunctions? The f stands for – for-. It does mean because but with a difference. ‘Because’ is a subordinating conjunction, and hence can be used to start dependent clauses. For- however, can connect two ICS. ‘For’ as a preposition will always appear before a noun or noun phrase

The use of -for- as a coordinator is a legitimate usage.

Re: Preparations for the Second World War witnessed a massive   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 08:39