Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 11:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:09) correct 25% (02:33) wrong based on 29 sessions
Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that a pretzel remains in contact with the teeth when it is being eaten, the greater the likelihood that a cavity will result. What is true of pretzels in this regard is also true of caramels. Therefore, since caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, eating a caramel is less likely to result in a cavity than eating a pretzel is.
The reasoning in the argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(A) treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well
(B) relies on the ambiguous use of a key term
(C) makes a general claim based on particular examples that do not adequately represent the respective classes that they are each intended to represent
(D) mistakes the cause of a particular phenomenon for the effect of that phenomenon
(E) is based on premises that cannot all be true

Two choices are clearly preferred. Please explain one over the other.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

yo [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 11:39
B.

abiguous use of the key term "contact".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 21:41
A?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 22:41
A for me too
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 03:00
one more vote for A.

Krishna
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 06:02
A too but no easy answers on this one...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 06:22
IMO it is D,

Both pretzel and caramel causes cavities on contact, the more time pretzel is in contact with teeth the more cavities it can cause, caramel dissolves faster but the effect of caramel ccompared to pretzedl could be serious on short contact and will be even more serious with longer contact...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 07:22
D.

GA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 07:29
IMO A.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2005, 07:33
Choice A for me b/c from 2nd sentence "greater likelihood" implies coorelation and not direct/cause effect relationship. Then rest of sentence carries this coorelation from pretzel to caramels.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:21
OA is A, but i dont understand why.
Could anybody explain?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 04:21
eastcoaster9 wrote:
Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that a pretzel remains in contact with the teeth when it is being eaten, the greater the likelihood that a cavity will result. What is true of pretzels in this regard is also true of caramels. Therefore, since caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, eating a caramel is less likely to result in a cavity than eating a pretzel is.

The reasoning in the argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

(A) treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well

(C) makes a general claim based on particular examples that do not adequately represent the respective classes that they are each intended to represent

(D) mistakes the cause of a particular phenomenon for the effect of that phenomenon

Hi Guys,

Let me know if this helps... The wording is of course very tricky and requires constant interpretation. But the important thing to take note of is that this a an argument by analogy. The conclusion that a caramel is less likely to lead to a cavity is based on the assumption that duration of contact is the only factor in developing a cavity, as is the case with the pretzel.

In D, we need to 'translate' to see that this doesn't make sense:

the cause: duration of contact
the effect: developing a cavity

In no way is the duration of contact mistaken for developing a cavity.

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:01
Thanks

Yogesh Agarwal
yogeshagarwala@gmail.com

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:43
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
eastcoaster9 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Let me know if this helps... The wording is of course very tricky and requires constant interpretation. But the important thing to take note of is that this a an argument by analogy. The conclusion that a caramel is less likely to lead to a cavity is based on the assumption that duration of contact is the only factor in developing a cavity, as is the case with the pretzel.

In D, we need to 'translate' to see that this doesn't make sense:

the cause: duration of contact
the effect: developing a cavity

In no way is the duration of contact mistaken for developing a cavity.

i dont see your point, sorry

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:56
cause ==> duration of contact with teeth
effect ==> greater cavity

Author is saying because caramel dissolves in mouth faster than pretzel, caramel will not stay for a longer duration in mouth and hence will not cause greater cavity.

option (D) says the reasoning is wrong because it mistakes the cause of a particular phenomenon (duration of contact with teeth) for the effect of that phenomenon (greater cavity) but that is not what the argument is saying or doing.

Instead the arugment says that because pretzel stays in the mouth for a longer duration it causes greater cavity and because caramel will stay in the mouth for less time it will cause less cavity (treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well) .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 00:26
Hi noboru,

seekmba did a good job explaining-- is the issue clearer now or still confusing to you?

-Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 05:45
The thing is that OA is A, not D.
Aside from that, for me the effect is not greater cavity, but greater probability.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Pretzels [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:03
want to know the source of this CR!
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 02:44
I still could not understand why A is the OA.

Also no option is looking good to answer. Experts, pl provide explanation.

What is the source of the ques
7 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1091 [7] , given: 118

Re: Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
ranjeet75 wrote:
I still could not understand why A is the OA.

Also no option is looking good to answer. Experts, pl provide explanation.

What is the source of the ques

Because I see there's no clear answer for this question, so I want share my thought (I'm sorry I'm not CR expert). Hope it will help.

GENERAL METHOD:

This question is Flaw in the Reasoning question that is considered the most difficult question in GMAT. Flaw questions appear infrequently in GMAT. If you see this kind of question, that would be a signal you are doing very well on the GMAT.

The technique used in Flaw question is Prephrasing and Fact test. Keep in mind that answers provide "new information" always be considered wrong.

APPLY:

Now, I will prephrase the stimulus as follows:

Why eating Pretzel makes cavity? Because Pretzel contacts with teeth. There must be a correlation between Pretzel and teeth. KEY
Why eating Caramel makes cavity? Because Caramel contacts with teeth. There must be a correlation between Caramel and teeth. KEY
If No, there's no cavity
The longer the correlations remains, the greater the likelihood that a cavity will result.

Author concludes: the correlation between Caramel & teeth lasts shorter than that between Pretzel and teeth >>>> the less likelihood that a cavity will result.

I bet you see THE GAP. The correlation between Caramel & teeth is DIFFERENT from the correlation between Pretzel & teeth. We cannot say "this is true for X also true for Y". This is wrong assumption.

What A says: "treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well". KEY WORD: "holds within & holding across"

It means: Author treats a correlation between Caramel & teeth and a correlation between Pretzel & teeth the same, and thereby makes a conclusion.

A clearly shows the flaw in author's reasoning.

Takeaway:
Flaw questions appear infrequently in GMAT. If you see this kind of question, that would be a signal you are doing very well on the GMAT.
The technique used in Flaw question is Prephrasing & Fact Test.

Hope my post helps you a little bit.

Regards.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 14:54