Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 05:16
Anyone know how the Princeton Review CATs rank up against the real GMAT or GMAT Prep? I tried searching and could not find an answer to this question.

I am taking the Princeton Review Online course and recently took a CAT in the middle of my course.

My question is, I see people missing 10 or so on math and 12 on verbal and scoring 700 or so. I missed 10 on math and 10 on verbal in the Princeton Review CAT and my score wasn't near 700 at all.

So now I am confused.

And yes, I need to work on this. Ideally, I want no more than 5 wrong on each section and with more time to focus and study, this should not be problem for me.

Advice? Suggetsions?

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2008, 05:32
RyanDe680 wrote:
Anyone know how the Princeton Review CATs rank up against the real GMAT or GMAT Prep? I tried searching and could not find an answer to this question.

Thanks.

GMATPrep = GMAT

I found that the PR verbal was on par with the actual GMAT. However, PR quant is waaaay too easy and the score will punish you if you get even a few questions wrong. I think I got a 50q on a PR CAT with 3 questions wrong. But, I think PR is second only to GMATPrep in terms of emulating the actual GMAT. MGMAT is a close third.

Last edited by kidderek on 09 Aug 2010, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 04:23
What about in regards to the scoring on CATs?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 04:45
RyanDe680 wrote:
What about in regards to the scoring on CATs?

I found the PR online tests scores were on target. The MGMAT online tests (non comp adaptive) were skewed lower, but their CATs were skewed higher.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 09:42
The PR tests are great practice, but I wouldn't look too much into their scoring. Like kidderek said, the PR quant is super easy, so 1 or 2 mistakes can really screw with your score, which isn't anything like how the real GMAT is scored. I just like to do PR test to train my pacing and to improve my consistency with medium difficulty problems.

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2008, 21:34
PR Test are heavily weighted on the first 10 questions. If you miss a couple in the first 10 your score will be horrible if you miss a couple late it wont really hurt you at all. The scoring seems to be similar to what I get on GMATPrep but I miss far less questions on PR Test.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 23:36
Just gave princeton CAT - got a 690 (Q 48 V 37) - this is significant departure from my usual scores on Manhattan where I scored 750,710,740.

In Quant: I got very questions wrong in comparison to MGMAT where I got as many as 10 wrong yet got 51 on Quant and here just 5 wrong got me to 48. The level was easier definitely and I finished way ahead of time, almost 20 mins and Quant

In Verbal: Similar situation, where I got 6 wrong, yet a score of 37 nd 15 mins in Verbal to spare.

Need to know - How similar is the adaptive algorithm that folks have seen, in princeton it seemed average and saw only moderate level questions and hence was penalized for silly errors on the moderate ones. I felt this was counter productive as you can only move downwards from a moderate difficulty but can not move up to harder ones. So silly errors are really penalizing.

Requesting members of this forum to share their experience and specifically share inputs on the algorithm of Princeton and its similarity to the actual GMAT.

"Resistance is futile"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 20:02
Wish I was on the same level as you guys. I scored 620 on the princeton CAT. 48 quantitative, 28 verbal. But it was past midnight and I felt really tired at the verbal portion of the test. I've been scoring between 630 and 680 on the MGMAT, hope to score at least 640 on the actual test!!!
Re: Princeton Review CATs vs. GMAT Prep & GMAT   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2010, 20:02