Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [44]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [19]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Other, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [3]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-08-2014
GPA: 3.23
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Maxirosario2012 wrote:
Hi...
I don´t understand why permutation matters here. I think this problem is about combinatorics.
In the family there is already one girl. Then the probability of a second girl is 1/2.
Why does it matter whether the girl is the first or the second in the family?. I know that I am wrong but I don´t understand why.

The question never says that the first child is a girl. If it was so, then the probability would indeed be \(\frac{1}{2}\).

But here we need to consider following two cases:

1) The first child is a girl
In this case there are two possibilities - \(GB, GG\).

1) The first child is a boy
In this case there is just one possibility - \(BG\).
Notice that \(BB\) is not possible as the question explicitly states that one girl is a child.

Hence the probability is \(\frac{1}{3}\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability [#permalink]
I still do not understand this... How is GB different than BG?

If you walk up to a couple and already know that A) they have two children and B) one is a girl....

then half the time they will have two girls and half the time they will have a boy and a girl...

Can someone confirm this? Seems like people are regurgitating information straight from the solutions instead of actually thinking through the problem.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [4]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
eltonj wrote:
A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability of having a girl or a boy is 50%, what is the probability that the couple has two daughters?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

If you walk up to a couple and already know that A) they have two children and B) one is a girl....

then half the time they will have two girls and half the time they will have a boy and a girl...

Can someone confirm this? Seems like people are regurgitating information straight from the solutions instead of actually thinking through the problem.

First child ---- Second child:
B ---------------------------- B;
B ---------------------------- G;
G ---------------------------- B;
G ---------------------------- G.

We know that one if the kids is a girl. So, we have one of the three cases in red. Each case there is equally likely (each has the probability of 1/2*1/2=1/4). So, the probability of GG is 1/3.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:
A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability of having a girl or a boy is 50%, what is the probability that the couple has two daughters?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

We know that one if the kids is a girl. So, we have one of the three cases in red. Each case there is equally likely (each has the probability of 1/2*1/2=1/4). So, the probability of GG is 1/3.

Hope it's clear.

Hello, thank you kindly for your response. I fully understand how an answer of 1/3 is found. That being said, I am still not sure why BG and GB is being treated as two separate cases. In my mind, the problem looks like this:

Child Child
B ----------- B
B ----------- G
G ----------- G

I don't see the need to have BG and GB. This problem has nothing to do with the order of the children. We know they have a Girl, so they either have a boy and a girl or two girls.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
eltonj wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

Hope it's clear.

Hello, thank you kindly for your response. I fully understand how an answer of 1/3 is found. That being said, I am still not sure why BG and GB is being treated as two separate cases. In my mind, the problem looks like this:

Child Child
B ----------- B
B ----------- G
G ----------- G

I don't see the need to have BG and GB. This problem has nothing to do with the order of the children. We know they have a Girl, so they either have a boy and a girl or two girls.

Having an older girl and a younger boy is different from having an older boy and a younger girl.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Age is 100% irrelevant in this question, all we care about is gender. The answer is 1/2.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [3]
Send PM
Kudos