Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 21:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 17:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (02:37) correct 43% (01:36) wrong based on 30 sessions
Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that a pretzel remains in contact with the teeth when it is being eaten, the greater the likelihood that a cavity will result. What is true of pretzels in this regard is also true of caramels. Therefore, since caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, eating a caramel is less likely to result in a cavity than eating a pretzel is.
The reasoning in the argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument
(A) treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well
(B) relies on the ambiguous use of a key term
(C) makes a general claim based on particular examples that do not adequately represent the respective classes that they are each intended to represent
(D) mistakes the cause of a particular phenomenon for the effect of that phenomenon
(E) is based on premises that cannot all be true

Please explain your reasoning .......
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
gmacvik wrote:
Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that a pretzel remains in contact with the teeth when it is being eaten, the greater the likelihood that a cavity will result. What is true of pretzels in this regard is also true of caramels. Therefore, since caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, eating a caramel is less likely to result in a cavity than eating a pretzel is.
The reasoning in the argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument
(A) treats a correlation that holds within individual categories as thereby holding across categories as well
(C) makes a general claim based on particular examples that do not adequately represent the respective classes that they are each intended to represent
(D) mistakes the cause of a particular phenomenon for the effect of that phenomenon

Tough question. I would bet on A.

Eating Pretzels can cause cavities, and longer touch with teeth means more chances of cavities. Eating Caramels also can cause cavities, and longer touch with teeth means more chances of cavities. These are correlations in individual categories.

Caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, does not mean that caramels are less likely to cause cavities. Because, caramels might cause cavities in the short time they are in touch with teeth. Caramels may get dissolved fast, but they may be more dangerous per unit of time compared to pretzels.

Hence, the argument is right in relating in individual categories, but not right when comparing across categories (caramels and pretzels).

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Yes the correlation that staying longer in contact with teeth increases the likelihood that a cavity will be created holds true for pretzel. the author uses the same correlation with caramel. Therefore the criticism of the above argument is best explained by A.

Neelabh Mahesh

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 17:39
Looks like C.

Will explain if it's right.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:29
ak_idc wrote:
gmacvik wrote:

Eating Pretzels can cause cavities, and longer touch with teeth means more chances of cavities. Eating Caramels also can cause cavities, and longer touch with teeth means more chances of cavities. These are correlations in individual categories.

Caramels dissolve more quickly in the mouth than pretzels do, does not mean that caramels are less likely to cause cavities. Because, caramels might cause cavities in the short time they are in touch with teeth. Caramels may get dissolved fast, but they may be more dangerous per unit of time compared to pretzels.

Hence, the argument is right in relating in individual categories, but not right when comparing across categories (caramels and pretzels).

One more for A. Text book explanation!!! PLEASE tell me what you are using for CR prep. I really need some help for CR :oops:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2006, 19:34
Between A and C here.

I'll take (A) for the usage of "indivual categories."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 03:18
A as explained above
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 04:06
Go for C
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:27
ak_idc wrote:
gmacvik wrote:

Wow)Nice explanation

IE IMBA 2010

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 10:38
ak_idc, Great explanation.

I would pick A. OA please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 10:20
I still don't quite get this question, can someone help me again with this one, thanks.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 15:17
+1 for A, my reasoning echos gmacvik's
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 15:21
tough one between A and C. I would vote for C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 23:53
I would opt for D.

The argument above is prone to serious criticism if the result as per the argument can be proved as the cause.. Do you agree?

in our case pritzels could be sticking on the teeth because of the cavities that are already there.. So a criticism like in the statement D would say pritxels are not causing cavities but cavities are causing pritzels to stick to the teeth.

Can somebody post the official answer
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: CR:Pretzels [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 10:31
Yes OA please..

Can anybody explain why C cannot be the answer???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 21:18
I found nice discussion on this topic at pretzels-can-cause-cavities-interestingly-the-longer-that-20427.html

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Re: Pretzels can cause cavities. Interestingly, the longer that   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2012, 21:18