Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Private tutor or would Manhattan GMAT in-person be enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Private tutor or would Manhattan GMAT in-person be enough? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:55
Hi All,

I just registered with GMATclub. Plan to take the test in spring. I took a fresh brand new test (with no practice) and scored a 420. Which is the lowest score ever! I was wondering if I should opt for private tutoring as my score was so low, but not sure.

I am very good at verbal although quite weak on the math part. I have registered for Manhattan GMAT online class and intend to take an instructor-led class with them in San Francisco Bay Area as I need a lot of help and practice if I have to get into the 700+ range. For that purpose, I was thinking if I should opt in for private tutoring or would an in-person Manhattan GMAT class be enough?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Sun
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Private tutor or would Manhattan GMAT in-person be enough? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Welcome to GMAT Club, Sun!

I'm a fan of MGMAT's approach, but everybody learns differently, so it's awfully tough to say whether Manhattan GMAT's courses will work well for you. My first instinct is that a 420 is a really low starting point for their classes, and you might feel a little bit lost at first. Manhattan's target market is people who are chasing elite MBAs, and most of their students are starting at a reasonably high level... so the course might move a little bit quickly for you, at least in the beginning.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you'd be better off with a GMAT tutor, though. I have nothing against GMAT tutors, but most of the good ones are pretty expensive, and if you're going for a 280-point score improvement, you might want to do everything you can with cheaper options (self-study and classroom courses) before you hire a tutor. You might benefit from a customized approach from the very start, but you'll probably end up spending a huge pile of cash if your goal is to improve by such a huge margin.

Before you start the MGMAT course, you might want to spend some serious time working on some of the basics, especially on the quant side. MGMAT's Foundations of GMAT Math book might be a good place to start, so that you at least have some of the fundamentals down before you start the class. And if you decide to do even more self-study before starting the MGMAT course, there are plenty of resources and ideas available on this lovely little website.

Good luck with your studies, and please eat some of that amazing SF dim sum for me. :-D

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Private tutor or would Manhattan GMAT in-person be enough? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 12:38
Hey if you haven't decided on a class/tutoring service yet I would definitely recommend checking out Tutor the People. Just took a 6 week course with them (private one-on-one and cheaper than Kaplan/GmatClub) and helped raise my score significantly. I too struggled with the math portion but by the end of my time with Sean that section was actually easier than verbal. Plus they give 5% of the cost to a local charity for underprivileged students - Children of Promise - which is pretty cool!
Re: Private tutor or would Manhattan GMAT in-person be enough?   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2013, 12:38