Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 280

CAT Tests
Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:16
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:24) correct 29% (01:38) wrong based on 75 sessions
This looks dicey to me.

OA after soem discussions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

CR_GMAT PREP.jpg
CR_GMAT PREP.jpg [ 94.71 KiB | Viewed 1337 times ]

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Last edited by rajathpanta on 06 Apr 2013, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
my take wud be E :for if fewer people r likely to eat pretzel at art museum than they are at city mall then definitely the argument of vendor will hold true
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 828 [1] , given: 82

Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:
This looks dicey to me.

Hi rajathpanta,

The argument is concerned about the vendor and bases his conclusion on the premise that he currently sells 15 pretzels and will not be able to sell 25 outside the museum to cover the license cost. So, the correct answer choice is likely to be the one that compares the current situation (sale outside the city hall) with the new situation (sale outside the museum).

(E) states that fewer people are likely to buy pretzel outside a museum than outside a city hall. This will support the conclusion of the vendor that he will not able to recover the license if he is selling fewer than 25 ( <15 according to E).

If you have any specific question then let me know.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 06-29-2013
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 13:17
Agree with E.

The vendor argues that the license fee would be prohibitively expensive due to his prediction that lower than 25 pretzels/hr will be sold in front of the art museum, which is the number required to break even. The introduction of the city hall sales figures functions as a way to cement the point regarding expected sales in front of the art museum, by providing alternate evidence that boosts the likelihood of the vendor's prediction (although as the paragraph is written, this is the potentially flawed part of the argument, the fact that there's a connection between sales at each location). E fills in the gap and states that art museum pretzel-hungry passerby < city hall pretzel-hungry passerby, therefore we can add it to the argument and infer that art museum sales < city hall sales (15/hr), which translate to the art museum sales being < 25 pretzels/hr needed to break even.

The only second thought I had when reading this was the fact that E only refers to # of people buying pretzels, and doesn't correlate that to # of pretzels sold. What if people passing by the art museum on average purchase more pretzels than city hall? That would mean there could be less people approaching the pretzel cart, but they may be buying a higher quantity. That might be overthinking the problem, though.. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 04:41
My answer is E. This option indicates that the pretzel vendor will not be able to reach the target for breakeven also.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1103 [1] , given: 118

Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 15:27
This post received
KUDOS
@rajathpanta: thanks for sharing a nice question.

My vote is E.

First of all, this is the assumption question, which is one of the most difficult questions in CR. if you realize the question type, it will help you shorten the processing time. In this kind of question, conclusion is the most important.

Premise: must sell an average 25 pretzels /hour to break even
Premise: I only sells an average 15 pretzels /hour at my stand outside the city hall.
Conclusion: I couldn't break even running a pretzel stand outside the art museum.

Assumption: the vendor means his stand outside city hall always has more customer than stands outside the art museum. if he cannot sell a average 25 pretzels/hour at his stand, he couldn't do so at the stand outside the art museum.

If you're not sure, try the NEGATION technique. Not fewer people passing the art museum than passing the city hall likely to buy pretzels. It means the vendor can sell more pretzels if his stand is outside the art museum. The vendor's conclusion fails.

That's why E.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 36

Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 00:58
Vercules wrote:
rajathpanta wrote:
This looks dicey to me.

Hi rajathpanta,

The argument is concerned about the vendor and bases his conclusion on the premise that he currently sells 15 pretzels and will not be able to sell 25 outside the museum to cover the license cost. So, the correct answer choice is likely to be the one that compares the current situation (sale outside the city hall) with the new situation (sale outside the museum).

(E) states that fewer people are likely to buy pretzel outside a museum than outside a city hall. This will support the conclusion of the vendor that he will not able to recover the license if he is selling fewer than 25 ( <15 according to E).

If you have any specific question then let me know.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Hai Vercules,

I have a doubt.. Pl clarify.

Option E says ''fewer people are likely to buy pretzel outside a museum than outside a city hall''.

Now my question is, What if the number of stands outside the city hall is more than that outside the art museum..

As per the option E, let me consider 150 people buy outside city hall and 100 people buy outside art museum.. But if there are only two stands outside the museum and 10 stalls near city hall, is it not possible that the number of customers near art museum averages to 25??

Kindly guide me where my thought process or understanding is skewed..
Re: Pretzel Vendor:tough cookie!   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2013, 00:58