Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [84]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [21]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If [#permalink]
Alternatively, the step by step manual approach is:

Consider all possible outcomes about sign of x,y and their positions

SIGN POSITION
x y
+ + x sup to y
+ - x inf to y
- + x equal to y
- -
Go through each of the 4 cases and determine the number of possible outcomes: you will get 3 + 1 +1 + 3 = 8

The number of desirable outcomes is 1 ( + + and x sup to y).

Hence probability is 1/8.

Answer is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If [#permalink]
Probability of both x and y to be positive is 1/4 (quadrant 1). Probability of x>y is 1/2. So the probability of x>y>0 is (1/4)*(1/2) is 1/8.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [3]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
jamifahad wrote:
The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If a point(x,y) is randomly selected inside of the circle, what is the probability that x>y>0?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 3/8
D. 1/2
E. 3/4

The favorable region will only be on the first quadrant between lines
y=0 AND y=x

The angle formed between these two lines from the center(0,0) = 45 degrees. Thus, the favorable sector within the circle will be 45/360=1/8 of the entire circle.

Ans: "A"

A picture would have explained it better. I don't have the tool handy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I got it. OA is A.
One question, will the slope of line y=x matters? Like if a line is y=4x, probability will still be 1/8?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
jamifahad wrote:
I got it. OA is A.
One question, will the slope of line y=x matters? Like if a line is y=4x, probability will still be 1/8?

y=x is imperative.

If y=4x
For x=1, y=4; but we want x>y. Moreover, the sector formed by x-axis(y=0) AND y=4x won't be (1/8)th of the entire circle; it will be more than 1/8 as the angle formed by the x-axis and y=4x is greater than 45 degrees.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
So i guess for condition x>y>0 only line can be y=x with slope 1. Other lines of form y=mx where m is not equal to 1 will not satisfy the condition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
x>y>0

x>0,y>0 can only be possible in first quadrant.

x>y>0 can only be possible in one half of the first quadrant
(imagine line x=y line passing through origin , which cuts the first quadrant into two equal parts.)

=> likely outcome = (1/2)((2*pi*r)/4)= (2*pi*r)/8

probability = likely outcomes/ total outcomes

= (2*pi*r/8)/(2*pi*r)

= 1/8

Answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Bookmarks
The probability of x & y > 0 in a circle is 1/4 ( Out of 4 quadrants only 1st satisfies the condition)
Now since x>y , so there would be half such points in the first quadrant.
Hence prob = 1/2 * 1/4 = 1/8.

P.S This probability also includes half of points for which x=y. IMO this is an incomplete question as nothing is mentioned using which we can calculate the number of points having x=y.
P(x>y) + p (x=y) + p(x<y) = 1
But in this question, we are ignoring P(x=y).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Point (A,B) is randomly selected inside of circle
x^2+y^2=1. What is the probability that A>B>0?

M sorry i don't have the options! :(

Answer is 1/8 though but can somebody please explain how.
Thanks in advance!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
nshang wrote:
Point (A,B) is randomly selected inside of circle
x^2+y^2=1. What is the probability that A>B>0?

M sorry i don't have the options! :(

Answer is 1/8 though but can somebody please explain how.
Thanks in advance!

X^2+Y^2= 1, means radius = 1 centre origin(0,0)

If both a and b > 0 , the point has to be in the Ist quadrant. That gives a probability of 1/4.

Out of the quarter circle in the first quadrant 1/2 the sector will have a> b and the other half will have a< b
therefore its 1/2*1/4 = 1/8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1323
GMAT 1: 490 Q41 V18
GMAT 2: 610 Q45 V28
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Having a hard time speculating probable scenarios. Could someone please explain this with a picture for species like me? :D

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 2.79
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
kannn wrote:
The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If a point (x, y) is randomly selected inside of the circle, what is the probability that x > y > 0?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 3/8
D. 1/2
E. 3/4

1st Quadrant, portion below x=y line is the region which satisfies x>y>0, which is 1/8 of the area of circle and required probability.

Refer image
Attachments

File comment: Solution by geometric division
IMG_20171002_220352.jpg
IMG_20171002_220352.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 13494 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
[quote="Bunuel"][quote="ranaazad"]The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If a point(x,y) is randomly selected inside of the circle, what is the probability that x>y>0?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 3/8
D. 1/2
E. 3/4

If this statement was just X>Y and didn't include the 0 limitation, then would the answer be 1/2?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
thinkpad18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ranaazad wrote:
The center of a circle lies on the origin of the coordinate plane. If a point(x,y) is randomly selected inside of the circle, what is the probability that x>y>0?

A. 1/8
B. 1/6
C. 3/8
D. 1/2
E. 3/4

If this statement was just X>Y and didn't include the 0 limitation, then would the answer be 1/2?

Right. In this case the region would be under the blue line, which is 1/2 of the circle.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
How do I know that exactly half the values of Y will be greater? I mean it does make sense from looking at it, indeed, but I did not know that I can actually infer that with certainty. What is the property behind this?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Given a Circle with the Center at the Origin (0 ,0)

no matter the Size of the Circle, because a Circle is defined by a set of Equidistant Points from the Center, we will have a 1 in 4 chance to pick a Point that lies in Quadrant 1

we are Given that: X > Y > 0

the only Quadrant in which X and Y are both (+)Positive is Quadrant 1

However, there is 1 Further Constraint ------> X > Y

the Line Y = X is given by the UPWARD Sloping, Straight Line that passes through the Origin and creates a 45 Degree Angle with the X-Axis

Within the Confines of Quadrant 1, the Region defined by: Y < X ------> is the Region bounded by:

the Upward Sloping Line X = Y

and

the X-Axis

this is exactly 1/2 of the Entire Region of Quadrant 1

(1/2) of (1/4) = 1/8

we will have a 1/8th chance of picking a Point that Lies in this Region

-A-
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts