Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 06:28
Hi,

I'm applying for Indian School of Business (ISB) Young Leaders Programme this year (2011-12). I've already cleared round 1 and is in process of completing my application for round 2. I will appear for GMAT on 27th June. Please advice which schools should I include in my list of 5 schools where scores can be sent for free and what are my chances. I intend to include ISB & HBS. Please advice on the other 3.

Interested areas: General management, Consultancy, Non-Profit

My profile:

GMAT score : 700-710 (expected) - on 27th June

Academics :
University - GPA 8.71 (on a 10 point scale) (till 8th semester) - Integrated M.Sc. (2012 graduation) in Applied Geology at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, India - It is India's one of the top 3-4 universities.
High School - Class 12 - 84.1%
School - Class 10 - 85.1%

Full Time Work Experience : None (as I'm still a student)

Internships :
1. 2011 - Summer Training at ONGC, India's largest oil & gas company
2. 2010 - research project at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany under DAAD scholarship
3. 2009 - research project at IISER Kolkata
4. 2008 - CRY (Child Rights and You) - a leading Indian NGO - conducted Access Audit in various schools, libraries etc. as part of a team. Personally designed questionnaire and audited 13 schools.
Led a two-member delegation team that recommended the Senior P.R.O. & Chief Engineer of Kolkata Metro Railway North-South extension project for making it accessible for all. It was eventually implemented as recommended. [Social Work Exp]

Workshops :
ELLE Workshop at Tübingen, Germany [June 22-24, 2010]: Delivered a Talk on one of past research projects.

Positions of Responsibility :
1. Co-Founder at Child Rights and You (CRY) IIT Kharagpur Volunteer Chapter [2010-present] [Social Work Exp]:
• Formed a Strategic Team to lead the volunteers to bring permanent changes in and around our campus.
• Successfully catalyzed the implementation of Mid-Day Meal scheme in a local primary school.
• Led a 42 member team to conduct an Access Audit of IIT Kharagpur, as requested by Dean (Undergraduate Studies).
• Member of the Committee for Physically Challenged Students, headed by Dean (Undergraduate Studies).

2. Design Team of Kshitij, Asia’s largest Techno-Management Fest:
• Head of Kshitij 2010; Member of Kshitij 2009; Volunteer of the Fine Arts Team in Kshitij 2008.
• Led Members to design as a Head.
• Designed many posters and websites both as Member and Head.

3. Spectra, the Fine Arts & Design Group of IIT Kharagpur:
• Governor in 2010-11; Head in 2009-10 and Member in 2008-09.
• Played pivotal role in planning & organizing all Fine Arts events with huge success during Spring Fest 2010 & 2011. Participation increased by about 50% & 67% respectively in almost every event compared to previous edition.
• Organized workshops on Film Making, Photography & Photoshop with almost filled to the capacity participation.

4. Social and Cultural Secretary of Earth Science Study Circle (ESSC) in 2009-10; Class Representative in 2008-09. It is the official society of the Department of Geology & Geophysics, IIT Kharagpur.

5. Student Member of the 3rd year [2009-10] and 4th year [2010-11] Departmental Academic Advisory Committee.

Extra Curricular Achievements :
• Won Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Gold Medal award for Painting in Shankar’s International Children’s Competition in 2004. It started in 1949 & presently receives more than 1,60,000 entries from over 130 countries every year. The award was presented by the President of India Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
• Won 3rd prize in Marca de Fabrica, the ad-design competition in Kshitij 2009.

Thanks in advance for responding to my profile inquiry.

Regards,
Saptak

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 08:58
At this point, you're really just shooting a dart in the dark. And that's fine. Go for ISB and HBS (as you indicated), and just simply put in 3 more schools that you'd like to attend. Trust me, the money that you have to spend again to submit scores to schools is nothing when it comes to the b-school itself. If you really want to aim for the top, just go for ISB, HBS, Wharton, Stanford, and MIT. But again, if you were to tell me that these 5 schools are the schools of your applying, I'd say it's a bit too ambitious and it's probably best if you spread your chips around. Again, it's too early to tell which schools especially the fact you're still in undergrad.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 5

Re: Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 06:38
Hi bakfed,

Thanks for the reply. I scored 740 (Q50, V40) in GMAT. What do you think of my chances at HBS 2+2? Will applying there be worth a try?
bakfed wrote:
At this point, you're really just shooting a dart in the dark. And that's fine. Go for ISB and HBS (as you indicated), and just simply put in 3 more schools that you'd like to attend. Trust me, the money that you have to spend again to submit scores to schools is nothing when it comes to the b-school itself. If you really want to aim for the top, just go for ISB, HBS, Wharton, Stanford, and MIT. But again, if you were to tell me that these 5 schools are the schools of your applying, I'd say it's a bit too ambitious and it's probably best if you spread your chips around. Again, it's too early to tell which schools especially the fact you're still in undergrad.

Posted from my mobile device Image

If you find this post useful, leave a kudos :smile: | GMAT Debrief: 740 in just 1 month with OG only!

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 20:07
I think you may have a shot at 2+2, although it's going to be hard as you'll competing with students who will have bluer-chip resume and profiles. I'm not familiar with 2+2 and its requirements, so I apologize in advance that I can't really answer much of the 2+2 questions. But one thing I know for sure is - applying always makes your chances of admission higher than not applying. If it's your dream to attend Harvard, why not give it a shot as long as you meet all the requirement?

Last bumped by saptak1990 on 16 Aug 2011, 20:07.

Re: Pro Eval & advice on 5 schools for GMAT score   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2011, 20:07