Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Private Equity and Blackstone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AICPA, CAL Society CPA
Schools: Kellogg 1Y, Duke 2Y
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Private Equity and Blackstone [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 13:10
Which MBA programs are good links to Private Equity firms like Blackstone, Blackrock, and Carlyle?

Is it the school itself (like HBS, GSB (Chicago & Stanford)) or is it the school's strength (CBS-Finance) that attracts PE firms? I looked at Ross and no mention of any PE firms in recruiter info.

Any help?

There are three things in life: Price, Quality, and Speed. You only get two out of the three.

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Private Equity and Blackstone [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 13:24
Most people who get in to PE usually have prior PE or at least IB experience. Most people who have prior PE experience usually end up at HBS or Stanford.
Naturally, this leads to self-selection give that the number of associates hired by PEs are not too many.

I don't work in PE/IB. So my opinion is based on what I have read or heard from various sources.

justincase49 wrote:
Which MBA programs are good links to Private Equity firms like Blackstone, Blackrock, and Carlyle?

Is it the school itself (like HBS, GSB (Chicago & Stanford)) or is it the school's strength (CBS-Finance) that attracts PE firms? I looked at Ross and no mention of any PE firms in recruiter info.

Any help?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Private Equity and Blackstone [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 13:39
lhotseface wrote:
Most people who get in to PE usually have prior PE or at least IB experience. Most people who have prior PE experience usually end up at HBS or Stanford.
Naturally, this leads to self-selection give that the number of associates hired by PEs are not too many.

I don't work in PE/IB. So my opinion is based on what I have read or heard from various sources.

This is correct. Very few HF and PE firms hire associates that have no prior experience. Many people, especially career switchers, have misconceptions that if you get MBA from XYZ schools that you will be able to be hired. They also hire many without MBA degrees but with prior IB, IM , equity research experience.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 14:18
So if you need prior PE experience to get into a PE firm, where do you get PE experience to begin with!?

There are three things in life: Price, Quality, and Speed. You only get two out of the three.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 15:10
justincase49 wrote:
So if you need prior PE experience to get into a PE firm, where do you get PE experience to begin with!?

No... generally you need IB experience or P/L management "line" experience.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 15:10
Out of an ivy as an analyst.

justincase49 wrote:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 15:14
So if you don't already have IB or PE experience prior to getting an MBA, is it realistically possible to work in IB for 2-3 years and then lateral over to a PE firm?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 15:24
You can also get cherry picked from a MC firm too right? I they recruit out of Mckinsey I heard...

So the path would be MBA>McKinsey>Blackstone? (if you dont do IB)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 15:39
justincase49 wrote:
You can also get cherry picked from a MC firm too right? I they recruit out of Mckinsey I heard...

depends on what type of consulting projects have you done at McK...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 16:12
flapjack wrote:
So if you don't already have IB or PE experience prior to getting an MBA, is it realistically possible to work in IB for 2-3 years and then lateral over to a PE firm?

That's a fairly realistic route assuming you've made the necessary contacts during your IB tenure. However, the top PE firms hire very infrequently, so you might have to set your sights on more middle-market firms rather than putting all your hopes on a Blackstone or TPG.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 16:14
haddy74 wrote:
justincase49 wrote:

depends on what type of consulting projects have you done at McK...

I've heard of a good number of folks getting hired out of Bain's PE business.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 16:20
eazyb81 wrote:
flapjack wrote:

That's a fairly realistic route assuming you've made the necessary contacts during your IB tenure. However, the top PE firms hire very infrequently, so you might have to set your sights on more middle-market firms rather than putting all your hopes on a Blackstone or TPG.

Most of the guys I know in PE took this route. 2 years at IB, then PE.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2007, 16:57
Rhyme, you mean that they worked at the IB for two years after getting the MBA and then moved to PE, right?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 02:09
Needn't have an MBA flapjack (though for most people here the MBA gets the IB part) - experience in the market is what they are after.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

go check out Silverlake and KKR websites [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 00:51
if you want to find out what sort of poeple these PE firms hire, go take a look at their sites. It gives you an idea of what sort of candidates these firms look for. One thing that I've noticed is that most come into the firm with IB background. The usual bulge bracket IB firms out there are usually a good breeding ground for potential PE opportunities. It also helps if you have a particular industry experience say in technology as there is always some form of industry consolidation going on in Silicon Valley.
Manager
Manager

Re: go check out Silverlake and KKR websites [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 08:06
mlchang616 wrote:
if you want to find out what sort of poeple these PE firms hire, go take a look at their sites. It gives you an idea of what sort of candidates these firms look for. One thing that I've noticed is that most come into the firm with IB background. The usual bulge bracket IB firms out there are usually a good breeding ground for potential PE opportunities. It also helps if you have a particular industry experience say in technology as there is always some form of industry consolidation going on in Silicon Valley.

I did a lot of that last week. My firm is marketing to PE funds, and I was looking for certain backgrounds in each company. While most do come from IB backgrounds, there are a lot of firms that are very operations oriented. Some even have entire groups of people with corporate/industry/consulting experience. So it's possible, just a lot harder.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 10:24
flapjack wrote:
Rhyme, you mean that they worked at the IB for two years after getting the MBA and then moved to PE, right?

Either before or after - most I know did 2 years IB pre MBA, moved into PE pre MBA, and are now pursuing an MBA.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 12:07
My roommate from when I worked at a BB for the summer worked at UBS then decided to go into PE before getting an MBA. I lucked up, the company I work for is a portfolio that was recently merged into a PE fund. There are many ways to get your foot in the door in PE. The conventional route is IB/MC for a few years and then coming in as a grunt. Its not as easy to advance in PE firms as it is in IB/MC because there is a pyramid organizational strucuture that is more heavily weighted towards the top. The route I recommend is going to an I-Bank and working your way up to VP/SVP, or junior MD, and then hopping to PE as a principal/MD
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 12:27
chillonamill wrote:
My roommate from when I worked at a BB for the summer worked at UBS then decided to go into PE before getting an MBA. I lucked up, the company I work for is a portfolio that was recently merged into a PE fund. There are many ways to get your foot in the door in PE. The conventional route is IB/MC for a few years and then coming in as a grunt. Its not as easy to advance in PE firms as it is in IB/MC because there is a pyramid organizational strucuture that is more heavily weighted towards the top. The route I recommend is going to an I-Bank and working your way up to VP/SVP, or junior MD, and then hopping to PE as a principal/MD

I'm 22, targeting B-school in 4 years, 26. What's the timeline for what you're talking about along with Compensation for the ending position at the IB and the starting position at a PE firm.

If the $$$ isn't significantly different, would it make more sense just to stay at the IB until MD?

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 16:14
justincase49 wrote:
chillonamill wrote:

I'm 22, targeting B-school in 4 years, 26. What's the timeline for what you're talking about along with Compensation for the ending position at the IB and the starting position at a PE firm.

If the $$$ isn't significantly different, would it make more sense just to stay at the IB until MD?

The range and time frame varies quite a bit. Here are the best estimates I could find of comp.

http://www.bankersball.com/2007/04/05/2006-comp-figures-ib-pe/

Also, from my personal experience, the low end of PE is not where its at. You want to come into this profession at the high end.
  [#permalink] 02 May 2007, 16:14