Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Nov 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 17:29
Hello.
I'm new in gmatclub, signed up 2 minutes ago. A friend of mine recommended me this forum..., I hope to get lots of help from all of you and not to feel so lonely during my G-journey...

I have a few questions, and please..., I ask for your honest and realistic answers..

1. I think I made a really stupid mistake in taking the first GMAT without ANY preparation. I scored 310. Obviously I'm preparing to retake it (this time with proper and strong preparation), but my question is, even though I get a high score on my next attempt, will 310 score affect during the admission process? I'm asking this because when official score report is sent to the business school I'm applying to, 3 latest scores will be visible in the report.

2. I've heard that your previous GMAT scores affect the following ones. Let's suppose that on my second attempt I get 700+, but since my first score is 310, even though I get 700+, my actual score will be around 500 at most. Is this true?

3. Is 400 points improvement between two tests possible in GMAT?

I appreciate very much for your advise...

Cirus
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 30

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
cirus wrote:
Hello.
I'm new in gmatclub, signed up 2 minutes ago. A friend of mine recommended me this forum..., I hope to get lots of help from all of you and not to feel so lonely during my G-journey...

I have a few questions, and please..., I ask for your honest and realistic answers..

1. I think I made a really stupid mistake in taking the first GMAT without ANY preparation. I scored 310. Obviously I'm preparing to retake it (this time with proper and strong preparation), but my question is, even though I get a high score on my next attempt, will 310 score affect during the admission process? I'm asking this because when official score report is sent to the business school I'm applying to, 3 latest scores will be visible in the report.

No. Your previous score will not affect your application. The admission committee infact takes it positive that you had such a leap of score and that you were determined to get through.

2. I've heard that your previous GMAT scores affect the following ones. Let's suppose that on my second attempt I get 700+, but since my first score is 310, even though I get 700+, my actual score will be around 500 at most. Is this true?
No. The admission committee doesnt take the avg score. Think it in this way. Even the colleges will like to have a high avg GMAT score of the admitted students. So they usually take the highest of the scores.

3. Is 400 points improvement between two tests possible in GMAT?
I will like to say 'yes'. But it will vary from person to person, the effort you put in and the time you have .

I appreciate very much for your advise...

Cirus

Please see my comments in red.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2338

Kudos [?]: 9574 [0], given: 3717

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 20:17
Expert's post
The good news is that scores are independent of each other and AdComs don't really pay attention to lower scores.

The bad news is that getting a 400 point improvement is tough - you will need to spend some serious time preparing. Look at this link for some ideas about building a study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 21:58
Thank you very much to both (achiever01 and Founder)... :-D
I'll keep your advise in mind, and will be posting about my progress...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 2

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 09:43
Hi,

I started with 310 as well (May 2009) and then 440 (October 2009)...I used to study on and off...

hopefully, i can get 620
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 14:17
>> This sounds scary.... does anyone hit 740 in the first time? or it is progressive . . .

Last edited by ohfred on 06 Mar 2011, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 20

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 15:51
ohfred wrote:
Hi,

I started with 310 as well (May 2009) and then 440 (October 2009)...I used to study on and off...

hopefully, i can get 620

>> This sounds scary.... does anyone hit 740 in the first time? or it is progressive . . .

Check this link (share-your-gmat-experience-8/) for experience of those who have actually tested.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Re: Previous GMAT scores affect the next ones?   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2010, 15:51