Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 18:21
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1420
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1303 [3] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2012, 05:39
3
This post received
KUDOS
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:40) correct 55% (02:03) wrong based on 622 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Edge of Extinction
Joined: 09 Sep 2012
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

Re: Press Secretory: Our critics claim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2012, 21:20
A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. Logical error. Does not strengthen the argument. Just because canceling the projects was not the only option to be vindictive, does not mean that the action itself was not vindictive.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party. Most cancelled projects were in opposition districts (existing premise), but most of the projects identified as wasteful were also in opposition districts (this choice). This combination strengthens the argument. Correct.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future. Out of scope. Incorrect.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties. Weakens the argument, rather than strengthen it. Incorrect.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects. Weakens the argument, rather than strengthen it. Incorrect.

Thanks for sharing.
_________________

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 447
Location: India
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 385 [0], given: 14

Re: Press Secretory: Our critics claim [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2012, 01:33
Premise of the argument: "all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors."

Conclusion of the argument: "So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics."

In the assumption questions, the conclusion follows given the premise and the unstated assumption. In such questions, the premise is not complete. It needs something more which is the assumption for the conclusion to logically follow. In the above question the premise says that all the cancelled projects were wasteful. Choice B completes that by saying that all the wasteful projects were indeed cancelled and were not based on partisan politics. Only then the conclusion that the decision was based on sound budgetary policy follows.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Classroom and Online Coaching

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1420
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1303 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 09:21
2 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3033
Followers: 768

Kudos [?]: 6344 [2] , given: 991

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 09:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.



B is clearly the answer. The other options go in other directions respect the argument at stake ;)
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1420
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1303 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Oh my my...
Got it now. This is the third time today that I tackled this question. I mean how can I be so stupid.
Don't know why was I not able to solve this one.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

2 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3033
Followers: 768

Kudos [?]: 6344 [2] , given: 991

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3545
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 11498 [3] , given: 1858

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:15
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.


Lets talk numbers!
Lets assume,
No of wasteful project districts=200
President's party districts=110
Opposition districts=90
Now lets say that the president cancelled 100 projects with 90 districts belonging to opposition and 10 of his own (so that it becomes 90%)
Now clearly the president is NOT fair isnt it?
That is exactly what B says!
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3545
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 11498 [1] , given: 1858

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Oh my my...
Got it now. This is the third time today that I tackled this question. I mean how can I be so stupid.
Don't know why was I not able to solve this one.

whre is my kudos :lol:

SV disagreement :P
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3033
Followers: 768

Kudos [?]: 6344 [1] , given: 991

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2013, 10:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Oh my my...
Got it now. This is the third time today that I tackled this question. I mean how can I be so stupid.
Don't know why was I not able to solve this one.

whre is my kudos :lol:

SV disagreement :P


ehi do you want to know one thing ?? compliments you are the first person on my black list. be happy for this :lol:

PS: typo on S in kudo :-D
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2013
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 40

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 09:16
I chose B), doesn't B basically restate what the excerpt is stating?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Posts: 25
Location: India
Schools: IIM-L '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 24

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2013, 21:58
AccipiterQ wrote:
I chose B), doesn't B basically restate what the excerpt is stating?

No it doesn't. The argument says that all projects those were cancelled had been identified as wasteful. There is a gap in the argument. What about the projects those were not cancelled, even though, they were wasteful. And adding to it, if all of them were in districts controlled by President parties, this would have weaken the argument. Choice "B" fills this gap by explaining that projects identified as wasteful were not mostly from President's party.

Does it make sense?

Consider Kodus, if you find explanation useful. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 190
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2014, 09:18
Marcab wrote:
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.



Conclusion : President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
Evidence: the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts
Counter Evidence : all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors.

Assumption:
1) Wasteful means they are not sound budgetory projects.
2) Cancelled the projects on sound budgetary policy ground, but cancelled more Opposition parties district project than his own distircts.

So
A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. - Irrelevant
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party. - Correct. Negating maks the conclusion question
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future. - Irrelevant
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties. - Expensive is not a matter of consideration here
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects. - irrelevant

I made wrong choice D)

-Press kudos if this helped
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2014
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2015, 22:45
I'm Still not able to get this answer can some one help please. I have my Gmat exam tomorrow, just not able to deal with difficult level CR questions.

Thanks
Laxmi
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 66
Concentration: Marketing, Economics
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GRE 1: 304 Q156 V148
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 22:16
If most of the wasteful projects are in opposition districts then it is natural that most of the projects cancelled would be from opposition districts. On the other hand, if most of the wasteful projects are in opposition districts but president cancelled most of the projects of his party’s district then it would be partisan.
So, ans would be B.
_________________

Getting kudos is encouraging.
Giving kudos is a way of saying thanks
. :-D

Hasan Mahmud

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2015
Posts: 56
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 02:01
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.


There are two conclusions here

C1.Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.

C2.So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

What I understand is C2 is the press secretary's conclusion

Quote:
Option B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party
. is the restatement of premise
Quote:
''the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts''.


I still wonder how B can be the answer!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2015
Posts: 90
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 74

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 06:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
Tricky question !! I spent a lot of time trying to figure out authors assumption till i realized that the question is not asking authors assumption.

We need to find - assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?
Note it is NOT asking authors assumption.

Press secretary Conclusion: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties

So B.

No doubt we get confused as to why B when its already mentioned in the passage.

Hope this helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 384
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 471

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 22:08
Marcab wrote:
Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.


Below explanation of Ron helps to someone who get confused to this question like me!

The point is that the 90% statistic would represent a possible bias, unless 90% of all the wasteful projects were in those districts. I.e., if the cancellation of those projects were at all out of proportion with their presence in those districts, then an accusation of bias would be justified.
If that's too confusing, then try negating (B).
If you negate that premise, you get "Most of the wasteful projects were in the president's districts". If that's true, then the fact that 90% of the cancelled projects were in opposition districts"”which didn't even contain most of the wasteful projects"”would very clearly demonstrate a political bias, thus destroying the argument.
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 656
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 177 [1] , given: 36

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 00:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer is B
We have to find assumptions
Assumption is a premise that is not written explicitly.
If we add assumption to the argument our argument will become fool proof and devoid of criticism.

lets write the argument is simplest form first

Premise 1) Critics claims president is punishing opposition by cancelling project in their cities
Premise 2) Critics claims 90 % projects in opposition cities were cancelled
Premise 3) Independent auditor say projects were cancelled because they were wasteful

Conclusion ) President is saving money and not punishing opponents by cancelling MOST of the projects. <==== Now this is the line that the answer should defend or strengthen at any cost. If this line can be shown to be false then argument fails. You have to choose a answer that must protect, defend, save this line at any cost. THIS LINE IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH AND NO DOUBT SHOULD EVER FALL ON IT .. EVER !!!!!

Now think what will the opponent will you say to weaken the conclusion. He will probably say :- Yeah !! President .. !! are you saving money ? you save money by cancelling most of the projects in my city.. IF this is how you save money why don't you cancel most project in your city ?? huh.. lets be fair president.. I dare you to cancel most of project in your city.

bamm.. now the opposition has challenged the conclusion. now The president have to quickly save the conclusion otherwise the argument will wall apart


President saves the argument by saying:- "But I don't have most of the project in my city. ha ha .. how can i eat 40 bananas if i have only 1 banana. My city does not have most of the projects. So i cannot cancel most of the projects in my city"

Now the critic is speechless. He cannot attack the president anymore by saying that most of the projects that are being cancelled are in his city are to punish him.
If the number of projects was equal in critics city and presidents city and the president only cancelled critics project, then one can say president is clearly punishing the opponent. But this is not the case.

so this is what the option B does
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
in other words
The presidents city has either no or less projects.

NOW THE ARGUMENT IS SAFE AND THUS (B) IS THE ANSWER

THIS TECHNIQUE IS CALLED A DEFENDER ASSUMPTION. YOU CAN READ MORE ABOUT IT POWERSCORE CR BIBLE

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties. They offer as evidence the fact that 90 percent of the projects canceled were in such districts. But all of the canceled projects had been identified as wasteful in a report written by respected nonpartisan auditors. So the President’s choice was clearly motivated by sound budgetary policy, not partisan politics.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?

A. Canceling highway projects was not the only way for the President to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties.
B. The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
C. The number of projects canceled was a significant proportion of all the highway projects that were to be undertaken by the government in the near future.
D. The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
E. Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016.


Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 31 Aug 2016, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 16
Location: Canada
Schools: HBS '18
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 33

Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 15:35
hwgmat2015 wrote:
Tricky question !! I spent a lot of time trying to figure out authors assumption till i realized that the question is not asking authors assumption.

We need to find - assumption on which the press secretary’s argument depends?
Note it is NOT asking authors assumption.

Press secretary Conclusion: Our critics claim that the President’s recent highway project cancellations demonstrate a vindictive desire to punish legislative districts controlled by opposition parties

So B.

No doubt we get confused as to why B when its already mentioned in the passage.

Hope this helps :)


You nailed it. I spent probably an hour trying to figure this question out but your explanation cleared it out for me. It just shows how important it is to restate every word in the conclusion. Thank you and Kudos.
Re: Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2016, 15:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Media Secretary: Opponents of our government claim that the vaivish1723 3 31 May 2009, 20:40
Experts publish their posts in the topic Criticism that the press panders to public sentiment walker 12 20 Mar 2008, 12:43
Criticism that the press panders to public sentiment eyunni 1 01 Oct 2007, 11:24
1 Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s JAE WOO 3 18 Jun 2007, 03:57
Criticism that the press panders to public sentiment vineetgupta 12 22 Mar 2007, 07:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Press Secretary: Our critics claim that the President s

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.