Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Princeton REVIEW CAT???????????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Princeton REVIEW CAT??????????? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 12:28
My tutor said it was adaptive and the scoring system was right. I got 4 wrong on the math and that was a 45. I got 4 wrong on the next test and that was a 44. All the problems were hard and in the middle. THis system can't seem right
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 14:59
were the four you got wrong in early in the section? were they in bunches? the fact that they are adaptive explains why you got two different raw scores...
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 15:39
I think your assumption here is that the hard questions in the middle of the exam were of the same difficulty level which might not be true. Computer-adaptive test gives you harder questions as long as you answer the previous questions correctly. The level of difficulty goes down when you answer the questions wrong. The tests zeroes in on your approximate level. That's why it's almost impossible to get a score of 700 5 times. More likely the scores will be something in the range of 680-720.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 11:29
nervousgmat wrote:
I think your assumption here is that the hard questions in the middle of the exam were of the same difficulty level which might not be true. Computer-adaptive test gives you harder questions as long as you answer the previous questions correctly. The level of difficulty goes down when you answer the questions wrong. The tests zeroes in on your approximate level. That's why it's almost impossible to get a score of 700 5 times. More likely the scores will be something in the range of 680-720.

Answers wrong: 5, 16, 23, 32. I knew all were hard. There is no way this should be a 44
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 11:32
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:

Answers wrong: 5, 16, 23, 32. I knew all were hard. There is no way this should be a 44

I still don't understand your reasoning... You could have 50% of the questions wrong and still get a 45. It depends on the level of questions you are getting.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 12:19
nervousgmat wrote:
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:

I still don't understand your reasoning... You could have 50% of the questions wrong and still get a 45. It depends on the level of questions you are getting.

The questions were all hard. I guarantee that. And its impossible to get 4 wrong and get a 44
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 12:30
Why don't you try MGMAT's CATs then? Their algorithm is better than Princeton's...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 18:24
I suggest you try GMATPrep. I too found PR CAT math to be kinda weird..the problems were easier than those in GMATPrep yet it's harder to score better than GMATPrep... :?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 19:39
ricokevin wrote:
I suggest you try GMATPrep. I too found PR CAT math to be kinda weird..the problems were easier than those in GMATPrep yet it's harder to score better than GMATPrep... :?

I have taken every GMAT prep, Manhatten. I usually score 47-50 on everything. I was just wondering because my Princetonreview tutor told me the math is perfectly adaptive. He has no reason to lie because I have purchased everything. Getting 4 wrong twice shouldn't equal a 44 and 45 even without getting easy wrong. Also, I got the first like 8 right.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2007, 20:03
This is my take on PR CAT:

The final raw score is a good predictor of where you are. The number correct/incorrect is not. The PR CAT math is easy, but punishes incorrect answers.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 10:18
kidderek wrote:
This is my take on PR CAT:

The final raw score is a good predictor of where you are. The number correct/incorrect is not. The PR CAT math is easy, but punishes incorrect answers.

Is that you in the picture? It looks like Dave Chappelle. Anyways, reading the other posts, people have stated a couple of things. Alot of people have mentioned problems with the scoring PR system. Other people mentioned that its a myth the first 10 questions mean more. You really think 4 wrong could lead to a 44? Even if you got the 4 easiest question wrong, and they were in a row?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 12:18
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
Is that you in the picture?

haha no it's Derek Luke, the movie star (<-- maybe not). It's my sn kidderek.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

PR CAT [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2007, 23:38
Hey,ys

I finished the PR course a month ago. The class manual is a good intro, and I believe that the course approximates the Manhattan Review. My next stop.

I was just going to mention that My instructor, good friend, always asserted that those PR CATS are actually programmed to focus on the presentation of course material. Infact, the CATS actually weight material based on the attrition of the class. Thus, the major discrepancy in test results.

If you want a true estimate, you'd probabley be better off with something other than PR CATs. I feel I know PR backward and forward. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

MWW7786
Florida
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2007, 05:24
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
Is that you in the picture? It looks like Dave Chappelle.

Now that I think about it, Dave Chappelle did a spoof of Antwone Fisher. Derek Luke played Antwone Fisher in the actual movie.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

Re: Princeton REVIEW CAT??????????? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2007, 05:08
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
My tutor said it was adaptive and the scoring system was right. I got 4 wrong on the math and that was a 45. I got 4 wrong on the next test and that was a 44. All the problems were hard and in the middle. THis system can't seem right

The purpose of practise tests is to see how good you can do for the real GMAT and their scores can only be an approximate estimate for your true GMAT score. Some estimates may be better than others. Don't focus on how good their scoring mechanism is. It does not matter.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2007, 04:10
I agree with HongHu
  [#permalink] 23 Mar 2007, 04:10