Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparing for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Preparing for GMAT [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 14:20
Hi everyone,

I will be taking the GMAT towards the end of November and I want to spend the next 4-5 months preparing for it. I will begin July 1st. Here is a list of the books I have purchased:

Kaplan Gmat 800, 2006-2007
Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT with DVD, 2007 (I ordered it online. I will be receiving it in 2 weeks)
Manhattan GMAT Prep (7 Books)
OG 11th Edition
OG Verbal
OG Quantitative

I plan to study atleast 4 hours during the week and 16 hours during the weekend.

Are there any other books I should purchase? My goal is to get atleast a 700 on the GMAT. Should I add more hours to my studying schedule?

Thanks guys :-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 15:00
You wont need more books.

The amount of time you need, no one can tell you.

It depends on where you are now, where you want to go, and what score you would settle for vs what you would aim for.

On average, I would say that most people who score in the 700's seem to take anywhere from 150-200 hours of study to do it BUT.....

That being said.... I know people who score 780 without studying. I know one guy who studied on a TRAIN RIDE to the thing and got a 720. I know others who studied for months on end and couldn't break 600. I went from 600 to 730, but it took me from Feb to June, 4 months, with at least 20-25 hours a week. All told, I'm confident I put in over 350 hours, and may very well have put in over 400. Counting practice exams, add 72 more hours to my total. There's a post somewhere where I actually caculated it. My study partner put in even more than me, probably 30 hours a week average - pushing 500 hours of study - he went from 600 to 680. For some lucky few, the GMAT is a "one week hassle". For others, it's a "two month pain", for others, its a "five month long ulcer" and for some, it takes a year. I have one friend for whom it took two years to get to 640 from the mid 400's.

In short, you may find that you are 50 points away from your target score. You may find that you are 100. Or maybe 200 points away. You may be 50 hours away from your score, you maybe 5. You may be 500 hours away.

Study for 2-3 days, just to "sharpen" the mind and take a practice exam from Kaplan or Princeton or someone else (dont do GMATPrep yets). Evaluate yourself. How far are you from your goal? Do you have a goal?

As you begin this journey (and it is a journey) remember that the GMAT is a marathon, not a sprint.

Post your study plan here, people can critique.

Number one mistake people make:

1. Look at problem
2. Confusion
3. Try to solve
4. Get it right
5. Move on to next problem as if somehow they magically now understand the problem because they got it right.

Number two mistake people make:

1. Look at problem
2. No idea how to do it
3. Try anyway
4. Give up and look how they solved it
5. Say "Oh I see... ok"
6. Move on

Looking at their solutions for a minute wont teach you what you dont get. Don't make this mistake either.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2006, 20:09
That's quite a collection of books! I think you'll be fine with that list.

Rhyme gave you great advice!
  [#permalink] 25 Jun 2006, 20:09