Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Apr 2015, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 02:14
Works now :)

Marcab wrote:

Prepositional Phrases Clarified

Subject never resides in prepositional phrase, EXCEPT when quantity is expressed.

Source: MGMAT, e-GMAT and Jamboree

According to the author of www.chompchomp.com/terms/prepositionalphrase.htm, whose content you've referred to as well (is this a correct sentence :) )

Remember that a prepositional phrase will never contain the subject of a sentence.

Now

The box of nails, which is black in color, is kept on the table.

Isn't the subject, 'The box of nails' ?

regards,
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 414

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 02:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 35

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2014, 20:37
Why E is wrong?

Is "whatever your background" in D correct? Shouldn't it be "whatever is your background".

Marcab wrote:
Sinner1706 wrote:
Marcab wrote:

After going through several sources, I made some points that I would like to share with everyone.
First of all, before even advancing, I shall ask a question.
His collections of music IS/ARE good.
What is correct here?

More example to clear the doubt. (The subject is green in color.)
1) Seven of the eleven medals, which were all gold, were won by Jamaican sprinters.
2) Most of the bananas have been bought from the nearby market.
3) A number of supporters of the the campaign have extended their support for Democratic Party.
4) THE number of birds migrating to the Marina Beach is increasing year by year.

So remember one thing, if any quantity word precedes the prepositional phrase, then your subject will reside in the prepositional phrase.
By the way, the answer to the question at the top is "IS".

Source: MGMAT, e-GMAT and Jamboree

Hi Marcab,

In reference to the above highlighted sentences, please answer the below question.

Menlo University‘s range of graduate programmes have been developed to fulfil your needs whether you intend to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, and whatever your background.

A. have been developed to fulfil your needs whether you intend to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, and whatever

B. has been developed to fulfil your needs if you intend to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, or whatever

C. have been developed to fulfil your needs whether you intend to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, and whatever

D. has been developed to fulfil your needs whether you intend to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, and whatever

E. has been developed to fulfil your needs whether one intends to pursue a career in industry, business, government, NGOs or academia, or whatever

Isnt Range a Quantity Word as Collection.

In view of the above can you provide a ball park list of Quantity Words.

TIA.

Actually all that I have for quantity words is SANAM pronouns. If you have MGMAT SC Bible then probably you know what I am talking about, if not then do let me know.
Regarding this question, if this question had appeared in the exam, I would have chosen D and clicked on confirmed.

I don't need Kudos, please just correct me if I am wrong.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2014, 09:28
Marcab wrote:

After going through several sources, I made some points that I would like to share with everyone.
First of all, before even advancing, I shall ask a question.
His collections of music IS/ARE good.
By the way, the answer to the question at the top is "IS".

I think this post is extremely misleading....(In all possibility due to no fault of you own)...
I am surprised that people and moderators of this great site couldn't catch this extremely faulty exercise you provided for all of us...

"His collections of music are good" would be the right answer...
Now the link which you have given as your source.. the question there says that..

Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduction - on compact discs, digital audiotapes, or videodiscs - audiophiles can accumulate vast collections of //music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging //the sound quality.

Now since here the right answer is it and not them , you generalized a very very specific scenario...
The reason it is correct here is because you cannot transfer collections from one format to other but you transfer music.
So the pronoun it refers to music because that is what the author is transferring......

Your post gave me nightmares for 2 straight days before this very simple piece of logic struck me :D
Re: Prepositional Phrases Clarified After going through several   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2014, 09:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ]