Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 02:08
Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction as they grind past each other, but in 1965 Henyey found that temperatures in drill holes near the fault were not as elevated as had been expected. Some geologists wondered whether the absence of friction-generated heat could be
explained by the kinds of rock composing the fault. Geologists’ pre-1965 assumptions concerning heat generated in the fault were based on calculations about common varieties of
rocks, such as limestone and granite; but “weaker” materials, such as clays, had already been identified in samples retrieved from the fault zone. Under normal conditions, rocks composed of clay produce far less friction than do other rock types.

In 1992 Byerlee tested whether these materials would produce friction 10 to 15 kilometers below the Earth’s surface. Byerlee found that when clay samples were subjected to the thousands of atmospheres of pressure they would encounter deep inside the Earth, they produced as much friction as was produced by other rock types. The harder rocks push against each other, the hotter they become; in other words, pressure itself, not only the rocks’ properties, affects frictional heating. Geologists therefore wondered whether the friction between the plates was being reduced by pockets of pressurized water within the fault that push the plates away from each other
The passage suggests which of the following regarding Henyey’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault?
A.Scientists have yet to formulate a definitive explanation for Henyey’s findings.
B.Recent research suggests that Henyey’s explanation for the findings should be modified.
C.Henyey’s findings had to be recalculated in light of Byerlee’s 1992 experiment.
D.Henyey’s findings provided support for an assumption long held by geologists.
E.Scientists have been unable to duplicate Henyey’s findings using more recent experimental methods.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

The passage is primarily concerned with
A.evaluating a method used to test a particular scientific hypothesis
B.discussing explanations for an unexpected scientific finding
C.examining the assumptions underlying a particular experiment
D.questioning the validity of a scientific finding
E.presenting evidence to support a recent scientific hypothesis
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

The passage mostly agree that Heney’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault made the greatest contribution in that they
A.revealed an error in previous measurements of temperature in the San Andreas Fault zone
B.indicated the types of clay present in the rocks that form the San Andreas Fault
C.established the superiority of a particular technique for evaluating data concerning friction in the San Andreas Fault
D.suggested that geologists had inaccurately assumed that giant rock plates that meet at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction
E.confirmed geologists’ assumptions about the amount of friction generated by common varieties of rocks, such as limestone and granite
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: RC passage....sort but though [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 02:33
1 - A
2 - B
3 - B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 11:01
I hope someone ansvvers this one
in A it is mentioned that

A.Scientists have yet to formulate a definitive explanation for Henyey’s findings.

tthere are no Scientists mentioned in the passage then hovv can that be correct ?

The passage suggests which of the following regarding Henyey’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault?

B.Recent research suggests that Henyey’s explanation for the findings should be modified.
C.Henyey’s findings had to be recalculated in light of Byerlee’s 1992 experiment.
D.Henyey’s findings provided support for an assumption long held by geologists.
E.Scientists have been unable to duplicate Henyey’s findings using more recent experimental methods.
Answer:
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 13:10
My answers are A, B and D

to the question:
Quote:
tthere are no Scientists mentioned in the passage then hovv can that be correct ?

yes, only geologists are mentioned. i think geologists need to be assumed as scientists to answer this questions. I know, but this does happen in some RC questions and I get it wrong because of that :(

for the last question:
The passage mostly agree that Heney’s findings about temperature in the San Andreas Fault made the greatest contribution in that they

A.revealed an error in previous measurements of temperature in the San Andreas Fault zone
ew cannot say that there were errors in measurement, only that the previous theory was incorrect (we dont know if they actually measured it earlier
B.indicated the types of clay present in the rocks that form the San Andreas Fault
they did try to explain presence of clay, but types of clay - not sure if that is mentioned
C.established the superiority of a particular technique for evaluating data concerning friction in the San Andreas Fault
hmm, not leaning towards this one. seems to be nowhere near. where is that technique mentoined?
D.suggested that geologists had inaccurately assumed that giant rock plates that meet at the San Andreas Fault generate heat through friction
i dont think this is what the author wanted to say, but this is the closest. I did not like this one because the heat could be generated and dissipated immediately. nevertheless, the closest one
E.confirmed geologists’ assumptions about the amount of friction generated by common varieties of rocks, such as limestone and granite
no, we do not even think these plates had rocks - so, how can we say this confirmed the friction of limestone/granite?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 05:50
akrish1982 wrote:
My answers are A, B and D

to the question:
Quote:

yes, only geologists are mentioned. i think geologists need to be assumed as scientists to answer this questions. I know, but this does happen in some RC questions and I get it wrong because of that :(

for the last question:

ew cannot say that there were errors in measurement, only that the previous theory was incorrect (we dont know if they actually measured it earlier
they did try to explain presence of clay, but types of clay - not sure if that is mentioned
hmm, not leaning towards this one. seems to be nowhere near. where is that technique mentoined?
i dont think this is what the author wanted to say, but this is the closest. I did not like this one because the heat could be generated and dissipated immediately. nevertheless, the closest one
no, we do not even think these plates had rocks - so, how can we say this confirmed the friction of limestone/granite?

But 'temperatures in drill holes near the
fault were not as elevated as had
been expected'

Doen't this show that A is correct?
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 174 [2] , given: 4

Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Roopika,

I don't think that it does.

Whilst Heyney found that temperatures were not that high, it says nowhere that anyone else had measured the temparature. The previous wisdom that temperatures were high, was not based on any actual data, just an assumption.
So A is not correct.

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2014, 22:28
Bumping up.
In question 1, A talks about scientists as discussed earlier, Option B talks about recent research suggesting explanations of Heyney's finding should be modified.

Isn't this option better than A, we know there are Geologist/Scientist involved but the Heyney's finding have been challenged once and now again the challenge is being challenged.

Can't we infer that passage is suggesting modification?

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 22:27
Can some explain Q3

What I see in the passage is
"The harder rocks push against each other, the hotter they become; in other words, pressure itself, not only the rocks’ properties, affects frictional heating. "

This effectively means that two factors contributed to frictional heating

1) Rocks' properties
2) Pressure

How can option D be correct which says that the heat was not generated due to friction. Both the factors finally leads to frictional heating only.
Re: Prior to 1965 geologists assumed that the two giant rock   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2014, 22:27