Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Private Tutor or MGMT In-Person Class for a non-beginner?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Private Tutor or MGMT In-Person Class for a non-beginner? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 12:29
So I'm going to be taking the GMAT for the second time on 10/5. I receieved a 660 the first try. I've gone through all questions in the OG (12th & 13th edition), as well as those 2 extra verbal & math OGs. I've also gone through all the MGMT guides (twice). On top of that, I've taken the Knewton course, which will give me a full refund if I don't score at least 50 pt higher.

My CAT scores have consistantly been LOWER than my official 660... with only 2 above 660 and 5 below. So as you can imagine, I'm in the middle of a mini panic.

My question is for if I don't score as well as I would like on the GMAT next friday... for someone who has taken the GMAT twice over the course of 6 months of studying (with breaks inbetween) and somewhat exhausted her main resources, would you suggest taking the MGMT class as the next step to improving my score, or hire a private tutor?

All opinions are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7589 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Private Tutor or MGMT In-Person Class for a non-beginner? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 12:32
Expert's post
I think it makes sense - it could be a much faster path than taking a full course, and cheaper too.

Yes, i would recommend it even though it is quite expensive but in the end I think will be a higher ROI. You don't want the tutor to watch you solve questions but instead point out for you what you did wrong and create a map/plan for improving. I think you an get away with 2-4 meetings instead of a full class (about the same cost or cheaper). You can have 2 meetings, then another one in a few weeks, and final (if you need it) closer to the end of your progress.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Private Tutor or MGMT In-Person Class for a non-beginner? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 16:03
Agree that you should use your remaining resources hiring a tutor. At this stage of the game, you should know the areas that challenge you -- and when you get your tutor make sure that you are crystal clear that you are having issues with x,y and z and need to master them. The more focused you are about your problems, the higher the yield your investment will produce. If you instruct the tutor that your problem is with the overall test, they may take a broad approach and waster a lot of your time and money.

This is how specific you should be:

I am having problems answering reading comprehension questions that focus on scientific passages.
I have problems answering two step geometry problems on the data sufficiency section.
In problem solving, I have problems answering questions that incorporate both geometry and algebra.

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Private Tutor or MGMT In-Person Class for a non-beginner?   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2012, 16:03