Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 10:23
Hi guys,

I've been planning my GMAT prep for the next two months and was hoping for some advice. I've purchased the Manhattan GMAT books for Verbal (I am strong with Quant) and the Knewton course. I was wondering if anyone had any prep advice preparing with both sets of materials. When I purchased all of this, a long time ago, I had figured that it'd be a good idea to use two sets of resources. Two looks at something. I'm curious on your take if their strategies diverge a lot OR if there is any use in doing this?

Thank you for helping me organize my preparation!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 10:26
DYNAMITE wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been planning my GMAT prep for the next two months and was hoping for some advice. I've purchased the Manhattan GMAT books for Verbal (I am strong with Quant) and the Knewton course. I was wondering if anyone had any prep advice preparing with both sets of materials. When I purchased all of this, a long time ago, I had figured that it'd be a good idea to use two sets of resources. Two looks at something. I'm curious on your take if their strategies diverge a lot OR if there is any use in doing this?

Thank you for helping me organize my preparation!

Depends on how strong you are in verbal. With the exception of the Sentence Correction book, the other two Manhattan Books are not that great. If you have a decent understanding of grammar I would just jump right in to the Knewton course.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 17:30
I used both of these materials.

Knewton really made the difference for me.

For verbal, Knewton is amazing. MGMAT verbal books are good as well (esp sentence correction). However, it goes into so much detail that it can sometimes be overkill imo.

If you watch all of the Knewton videos, lessons, tests, etc. you're going to find it difficult to ALSO go through all the MGMAT guides unless you have several months at your disposal. I would recommend using them as supplement material for things you want more details about.

For quant, Knewton was also very good. It bumped me from a 44 to a 47. It doesn't cover the more complex material in nearly as much detail as MGMAT. However, it does cover the fundamental material with great clarity. So again, I would recommend using MGMAT as supplementary material.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 18:08
I am using the same strategy of Knewton+MGMAT Guides and agree with the above post that it is difficult to complete the guides simultaneously as Knewton's homeworks, quizzes, extra focus classes are time consuming. I plan on studying until July/early August and then attempt GMAT so I have time to practice all the guides & OG in detail, and revise the Knewton classes again. Of course, I need to get serious and step up my preparation also (blame my laziness and the job !!).

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 21:42
Expert's post
I have seen a few references to this approach as well and it is good but there is a risk that you will do poorly with both materials requiring full attention and you not being able to dedicate that.

Since you have a course that is taught on a timeline, I would stick with that and then use the relevant MGMAT guides to supplement if you feel uncertain/easy about any of the subjects.

At the same time kudos for the effort!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Preparing for GMAT with Knewton Class & Manhattan Guides   [#permalink] 13 May 2011, 21:42