Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Private tutoring

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 04:33
Hi,

I took my gmat yesterday and I got 580 Q39 V31. I performed better in CATs, in GMATPrep a 680 (after a handful of repeats) and MGMAT up to 640. I think I could have performed better in quant, however it seemed hard.

Now, I've exhausted all the MGMAT guides, I think I know the basics but when it comes to more complicated questions I'm feeling lost. I've also worked with OG13 and have learned almost everything by heart(epsecially in quant) so it's no use anymore. In MGMAT's question banks I'm getting around 30-60% success.

Should I consider getting a few hours of private tutoring? I'm quite sure I've got weaknesses in DS and FDPs and also RC (non-native).

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 5

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 22:31
Expert's post
Skag55 wrote:
Hi,

I took my gmat yesterday and I got 580 Q39 V31. I performed better in CATs, in GMATPrep a 680 (after a handful of repeats) and MGMAT up to 640. I think I could have performed better in quant, however it seemed hard.

Now, I've exhausted all the MGMAT guides, I think I know the basics but when it comes to more complicated questions I'm feeling lost. I've also worked with OG13 and have learned almost everything by heart(epsecially in quant) so it's no use anymore. In MGMAT's question banks I'm getting around 30-60% success.

Should I consider getting a few hours of private tutoring? I'm quite sure I've got weaknesses in DS and FDPs and also RC (non-native).

Thanks

Here is how you should think about that question. How far are you from your goal and how much difference does it make to you to reach your goal? If you are close to your goal, you could probably dig in for another round of study and improve your score by 20+ points (most people improve their score the 2nd time around). You could generate score reports on your MGMAT CAT exams that would show your weak points so you can focus your efforts.

If you are far from your goal and it means a lot to get a higher score (getting into a better school with higher expected pay), it may be a solid investment to get a private tutor. A tutor can give you individualized advice based on your performance and your processes.

Good luck!

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 04:03
KyleWiddison wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Here is how you should think about that question. How far are you from your goal and how much difference does it make to you to reach your goal? If you are close to your goal, you could probably dig in for another round of study and improve your score by 20+ points (most people improve their score the 2nd time around). You could generate score reports on your MGMAT CAT exams that would show your weak points so you can focus your efforts.

If you are far from your goal and it means a lot to get a higher score (getting into a better school with higher expected pay), it may be a solid investment to get a private tutor. A tutor can give you individualized advice based on your performance and your processes.

Good luck!

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aiming for like a 100 points increase...at around a 700. I'll consider what you said though.

Cheers
Manager
Manager

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 04:06
KyleWiddison wrote:
Skag55 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Good luck!

KW

Also, can I get a trial with a private tutor at all? And is a 100 points increase feasible in like 1.5 month?
Expert Post

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 08:35
Expert's post
100 points in 1.5 months. I have seen it before but it's pretty rare. I see 50 point jumps all of the time. Your ability to jump 100 points in 1.5 months in a function of what you've done to this point and how much time/money you will dedicate to this over the next 1.5 months.

What was your score on your first practice exam and when did you take it?
How many hrs/week have you been studying?
How many hrs/day do will you spend studying over the next 1.5 months?
How much budget do you plan to dedicate to score improvement? (on a scale from a modest amount --> whatever it takes)

You also may need to look at the possibility of applying next round/year. It is possible to hit 100 points in that time frame, but it all likelihood you will need a bit more time.

I don't know if anyone does trials for Private Tutoring...

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 09:08
KyleWiddison wrote:
100 points in 1.5 months. I have seen it before but it's pretty rare. I see 50 point jumps all of the time. Your ability to jump 100 points in 1.5 months in a function of what you've done to this point and how much time/money you will dedicate to this over the next 1.5 months.

What was your score on your first practice exam and when did you take it?
How many hrs/week have you been studying?
How many hrs/day do will you spend studying over the next 1.5 months?
How much budget do you plan to dedicate to score improvement? (on a scale from a modest amount --> whatever it takes)

You also may need to look at the possibility of applying next round/year. It is possible to hit 100 points in that time frame, but it all likelihood you will need a bit more time.

I don't know if anyone does trials for Private Tutoring...

KW

I have been studying every day, almost with no day off (maybe only a handful) from almost 1/9 to 1/10 and from 15/10 till my exam day. Usually from morning till 7pm at night, with 1 or 2 hour breaks throughout the day. So I'd say in average 5 hours a day. Before that, I was trying to study a few days a week, though I was too tired coming back from work. However, going back to my first point, I think I'm overlooking several points. Also, following OG13 and this forum, I had my own perception of the test's difficulty, which proved to be far from the real thing. For example I have been overlooking questions which I considered to be too hard or lengthy both in gmartclub and MGMAT's question banks and CATs.
My MGMAT's CAT and some GMATPrep attempts (which are inflated as time goes by) are as follows:

CAT1: 9-Jul
Q44 V31 Total 610
CAT2: 11-Aug
Q37 V28 Total 540
CAT3: 27-Aug
Q39 V28 Total 550
GMATPrep: 26-Oct
Q45 V19 Total 530
GMATPrep: 30-Oct
Q47 V30 Total 640
CAT4: 2-Nov
Q37 V29 Total 550
GMATPrep: 8-Nov
Q48 V25 Total 600
CAT5: 15-Nov
Q38 V26 Total 530
GMATPrep: 18-Nov
Q49 V33 Total 680
CAT6: 24-Nov
Q42 V35 Total 640

Seeing that now it's no surprise that I got 580, however I was hoping on the fact that I could at least get a 620-630 on my first attempt, based on the last two tests plus the fact that the real gmat quants are somehow easier than MGMAT's and verbal is about the same. I got Q39 V31 in the real test.
Also, back in August I got a 550 in GMATPrep (one of the first ones) which compared to my actual GMAT is very little change, as if I have made no progress. However I very much feel that I have done significant progress in all sections especially in SC and CR, though that doesn't reflect.
My budget is along the lines of what all the major companies are offering for 10-20 hours, but again, I don't know how that would translate to my actual progress. My thinking is that a) it can't make me it any worse, and b) it's an investment afterall and I really want to do this so I am willing to take every step that I need.
I was thinking of applying for Sept 2014 programs, what do you mean when you say next year?
Also, this 1.5 months (maybe 2 even) I can dedicate full time into studying.
Expert Post

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:17
Expert's post
By next year, I was meaning that if you can't hit your score you may need to look at applying in 2014 for 2015 programs. Based on your information, I would say that you seem to have the capabilities to greatly improve your score - perhaps even to the 700 mark in 2 months. 10-20 hours is probably the right amount of tutoring.

Best of luck!

KW

Manager
Manager

Re: Private tutoring [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:38
KyleWiddison wrote:
By next year, I was meaning that if you can't hit your score you may need to look at applying in 2014 for 2015 programs. Based on your information, I would say that you seem to have the capabilities to greatly improve your score - perhaps even to the 700 mark in 2 months. 10-20 hours is probably the right amount of tutoring.

Best of luck!

KW

That's always relieving to hear! Thanks a lot for the info Kyle, much appreciate it!
Re: Private tutoring   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2013, 13:38