Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eval

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eval [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 11:12
Hi..

I started the whole journey last year and then decided I am better off waiting for one more year before starting Business school and here I am!

Background: Born in small village in India. Moved to Nepal when I was a yr old. Did all my schooling in Nepal. I come from a very poor family and no one is educated so me completing high school was a big deal. (My dad’s studied the highest-8th grade). When I was starting my high school, dad started his own business and wanted me to be part of it. I helped him out for 2 yrs and then decided I need to study more. I wanted to get at least a college degree. Apart from working for my dad I used to work in small software firm in Nepal (ITNTI) as an administrative assistant. This is where I was introduced to computers and was fascinated by it. I decided I wanted to study further in computers but my family wanted me to look after the family business. I fought hard and when my dad didn’t give in, I pretty much got kicked out of the house. I got my visa, had saved enough money for my first semester and started my college. Supported myself throughout collge. In my second yr. In college I went to China with my dad for a major expansion of his business. He has moved from selling on the streets with me to managing 6 stores and an office in China.

Education and Work Experience: Graduated with a 3.94 GPA from State University(Minnesota) at age of 20. Worked throughout the college and have held more than 15 jobs during college life. Got my internship at a big law firm and thus a full time job. Got promoted once within these 2 yrs(usual 5 yrs) and got interested in Business side of techonology. After getting tired to find something that would fit my professional needs, I decided to sell everything in MN and move to NYC. Now I work at Wall St in a QA dept. but really close to the Sales team and going to be joining the business side soon. 4.5 yrs of work experience before I get in the school.

Community Involvement: PLENTY! From President to Social chair of various org group. Involved in couple of Non profit.. Have been on Executive board etc.

Why I want my MBA or what do I want from my MBA?

I want to do my MBA in International Business. I believe Techonology is the support function for business but not business itself. Hence, the business side of Technology is what excites me!! Intl Business Mgmt with Technology focus.

GMAT: Q50, V40 - 740
Work Exp : 4.5 yrs full time

Target schools: Haas, UCLA, and may be eveennnn Stanford.. Can you help me add to this list. Georgetown seems to be a good fit when I think of In't Business and Management..

Am I aiming too high?? My safety schools and my weaknesses that I would need to address the most?

Thanks again

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eva [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 07:33
bewakoof wrote:
In college I went to China with my dad for a major expansion of his business. He has moved from selling on the streets with me to managing 6 stores and an office in China.

My question is off topic. It is just interesting how you and your father set up your retailing business in China. It is an extremely difficult thing to do for foreigners even now, even in Beijing and Shanghai it is impossible for mere mortals. I know tens of people interested in doing relail in China on a small scale, and it would be nice to know the general mechanics of setting such a business up. How did you get around all the strict regulations and restrictions? Normally, you gotta have an established retailing business with at least five-million dollar capital investment, and you have to be ready to make a similar investment in China.

How did you lube the beaureaucratic machine in PRC?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eva [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 09:39
xerox wrote:
My question is off topic. It is just interesting how you and your father set up your retailing business in China. It is an extremely difficult thing to do for foreigners even now, even in Beijing and Shanghai it is impossible for mere mortals. I know tens of people interested in doing relail in China on a small scale, and it would be nice to know the general mechanics of setting such a business up. How did you get around all the strict regulations and restrictions? Normally, you gotta have an established retailing business with at least five-million dollar capital investment, and you have to be ready to make a similar investment in China.

How did you lube the beaureaucratic machine in PRC?

There is office in China that manages the export.. The retail outlets are in India/Nepal.. Does that help?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 16:51
bewakoof, I'm pretty sure you have a VERY GOOD profile. Good GMAT, Good GPA, interesting background (work, extracurriculars, volunteering), and a very unique story (from what I've seen). All you need to do is get your essays done well and have your voice shine through those essays and you should have no problem with Haas, UCLA, and even Stanford. Meanwhile, I have to worry about a strong competitor like you applying to the same 3 schools, hahaha! ;)

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll get in as long as you kill those essays!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eva [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 20:00
bewakoof wrote:

There is office in China that manages the export.. The retail outlets are in India/Nepal.. Does that help?

Thanks. This setup makes sense and is common.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pretty please with sugar and honey on top - One more Eva [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 20:35
xerox wrote:
bewakoof wrote:

Thanks. This setup makes sense and is common.

oohhh now I get it.. I said in my original statement,"6 stores and an office in China".. sorry wasn't clear.. GMAT Sentence corrrection.. ick!!

What I meant to say was total of 6 stores, including once office in China..

my bad!!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 20:38
kryzak wrote:
bewakoof, I'm pretty sure you have a VERY GOOD profile. Good GMAT, Good GPA, interesting background (work, extracurriculars, volunteering), and a very unique story (from what I've seen). All you need to do is get your essays done well and have your voice shine through those essays and you should have no problem with Haas, UCLA, and even Stanford. Meanwhile, I have to worry about a strong competitor like you applying to the same 3 schools, hahaha! ;)

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll get in as long as you kill those essays!

lol.. i know even I looked at your profile and looked at your schools and was like not you!! I don't want to be competing with you :)..I hope both of us get in.. the first beer once we get in would be on me!!!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 21:38
here here! we WILL have a drink at ALL THREE schools we apply to during admit weekend, make that a promise, ok? ;)
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 12:23
Great background. Good scores. Nice school selection -- you should go for it. You're a competitive candidiate.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 18:57
kryzak wrote:
here here! we WILL have a drink at ALL THREE schools we apply to during admit weekend, make that a promise, ok? ;)

definitely.. Never say no to alcohol..

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 19:01
truthringer wrote:
Great background. Good scores. Nice school selection -- you should go for it. You're a competitive candidiate.

thanks!! !

About school selection:I have Stanford, UCLA and Berkley

Can you help me add 2 more schools to this list.. Georgetown and may be USC.. both these schools have good Int'l management focus..

I kinda want to apply to a safety school too.. I do agree that there is no point in applying to school if you don't want to go there but still.. A safety school with good int'l management focus?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 20:58
not sure if there's a "safety" school with good international management, other than ones like Thunderbird.

I have the same three as you, bewakoof, but I'm considering adding either Chicago, Kellogg, or NYU. Out of those three, Chicago seems to have the best Int'l management, but unfortunately it's *not* a safety school...

USC might be ok, but I've heard too many negative things about it (and it's located in a very bad area, think Yale) I probably wouldn't go there...
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 12:17
Georgetown would be a good safety school to consider.

http://www.mbagameplan.com