Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 565 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (02:37) correct 59% (01:38) wrong based on 194 sessions
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Press Secretory: Our critics claim [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 21:20
A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. Logical error. Does not strengthen the argument. Just because canceling the projects was not the only option to be vindictive, does not mean that the action itself was not vindictive.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party. Most cancelled projects were in opposition districts (existing premise), but most of the projects identified as wasteful were also in opposition districts (this choice). This combination strengthens the argument. Correct.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future. Out of scope. Incorrect.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties. Weakens the argument, rather than strengthen it. Incorrect.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects. Weakens the argument, rather than strengthen it. Incorrect.

Thanks for sharing.

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 9

Re: Press Secretory: Our critics claim [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 01:33
Premise of the argument: "all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors."

Conclusion of the argument: "So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics."

In the assumption questions, the conclusion follows given the premise and the unstated assumption. In such questions, the premise is not complete. It needs something more which is the assumption for the conclusion to logically follow. In the above question the premise says that all the cancelled projects were wasteful. Choice B completes that by saying that all the wasteful projects were indeed cancelled and were not based on partisan politics. Only then the conclusion that the decision was based on sound budgetary policy follows.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 62

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 09:21
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2052 [1] , given: 677

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.

B is clearly the answer. The other options go in other directions respect the argument at stake ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 62

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:10
Expert's post
Oh my my...
Got it now. This is the third time today that I tackled this question. I mean how can I be so stupid.
Don't know why was I not able to solve this one.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2075 [2] , given: 675

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:

Lets talk numbers!
Lets assume,
No of wasteful project districts=200
President's party districts=110
Opposition districts=90
Now lets say that the president cancelled 100 projects with 90 districts belonging to opposition and 10 of his own (so that it becomes 90%)
Now clearly the president is NOT fair isnt it?
That is exactly what B says!

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2075 [1] , given: 675

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Oh my my...
Got it now. This is the third time today that I tackled this question. I mean how can I be so stupid.

whre is my kudos :lol:

SV disagreement :P

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Oh my my...

whre is my kudos :lol:

SV disagreement :P

ehi do you want to know one thing ?? compliments you are the first person on my black list. be happy for this :lol:

PS: typo on S in kudo :-D

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 40

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:16
I chose B), doesn't B basically restate what the excerpt is stating?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 21:58
AccipiterQ wrote:
I chose B), doesn't B basically restate what the excerpt is stating?

No it doesn't. The argument says that all projects those were cancelled had been identified as wasteful. There is a gap in the argument. What about the projects those were not cancelled, even though, they were wasteful. And adding to it, if all of them were in districts controlled by President parties, this would have weaken the argument. Choice "B" fills this gap by explaining that projects identified as wasteful were not mostly from President's party.

Does it make sense?

Consider Kodus, if you find explanation useful. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 09:18
Marcab wrote:

Conclusion : President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
Evidence: the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts
Counter Evidence : all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors.

Assumption:
1) Wasteful means they are not sound budgetory projects.
2) Cancelled the projects on sound budgetary policy ground, but cancelled more Opposition parties district project than his own distircts.

So
A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. - Irrelevant
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party. - Correct. Negating maks the conclusion question
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future. - Irrelevant
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties. - Expensive is not a matter of consideration here
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects. - irrelevant

I made wrong choice D)

-Press kudos if this helped
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 09:18